• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic P42X10 versus the LG 42PQ6000

Coly48

Standard Member
Folks,

I'm just about to buy a tv and cant decide between these two. Both are £499 and both are HD Ready.

I traditional go for panasonic every time, however, the people at Richer Sounds tells me the LG is a better tv because it has 600 hertz rather than the Pany 42X10 which only has 100 hertz.

95% of the time I'm only going to be watching the freeview channels - again I'm told that the LG will make a difference because with the 600 hertz the picture will 'refresh' quicker.

Many thanks,

Colin

iybyisyl

Folks,

I'm just about to buy a tv and cant decide between these two. Both are £499 and both are HD Ready.

I traditional go for panasonic every time, however, the people at Richer Sounds tells me the LG is a better tv because it has 600 hertz rather than the Pany 42X10 which only has 100 hertz.

95% of the time I'm only going to be watching the freeview channels - again I'm told that the LG will make a difference because with the 600 hertz the picture will 'refresh' quicker.

Many thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin,
I'm caught in the same dilemma(freeview watcher predominantly), LG PQ6000 v's Panny X10 albeit as an added variable can't make the call between 50" or 42".. of interest where can you get the LG at £499, have seen it at £549 with a 5 year warranty at JL which i thought was a good deal?.. I'd be interested in your thoughts.. having looked at both TV's i'll be darned if I can spot the difference, albeit the viewing was in comet/currys so probably not the best/ideal viewing arena?

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Firstly the 600Hz thing is nothing to do with the refresh rate! it's to do with sub pixels & is mainly a marketing ploy, both sets are effectively 100Hz :)
The Panny has superior build quality, better blacks, better at resisting image retention but the LG might look nicer but you will be hard pushed to find a better TV than the X10 at this price level :)

Last edited:

Coly48

Standard Member
Thanks Paulr - This is the problem when speaking to a saleman - they tend to push the tv which suits them best! So just to be clear are you saying that the 600 hertz versus 100 herts spec makes little or no difference? (by the way both are 499 on the Richer Sounds web page).

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Thanks Paulr - This is the problem when speaking to a saleman - they tend to push the tv which suits them best! So just to be clear are you saying that the 600 hertz versus 100 herts spec makes little or no difference? (by the way both are 499 on the Richer Sounds web page).

No difference whatsoever, it really is nothing to do with refresh rate :)

paulr2006

Distinguished Member

OldNick

Hi Guys

I have exactly the same dilemma, although the fact that I had seen the 42PQ6000 for £430 was swaying me a bit. That was a week or two ago and now beginning to wish I had bought one then as I cant seem to find any at that price now. I think Makro had them on offer last week for £379.99 plus Vat.

Nik

Edit: Amazon has it for £449

Last edited:

Althotas

Firstly the 600Hz thing is nothing to do with the refresh rate! it's to do with sub pixels & is mainly a marketing ploy, both sets are effectively 100Hz :)
The Panny has superior build quality, better blacks, better at resisting image retention but the LG might look nicer but you will be hard pushed to find a better TV than the X10 at this price level :)

I'm sorry mate, but the 600 Hz feature has nothing to do with subpixels. It is working with sub-fields, which are a totally different thing. Just to let you know, last year one AV site has done a special test to check both the Panasonic and the LG 600 Hz features, and the second one was the winner. The Panasonic 600 Hz showed some image artefacts clearly visible, while on the LG the same image was almost perfect. Luckily, on the panasonic you can disable that feature from the OSD. While I personally think that it would really hard to see any differences during normal watching between a model that has (good) 600 Hz and the previous 400 Hz (PAL land), a small improvement, when it works good, can't be a bad thing. Instead, you were right when you said that the 600 Hz has nothing to do with the refresh rate.

