Panasonic P50V10 screen burn or image retention? ;(

fizzgog

Hi guys, had my plasma for a couple of years now but it is increasingly having issues with image retention :(
I watch a lot of sky sports news hd and the white box at the bottom of the page is staying/burning onto the screen.
It is really visible against dark and especially light uniform colours.
It began to happen ages ago but would clear, now it is always there, even though i now watch sky sports news much less.
Is there anything I can do or is it too late?
Thanks for any help.
Pete

slc79

Reason for this happening is probably the phenomenon called rising blacks. Unless you watch a lot of tv in the dark you're not that likely to observe it, but your panel's black levels has incrementally been raised since about 500 hours in use, and at one point they reach a level which seems to cause image retention much easier. There is nothing you did wrong or could have done to prevent this from happening, and I suggest you contact your retailer about this.

This rise in blacks is a programmed feature and a part of the (rather flawed) design of the 2009 and 2010 sets. Allthough in the 2010 sets this happens much more gradually. For 2011, noone really knows yet.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Reason for this happening is probably the phenomenon called rising blacks. Unless you watch a lot of tv in the dark you're not that likely to observe it, but your panel's black levels has incrementally been raised since about 500 hours in use, and at one point they reach a level which seems to cause image retention much easier. There is nothing you did wrong or could have done to prevent this from happening, and I suggest you contact your retailer about this.

This rise in blacks is a programmed feature and a part of the (rather flawed) design of the 2009 and 2010 sets. Allthough in the 2010 sets this happens much more gradually. For 2011, noone really knows yet.

Yes agree with above contact your dealer ASAP about this it is well known about.http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1244103-2009-panasonic-plasmas-black-level-problems-after-1000-hours-part-4-a.html

If by a miracle this isnt the issue then try avoiding the channel for a while and run snow or another channel and see if it helps after a couple of days. IR will not directly lead to burn, however if it continues to retain the same thing continually for long enough burn is possiable as it will mean uneven wear. The most likely explanation is the rising mml level so first avoid the channel, second get on the ohone to you dealer, depending on response wright a letter explaining the situation to the dealer with recorded delivery. You may get lucky with your dealer, if not consumer rights comes into play, not easy to use so best to play nice with the retailer first.

Let us know how you get on, if you need further assistance on consumer rights and how to go about a refund or replacement pm Insanity202, he has first hand experiance in this area ands a very nice chap.

Last edited:

fizzgog

Thanks for the reply, I will contact them this week.
Is there any way of getting rid of the image in the meantime?
... Pete

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply, I will contact them this week.
Is there any way of getting rid of the image in the meantime?
... Pete

You can try avoiding the channel for a while, use a dead analog channel(snow) over night, theres also some slides, best to ask Insanity he knows just the ones. Does the image fade atall?

fizzgog

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try to find some snow when I get home today and avoid sky sports news.
Will also root out my purchase invoice and phone the retailer tomorrow.
Image doesn't seem to be dimming at all anymore :(
It is a ghosting, no colour - so far.
... Pete

fizzgog

Morning all
I found some snow last night but the tv dims and then switches off after about 10-15 mins. Is there any way to turn this feature off?
I also rooted out the invoice but I am stalling on phoning the retailer up as i am unsure on how to approach it and not sure what to say exactly.
Pete

fizzgog

Hi again guys, it turns out that the retailer where I bought this tv (peters hifi bromborough) went out of business in September 2011.
I got a 5 year warranty from the shop, is this in any way usable if i was to try and get it fixed as the image retention is still a problem.
Thanks for your time
Pete

fizzgog

image-3455981908.jpg

The worrying thing here is: "this is not considered a malfunction and is not covered by the warranty"
:(
Any thoughts guys? Or am I stuck?
Pete

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
If this is linked to the mll rise they need to deal with your set as this is them at fault not you. You may need to go the SOGA rout or ask Panasonic direct to do something.
The rising mll is a known issue so they should be more inclined to do something.

fizzgog

Thanks for the reply.
If they deal with my set, does that mean repair, replace or refund?
If they try to repair, will they be taking it away a while?
If they replace, will i get another of the same model/year?
If they refund, will i get what i paid or today's value/price of an equally spec-ed plasma?
Thanks
Pete

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Depends, they may offer a repair(new panel) or if too expensive may offer you a 2012 replacement they deem to be equal so maybe an ST50, hard to say. Repair will be done by a local engineer, maybe in your home or more likely taken away for a few days to their workshop. I was dealt with very well by Panasonic UK over my V20 very well indeed, a shame their normal CS wasnt as good first. Also didn't have as much joy with my GT30 that was disappointing.

fizzgog

Hi guys, no warranty = no fix ;(

I've just been to the panasonic store Chester and bought a txp55vt50b :eek:
Could yous please advise what is the best way to sell my current set and what yous think its worth?
Thanks
Pete

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, no warranty = no fix ;(

I've just been to the panasonic store Chester and bought a txp55vt50b :eek:
Could yous please advise what is the best way to sell my current set and what yous think its worth?
Thanks
Pete

Did Panasonic tel you that?

fizzgog

Panasonic have no record of me registering warranty and I have no evidence of it ;(
The service centre said that I would have to pay for fix if I cannot provide warranty information - they also said that it was unlikely that panasonic would fix an image retention issue under the warranty.
Pete

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom