• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic P50G10 fan noise

andyoz9

Standard Member
I have lived with my Panasonic P50G10 for over a week now.

Everythings great, but the fan noise is slightly annoying. We live in a quiet area, and I find the fan noise distracting, expecially when listening later in the evening at lower volume levels. The TV is in a big (600sq.ft) room and I sit about 15ft away and it is still clearly audible. How do people in much smaller rooms put up with it.:confused:

I don't understand why the G10 series has fans anyway. The Panny models "lower" down the food chain don't and the G10 has the NeoPDP low energy screen. Also, I find that the fans are just blowing cold air out the back of the TV, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of actual heat extraction happening so surely Panny could have given them a variable speed function.

Last edited:

andyoz9

Standard Member
I should add that I plan to build a TV wall and partially recess the plasma. I can include sound absorbent foam in discrete areas to help reduce reflected noise whilst still maintainging adequate airflow. I'm just surprised it has to come to this though. I really thought the latest plasma models had overcome this issue.

Last edited:

andyoz9

Standard Member
how many fans does the 50" have, i know the 42" has two.

The 50" has two fans as well. When you have two sources like that operating together, they can generate a "beating" sound at the low-frequencies that sounds like a rising and falling tone that beats over a periods of about 1-2 seconds. That's the part of the sound I find most audible.

Have you ever felt even mildly warm air coming from the outlet of your fans?

I know that it is more complicated than that, i.e. if the fans were turned off compeletly, the screen temp would ramp up quickly. But surely this depends on brightness, constrast settings and a variable speed fan would appear to make sense to me?

Last edited:

tvbox

Distinguished Member
This is quite weird- the lower spec X10 doesn't have any fans- is this because of this so called Neo Pdp stuff?

I would just cover it with masking tape or stick it in a recess:devil::eek::suicide:

Edit: The old PZ80 has fans but the PX80 didn't
Is it because of full hd? More pixels= more heat?

andyoz9

Standard Member
This is quite weird- the lower spec X10 doesn't have any fans- is this because of this so called Neo Pdp stuff?QUOTE]

I know. When I was researching the new Panny's, I must have read the X10 review which said it didn't have fans. Great, I thought, that's another plasma "issue" I could cross off my hit list. I then wrongly assumed the G10 would obviously NOT have fans as well because it's a lower energy screen.

I did check out the G10's in the shops but completely missed the fans. Becauise I had read that the X10 didn't have fans, I didn't really go looking for them on the G10 as I thought it was obvious they wouldn't have them as well :thumbsdow

andyoz9

Standard Member
Edit: The old PZ80 has fans but the PX80 didn't
Is it because of full hd? More pixels= more heat?

Yeah, I assume that's it.

I know those fans will lengthen the life of the screen, but surely running them even 30% lower speed would still extract enough air. Fan noise tends to ramp up over the last 20-30% of flow capacity, so even tweaking the flowrate down a little bit can bring about an audible difference.

bighfishing

when i had my plasma wall mounted it got quite hot, but now i have put it on a cantilever stand and the tv is about 8" from the wall it barely produces any heat at all, there's no heat coming out of the fans and the screen is only slightly warm. i think you right about variable speed fans, its quite obvious that when the tv is not wall mounted the fans could run a lot slower. i think some of the pioneers have fans on demand and ive heard they hardly ever come on.
once moving the tv from the wall to the stand the fan noise reduced quite a lot, the sound was magnifying of the wall. i think putting it is a recess will make things worse.

tvbox

Distinguished Member
disappointing for panasonic- especially with all their Eco stuff:rotfl:
It's simple to take a few fans off and save energy- what's wrong with that. Or you'll just have to make your panel overheat less- let's wait till 2010 when the 50H10:D is out

andyoz9

Standard Member
once moving the tv from the wall to the stand the fan noise reduced quite a lot, the sound was magnifying of the wall. i think putting it is a recess will make things worse.

You are right about that. The recess I build will have 20mm black acoustic foam in discrete areas to absorb some of the sound. The TV wall I want to build will be made out of this type of product anyway as it forms an absorber for the overall room acoustics.

http://www.gustafs.com/gustafs-panel-system/acoustics__316

The TV is currently on the Panny stand, sitting about 150-200mm from the wall. I hadn't thought about how the heat will increase when the TV is recessed. :smashin:

Last edited:

bighfishing

is your tv still within its return period, i noticed you have a buzzing problem as well. if it is within the return period and you want a 1080p plasma without fans you could try the panasonic S10 as it has no fans, but i think it will get quite hot in a recess.

andyoz9

Standard Member
Yes, the buzzing I can live with and treat easily with acoustic foam. But the fans generate more energy at the lower end of the spectrum and that is harder to treat.

I need to check out the differences between the S10 and G10. Is it just the NeoPDP then?

The S10 is 1080p so why doesn't have fans as well as the G10. I'm totally confused by all this???

Last edited:

alsina

Yes, the buzzing I can live with and treat easily with acoustic foam. But the fans generate more energy at the lower end of the spectrumm and thast is harder to treat.

So the S10 is the same as the G10 but doesn't have 1080? I have been so impressed with my upscaled DVD's and Freesat HD that I really wonder if I need the full 1080p (at least for the next 3-4 years).

The S10 is 1080p, but it does not have Freesat or the Neo-PDP panel so will use more power. The picture quality on the G10 is better than the S10 (deeper blacks for example). Would only suggest switching to the S10 as a last resort.

andyoz9

Standard Member
Ah, no FreeSat. That makes sense as I recall now the reason I went for the G10 was to get Freesat.

I just compared the spec's of the P50G10 and S10 and see that the S10 uses slightly less power. So the G10 screen is working "harder" hence the reason for the fans. If only Panny had a Firmware update that changed the way the fans operate. I can only assume the engineers have set the fan speed for their worst-case scenario of a recessed fitting.

I don't have a 5.1 system but do run it through a high-end 2-way system. How do people who have invested heavily in 5.1 systems put up with any fan noise. It would be loud enough to mask some of the wonderful low-level detail film mixes now have.

Last edited:

alsina

Check this comparison:
Products - Compare Products - UK & Ireland
As you scroll down, it will say power consumption and the G10 uses more due to fans :(
No freesat, 2008 Vreal 3 and only 400hz instead of 600hz
Hope that helped:)

When the G10 and S10 are set up correctly, the G10 uses less power. The fans have very little effect on power consumption. The reason for the lower power usage figures for the S10 is that they are set to very low contrast/brightness settings at the factory. Out of the box, the S10 has a very dark picture and the G10 has a very bright picture.

bighfishing

so once you get the S10 home and set it up properly by turning the settings up from the factory presets to show a similar picture to the G10, will it then use more power than the G10. if thats correct why does the S10 not need fans and the G10 does.

alsina

so once you get the S10 home and set it up properly by turning the settings up from the factory presets to show a similar picture to the G10, will it then use more power than the G10. if thats correct why does the S10 not need fans and the G10 does.

This is correct.

As to why the G10 uses fans when the S10 doesn't, this is not dependent on power usage, but more to do with how all the components inside the tv handle high temperatures. Internally the G10 is very different to the S10 in design.

andyoz9

Standard Member
Thanks Alsina. That's the sort of detailed information I need (I'm an engineer myself and know that things are never as simple as they first appear).

Do you agree that a variable speed option would have made sense. That way, the TV would adapt to it's mounting configuration. I guess there are cost issues though.

It really is the only fault I can find with this TV. Other than that, it's the best £1200 I have spend on any device, ever!

alsina

Thanks Alsina. That's the sort of detailed information I need (I'm an engineer myself and know that things are never as simple as they first appear).

Do you agree that a variable speed option would have made sense. That way, the TV would adapt to it's mounting configuration. I guess there are cost issues though.

It really is the only fault I can find with this TV. Other than that, it's the best £1200 I have spend on any device, ever!

I do agree indeed, but as you say, simplicity = cost saving = bigger profits (or smaller losses).

Unfortunately with the constant downwards pressure on prices, we are continually moving further away from the 'perfect' tv design and this will only get worse in the future. The new Panasonic Z1 is designed to be a 'flagship' tv and a showcase for what is possible without the usual financial restraint.

andyoz9

Standard Member
I have done some measurements of the fan noise.

With the TV switched off, the ambient noise level in my room is 18dBA. That's measured during the day - as I said, I live in a quiet area!

With the TV switched on, the noise level increases by 5dB to 23dBA at 3m from the front of the TV.

The measurements above don't tell the whole story though. I have looked more closely at the measured frequency spectra and at midrange frequencies (400-800Hz), the ambient noise level increases by 10dB with the TV switched on. That's what I am hearing.

To keep some perspective on this, many urban TV rooms would have an ambient noise level of 25dBA so the fans would be barely audible.

MahaRaja

The main reason I bought Pana PX80, a 720p screen is due to absence of fans, which I hate. I couldn’t stand the noise while I am watching the telly. You would have thought with the latest high end models, Pana would do away with fans, but no, they are needed, even in ‘neo pdp’ design. I think the fans would be still there in next year’s new models. I feel this is a limitation of plasma technology, after all LCDs don’t need fans.

My next TV would be LED LCD Tv, as I am not prepared to do - 200 hours of burn in, scared of screen retentions or burns and noisy fans….

alsina

The main reason I bought Pana PX80, a 720p screen is due to absence of fans, which I hate. I couldn’t stand the noise while I am watching the telly. You would have thought with the latest high end models, Pana would do away with fans, but no, they are needed, even in ‘neo pdp’ design. I think the fans would be still there in next year’s new models. I feel this is a limitation of plasma technology, after all LCDs don’t need fans.

My next TV would be LED LCD Tv, as I am not prepared to do - 200 hours of burn in, scared of screen retentions or burns and noisy fans….

Some top-end LCD's are fitted with fans as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom