1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic P6 or P7 with Bose Lifestyle - Advice Appreciated!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Santy, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided recently that I 'need' a Plasma and home cinema set-up and having recently seen a friends Panasonic TH-43PWD6 I was very impressed with the picture quality of the Panasonic unit...

I have been waiting for the Panasonic TH-42PWD7 to be released in Charcoal for a short while now as I do not like the silver units and feel that black will look smarter in my particular room.

Having read some of the threads on the forum (which is great by the way :) ) I am absolutely gob smacked about the amount of debate about what extra benefit the P7 delivers over the outgoing P6 model...

That aside, I think that I have made a decision to go down the P6 in charcoal route given that Panasonic themselves do not know when the charcoal P7 is likely to arrive!

I want some advice regarding the best use of Bose Lifestyle units as the AV driving amp from a sound / picture quality perspective.

I am in the process of buying a Lifestyle 38 system and intend to wall mount the plasma with the following connection set-up:

Sky into a JS Technologies RGB to Component (YUV) converter.
    The above will feed into the Component In on the Bose
    Bose to Plasma via Component BCN to Component BCN in back of Plasma

X Box to Plasma / PS 2 to Plasma via S-Video.

Plasma will be fitted with a Component (BCN) / S-Video board.

I just wanted to know if this all sounded like a sensible approach and has anyone out there already gone down this road. If so what are the results like, any glaring errors that I have made, anything else that I should invest in, help appreciated and all comments welcome good, bad or Ugly.

Thanks in advance,

Santy

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    MAW and Hornydragon have made some comments recently regarding Bose kit.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Taking my name in vain? I have serious issues with Bose, the most extensively marketed AV firm in history. You can do hugely better for quality of sound, and picture come to that, with less money. For a lifestyle 38 equivalent, how about Onkyo 55 series amp/DVD, and a 6.1 speaker system from Anthony Gallo? It will blow the Bose out of the water, and cost £2475 if you go the whole hog, micro surrounds, A'diva fronts, Due centre, and £1700 if you go micros all round, and a TR1 sub instead of the big boy. It will still knock spots off the bose.

4. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Avoid Bose.

Had a Bose 5.1 set-up, have admit I fell for their super marketing ploy. Got rid of them immediately always get a good price for them at ebay, probably because the general public consensus is “ they’re the best they’re Bose”.

If possible try and demo Bose against some other well know manufacture (i.e Kef, B&W etc etc). You’ll hear the difference.

Have a look at:
    http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Santy great idea mate but run Xbox and PS2 Via component as well you can run 4 YPbPr connections to a panny 6....... great unit! as for your choice of system.. DEMO and let your ears decide.... I personaly porefer the Fujitsu HHA or HCA unit with Bose kit.... (has fewer connections) better warranty more expensive IMO better PQ for video sources and easier to setup..........

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You bin at the bottle again, Horny? Firewater I presume.

7. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Santy

Don't buy it :suicide:

For the money you can do a lot better. What's your budget?

8. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Some of us have of course bought Bose products even after reading the the above website. :boring:
    As Horny said get a demo and use your ears.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And get them syringed 1st. Most Bose dealers will not demo Bose against other makes. Wonder why not?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I did.........................people still bought it even after i forced them to admit the £2500 bose syetem didnt sound as good as the £1600 (£1900 with DVD ) demo system......

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I suppose thay goes to show that Bose is best, never mind what it sounds like. Have alook at www.anthonygallo.co.uk and see if you like the look.

12. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a note to counterbalance all of this audiophile retoric .

I was going through exactly the same decision as you a few months ago. Perhaps like yourself I didn't want my living room to look like a hifi shop & wanted to go for the Bose. I read alot of ranting on here & seriously considered moving away. I auditioned the Bose then listened to the Gallo's & others but in the end went back to the Bose.

Now I'm very happy with the set-up. - statellites are positioned on the ceiling beams & the sub is hidden along the side of the sofa - people can't even see the speakers when they come in the room. The sound is superb for movies especially in 5.1 & it;s great for CDs as well.

Don't believe the hype - decide for youself mate!

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's not hype, it's 'Lope'! Best advice in the last line as usual, listen and decide. I can't believe anyone would prefer Bose to Gallos though, appearance or sound. You've also got to take the cabling into account. This can be good or bad, depending on your layout. The bose links to it's own or any othe system with a kind of umbilical cable from the amp to the 'sub', or 'Accoustimass' as Bose put it. It's a thing that reminds me of a tower PC case, usually beige just like one. The speakers are wired out from that. It can be a total pain in the **** or it can be a godsend. Mission do the same with the FS series NXT speakers, for exactly the same reasons. To make a stab at reasonable sound, where the voices come from the screen, you need that sub thingy at the front of the room, cos the speakers have absolutely no bass at all, nothing below about 270Hz, ie Michael Jackson's voice. Nothing wrong with that bit, it's a sub/sat system after all, but sounds down to about 100HZ are still strongly 'directional' so the bass half of the soundtrack can be heard coming from the sub, like the BBC newsreader etc. So if the sub is not near the screen, the voice and the picture will be coming from 2 different places. Mission suffer from this too, careful sub placement is the cure. Or get some satellite speakers that can go down to 100HZ, then you can stick the sub more or less anywhere. But then you need a sub cable trailing around the room, we're starting to chase our ass here!

14. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for some balanced advice, it is very much appreciated.

I have listened to a lot of Audio gear and I arrived at the Bose system using very similar assessment criteria to those used by AndyAtkins (thanks for the post mate).

I have a relatively small front room and at the moment this is dominated with floor standing speakers and my rear satellites simply do not fit in... Therefore the only real solution for me is a discrete, customer home cinema install that sounds really good (maybe not the best, that point is true) and is pretty much integrated.

I have all of the separates at the minute, DVD, XBox, PS2... The list goes on, the Pana P6 or P7 & Bose is really to de-clutter the front room and (hopefully) arrive at a set-up that allows me to avoid going to the cinema at all (I hate cinema's, full of spotty teenagers making a nuisance of themselves whilst you try to watch a movie)...

Anyway, neither item bought just yet, but like I said, it would take serious problems to deviate me away from the Lifestyle system, I actually prefer the sound to many of the other systems I tried...

It's also worth mentioning that I am a bit of a sound fanatic, and I agree with some of the posts on here... If you heard and like it, just buy it.

* * Has anyone had any serious problems with Bose (i.e. component in or out problems, or incompatibility with say the JS Technologies converter)???

Thanks

15. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Bose fans if you like them fine, you go by (buy?) your own ears. A friend of mine has them and I think they are appalling. Even my 9 year old son asked why my friends system was broken..................

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You won't need any converters, and no, everything works as Bose intended it to. BTW they don't actually do dolby digital, it's a sort of 5 channel stereo, that's what Bose people like, they like to hear the surrounds working. Some people think they've been done when the surrounds only pipe up whe there's an effect that needs them.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    BOSE 2-3/5 channel processing is there own...... BOSE in stereo is useless.... and rears can chrip constatly with certain things Sky news is one if you use Bose in 5 speaker mode....MAW the DVD HU lifestyles are DD5.1 the older CD based systems werent..

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll bow to your bose product knowlege. What about the 25/28 though? They have no DD/DTS logos, and seem to operate in 5ch stereo mode all the time?

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    25 older Bose processing 28 DD as are 18 and 35 IIRC dont think they like DTS though!

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And Pro logic 2? Or is that when they run Bose logic 5? Ie just turn them all on.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think they use BOSE algorithm for all none encoded sources............... Very chirppy rears...... on normal TV.... it does process the difference frequencies to doifferent channels and the 2/3/5 speaker button is a wonderful way to demo soundfields and what surround sound can do...............

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is obviously far superior to the dolby algorithms used by the rest of the world then. I can't hear the difference between the channels, they all make the same noise. I think they've hit on the point I made above, that people want to hear the rears in action. They do have the best marketing in the business, there's no doubt. Everyone's heard of Bose, and most percieve them as 'good'. Sorry bose guys, but it's a scientific fact that they are pants accoustically, they do not accurately reproduce sound. Having said that, of course this is not necessarily what Joe Punter wants. He wants a badge, like buying a Tommy Gear sweatshirt. Bit too Ali G for me.

23. Santy

Santy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, thanks for the posts but now i'm more confused than before.

Bose LS38 does support Digital 5.1, but am i right in thinking that many of you think that it sucks!?

I'm confused, I have heard music through Stereo mode, very good. Hear movie with cross channel switching and front to rear / vice versa effects, and was very impressed...

Not sure if it's just that some people have heard older systems, or demand much more than me from a system??? I also know though that I don't want to pay the best part of 2-3k for a load of crap.

I also don't want my lounge littering with big (or small) speakers that look like a pile of S**t, it's not a label thing with me, I just need a discrete system as posted earlier as a requirement.

Thanks guys, hope this thread not P*****g anyone off. Any final verdicts appreciated.

P.S. Buying the Bose off a guy on eBay - risky I know but going for a face-to-face meeting (American or Canadian guy from London). Anyone else bought Bose off ebay?

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would be very wary of buying hi end kit off ebay especially stuff like BOSE as any muppet thinks its a good deal....... Bose LS38 has been out in the US for a month Maximum......... so how old does he reckon it is? Does he have original reciept? LS38 isnt out in UK yet as far as i know....... November launch.... So you cant have heard it............. (i may be wrong but 38 and 48 are very very very new if they are out) Go to a BOSE dealer you'll be able to knock 10% off or get a load of free cables and wall brackets or floor stands

25. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your sympathies :D You of course are absolutly right that frequency reproduction is far from flat, Bose has midrange holes and the sub does not go to subsonic frequencies.
    However, I'm having dejavu when I say that I can't remember the last time I went for a 20Hz - 20kHz hearing test, in my living room, to make sure I can enjoy the flattest curve money can buy.....
    I would admint that Bose has a 'sound' of it's own and I don't percieve it to be poor quality. I am not a panalist from What HI FI but I know what sounds good to me.

I would have thought an Akai midi system with lots of lights would be more akin to the 'consumers' you describe innit.

26. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Alan, you not being a panellist from what Hi Fi is a character reference in my books! But no, akai is not percieved asa 'quality' brand even if it does have the bling factor.

27. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's fine that you might not want as much from a system as some of the people on this forum who treat home cinema as a hobby. You are in the same boat as the majority of this country. My girlfriend has a £300 all in one, which provides the quality that most people would be very happy with.

However, Why spend this much money on a system when you can achieve what you of after for far less?

I would definitely take the advice of previous posts and demo some other equipment. If after that you decide you that you can't get anything you like better for the same money, or anything of the same quality for far less, then who cares about science, buy the Bose.

28. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Well put Todda :thumbsup: