Question Panasonic p65VT65b Stolen - want larger replacement

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Braddersmd, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Braddersmd

Braddersmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

Do dark clouds reveal blue skies? So, we had a break in, just before the house became liveable after a complete renovation. Last year, I bought a couple of Panasonic TX-P65VT65B to go in the lounge and living room. I opened one, to watch at my temporary abode, and the other remained boxed, brand new. The new boxed TV was awaiting install, and stolen along with a raft of other gear (Sonos, AV stuff and my Artcoustic Speakers!!).

So, now I've moved in, I am looking to replace the stolen items - and it's TV choice time.

As I can't buy the Panasonic anymore, and am in situ with the other, I've decided it's too small for the living room area - so what larger TV do I replace it with?

It's been suggested that I look at Samsung (JS9500 88" or 78"), Sony (AV model : FW-75X8570C), and general suggestions to look at LG and Panasonic too.

Trouble is, I have not been looking at TV tech for over a year, and don't really know where to start. The Panasonic's I bought before came recommended as the best of the bunch, after I'd owned a Pioneer LX5090 previously.

What would you all recommend, above 65", that will fill my empty space? All costs considered.

2. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
  3. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,806
    In your position I'd be looking for an LG 65" OLED.

LEDs like the Sammy mentioned above have come a long way but I still wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. They just can't match a decent plasma (and you've owned a few by the looks of it).

4. Braddersmd

Braddersmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the input guys. Have to say that I am leaning towards the 78" Samsung JS9500, as the equivalent sized OLED is £25K. Perhaps it's a bit too early for OLED for me.

The wall looks a bit lost with a 65" TV on it to be honest - does anyone have any further suggestions for a larger set?

5. Braddersmd

Braddersmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  6. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    If i had that sort of distance i think i would be happy with perhaps a 78" AND a projector, have you considered having a projector as well as your tv ?

7. Braddersmd

Braddersmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I certainly have considered a projector. The square on the ceiling is a lift, and the screen is already installed at the far end (AT, 3.5m 2.35:1). The projector is one of the new Epson LS10000. Neither are setup properly yet.

I am erring towards the 78" to be fair. Unless a better suggestion comes up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Pedrick

Pedrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What speakers did you have??

9. Braddersmd

Braddersmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had Artcoustic 120-36 SL 12-6 left and right, a C-2 SL for the centre, and 40-30 SL 4-2's for the L&R surrounds. Thankfully the ceiling mount 4-2's were left behind.

10. Pedrick

Pedrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I hope the insurance are going to cover like for like. Sounds like a great setup you have there

11. Braddersmd

Braddersmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sadly not. The house has undergone a major renovation. The insurers have refused to pay out as I was not living there, and failed to notify them I was having work done. Sadly my fault for not checking - a word of caution to anyone in a similar situation.

I have my fingers crossed for the system - not even got it up and running yet, and the replacement speakers are weeks away!!

12. Pedrick

Pedrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    So are you replacing like for like?? What amps and processor do you have?? Am a large artcoustic fan.
    What sub are you running.

13. Braddersmd

Braddersmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, replacing those like for like - mostly because I've never had chance to hear them yet!

I will have 3 Linax Subs in there, possibly overkill, but the room is open to the kitchen at the rear. The subs are driven by their own amps, the rest by a Denon X7200 and a Rotel RMB-1506. It's all run from a separate room, via HDAnywhere HDBaseT, where the amps are also hosted. I cannot wait to actually get it up and running! The whole system is RTi controlled (screen, projector lift, curtains etc).

14. Pedrick

Pedrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sounds great. Why have you got the addition of the power amp?? Is this for other zones.

I currently have front room In 5.1 and zone 2 with some older 120-43 that sound awesome. Want to upgrade my lounge fronts to 75-55 but that won't be for a while and looking into new sub. But unsure if to go artcoustic or try something different currently have old rel. but need more for the room.

15. Braddersmd

Braddersmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The specifier/installer spec'd the system, so I will check with them about the power amp and let you know - obviously the install has been delayed pending replacement items arriving.

16. Pedrick

Pedrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry also in reply to the initial question. I would wait until the speakers are on the wall as this will change the look completely. We have a 42" plasma for everyday watching and then the screen in front for films. Similar to your setup. We are sat about 4.5 meters from the screen. And find it no issues. Also I wouldn't go mad on the latest tech for TV. Every year there is a new best product out there. But will be sometime before real improvements can be seen.