Speaking about the 2 models, could you please explain me how you can say that the panasonic has a better build quality? Have you opened both the panasonic X10 and the LG PQ6000, and do you have the appropriate knowledge to undestand the differences between the components? Have you read any special review about that thing? From what every person can see, the LG has a better cabinet and it use better external materials. Please don't increase miths and legends, there are even too much around the web :).

The LG PQ6000 has a better video processing for SD sources (freeview at first), a complete setup from the standard OSD for professional calibration (ISFccc), and a much better audio section. In my opinion, it is a bit better choice, taking all aspects in the right consideration. While the panasonic has an absolute better low level on blacks (measured by instruments), if you don't watch it in a totally dark room it is hard to see differences between the two (pana and LG), when both are properly calibrated. Instead, it suffer of green ghosting as well as all the panasonic plasma, while not all people are really susceptible to that problem.

@ iybyisyl

If your viewing distance is about 3 meters or more, a 50" is the right choice. If it is less, let say 2.5 - 2.6 meter, the 42" would be better, expecially for viewing freeview channels.

Regards

NoisyNeighbour

I'm sorry mate, but the 600 Hz feature has nothing to do with subpixels. It is working with sub-fields, which are a totally different thing. Just to let you know, last year one AV site has done a special test to check both the Panasonic and the LG 600 Hz features, and the second one was the winner. The Panasonic 600 Hz showed some image artefacts clearly visible, while on the LG the same image was almost perfect. Luckily, on the panasonic you can disable that feature from the OSD. While I personally think that it would really hard to see any differences during normal watching between a model that has (good) 600 Hz and the previous 400 Hz (PAL land), a small improvement, when it works good, can't be a bad thing. Instead, you were right when you said that the 600 Hz has nothing to do with the refresh rate.

Speaking about the 2 models, could you please explain me how you can say that the panasonic has a better build quality? Have you opened both the panasonic X10 and the LG PQ6000, and do you have the appropriate knowledge to undestand the differences between the components? Have you read any special review about that thing? From what every person can see, the LG has a better cabinet and it use better external materials. Please don't increase miths and legends, there are even too much around the web :).

The LG PQ6000 has a better video processing for SD sources (freeview at first), a complete setup from the standard OSD for professional calibration (ISFccc), and a much better audio section. In my opinion, it is a bit better choice, taking all aspects in the right consideration. While the panasonic has an absolute better low level on blacks (measured by instruments), if you don't watch it in a totally dark room it is hard to see differences between the two (pana and LG), when both are properly calibrated. Instead, it suffer of green ghosting as well as all the panasonic plasma, while not all people are really susceptible to that problem.

@ iybyisyl

If your viewing distance is about 3 meters or more, a 50" is the right choice. If it is less, let say 2.5 - 2.6 meter, the 42" would be better, expecially for viewing freeview channels.

Regards

It seems like LG do some excellent plasmas with a great picture. Why cant they have no IR. I for one will not buy an LG till they solve this. To be honest if they suffer from bad IR in 2010 I fear for the other aspects of their plasmas(prob unfairly).

Now I reckon you perhaps can get a better picture on some of the LG tvs(with not as good blacks) but with the IR problem I will not buy from them.

When they fix the IR and the black levels I reckon they will provide a big comp to Panasonic which can only be healthy.

I have an X10 I have not worried about IR at all(this is how it should be). I press pause on sky + and go on the phone for an hour(perhaps a waste of power). If I have an LG can I use pause can people play xbox non stop ? Perhaps not all LG suffer from IR and if this is so then ok.

Last edited:

duncfunk

Having owned my 42PQ6000 I can definitely say that any IR problems with this set are seriously over hyped on this forum. There are very few channel logos that create IR and even if they're displayed for 2 hours they go in a few minutes at most. I've also starting gaming on my ps3 and not seen any IR. Not had 1 single problem so far and very happy overall :thumbsup:

There's practically no difference in pq between the 2 sets but I preferred the better colour accuracy of the LG over the Panas slightly better black levels. That and the better design, sound, calibration controls and the usb port :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom