1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PA500 series : where are HDMI and VGA inputs located?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by napp, Apr 6, 2005.

1. napp

napp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, since I'm waiting to buy a new TH-42PA500 or a TH-50PA500 I'd like to know where the HDMI and VGA input are located on the display. Hopefully they aren't on the front panel (under the glass) because I'm going to connect a videoprocessor via HDMI or VGA (the one that looks better).

Thank you for the information!

napp

2. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember VGA but the HDMI is definately on the rear

3. tomleeeee

tomleeeee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VGA is on the front. HDMI on the rear. :) Hope that helps.

4. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    napp

Enquirer is correct - the 15 pin D-Sub (VGA) input has now been moved to the rear of the new Vieras

Regards

Alastair :hiya:

6. napp

napp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Very good news, thanks to everybody. That will allow me to connect a videoprocessor stablily.

Talking about the new Viera series, I've been told that it is based on the PWD7/PW7 professional 7-series panel, is that right? Actually comparing the spec/feature sheets the only difference is in the maximum number of displayable colours (but someone even argues that). What is the truth?

:) Thanks,
    napp

7. 16millman

16millman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like the one I have been waiting for all these years! Purchase of a plasma is now imminent I think.

A few queries. Does anybody know if the speaker system can be configured to be a centre speaker. There's no centre speaker input mentioned on the pdf so I guess not. Will it have 7 day EPG? Has anybody seen one in the flesh and do you know of any reviews?

Cheers

8. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    According to Panasonic, it's the new G8 screen. Supposed to have more colours, more levels, slightly brighter... Still might be telling porkies though :)

9. napp

napp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, there's a lot of confusion about this G8 panel of Viera!

Regarding the colour levels the specs say "2048 levels of gradation in the darker parts of the image (VIERA)" , "2048 shades of gradations in dark scenes (PHD7/PW7)" : the same.

VIERA declares an equivalent of 8.6 billion of colours, but only for the darker part of the image while 3.6 billion colours (like PHD7/PW7) for full-time/full-pixels (what does it mean?!).

About brightness : yes they're 10 to 20% brighter than the previous Viera series (PA30), but the previous Viera was based on the professional 6-series (PHD6/PW6) that WAS 10 to 20% less bright than the new professional 7-series (PHD7/PW7). Do VIERA PA500 and 7-series have the same brightness, as well?

I get a better price for a 42PHD7 or a 50PHD7 than a VIERA PA500, I don't need integrated speakers or analogue tuner, I like minimal look and I'd like to understand if they're exactly the same panel :)

Thanks, napp

10. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The new Viera screens are supposed to use a new plasma gas in them that give a brighter image and is also less prone to screen burn.

11. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I thought that the current PHD7 screens are not Hi-Def ready (i.e. HDMI/DVI @ 50Hz & HDCP be it 720p or 1080i) where as the new PV500 Vieras are.

S.

12. dempsey

dempsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it will have a 7 day epg, Yes I've seen one in the flesh and it looks very good :D

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    napp

I have to say if your looking to use an external Video Processor for optimising your video signals I'd be tempted to wait on the Series 8 'Display' models rather than a Viera PA500!

I've not seen a final spec as yet but there is still the outside chance that the DVI Input will accept Native Rate at 50Hz and 60Hz; you can achieve Native rate at 60Hz via DVI with a 7 Series so hopefully they retain that feature when they introduce support for HDCP encoded 720P(50) and 1080I(50) on the new range.

As far as on-screen colours and the like do keep in mind the figures you see quoted will only apply to one input signal - as they do with the current and previous models.

The maximum displayable colours possible is usually only available if you Input a Progressive 60Hz signal as that requires the least amount of 'other' processing on-board the Display - leaving the video processor to get on with producing lots of colours.

From what I've read the Video Processing in the 8 Series is non linear - it's designed to work harder at reproducing fine detail in the dark area of an image; I guess Panasonic feel they already do a good enough job in the brighter areas!

Best regards

Joe

14. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Joe,
    Do you know what the time frame is for the series 8 display panels.

Pemberto

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Pemberto

The trade will see them in August and then it'll be a staggered release of the various sizes - well that's what's happened every year for the last few years :)

Best regards

Joe