• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic P42G10 questions

Snarf999

Standard Member
So I'm still up in the air between the G10 and the Samsung LE40B650, so I have some statements and questions.

From what I can tell having read too many threads (I even keep dreaming of TVs!)

The G10 is best in a slightly darker environment, i.e. during the day with the curtains closed, or at night with dim lights. The G10 also produces a better HD image with deeper blacks (but in said environment). The SD quality of the G10 isn't up to that of the Samsung.

The Samsung produces richer colours and obviously performs better when in a much light environment, i.e. during the day with the curtains open.

I keep hearing plaudits for both sides and I'm having alot of trouble deciding, and obviously ensuring I don't make the wrong choice! Thing being I seem to be stuck in the middle of the choices.

We watch alot of SD telly (i.e. Freeview, mainly because there isn't any other choice!). I have a Media Centre PC attached via HDMI, obviously recorded Freeview shows are just upscaled (the PC is outputting 1080i). The telly we watch is mostly evenings, but with either bright or dim lights, and obviously weekend watching during the day.

I don't plan on getting any other HD sources at the moment (though a blu-ray drive for the PC is only £52), but the added bonus of the G10 is Freesat, even if there are only a few HD shows at the moment, that can only increase. Is the SD quality on Freesat better/same/worse than Freeview?

Viewing distance is likely to be 6-12 feet, I understand at the low end of that I'll notice SD blockiness but improved HD clarity in the G10.

I've been leaning towards the G10 because of the Freesat inclusion which looks more towards the future, but the B650 sounds it might be more of a here and now TV. Most ratings don't separate the two, most comparisons lean one way or the other for the reasons set out above. Help?

Snarf999

Standard Member
Ok, I've now got a price match from John Lewis, £799 with the 5 year warranty on the G10 - I'm leaning more towards this now!

WGLOVER

Established Member
I am watching Masterchef on BBC2 Freesat ( my Virgin+ is acting a bit strange at this moment).
From about 6 feet away, the picture is excellent. Where this 'the G10 is poor at SD' comes from, I don't know.
I find the TV fine in a well lit room. In the evening, when the sun is blazing thro' the window, things are not so good, but putting it into Eco mode improves things immensely.

It is a blooming great TV:thumbsup:

tele1962

Distinguished Member
I am watching Masterchef on BBC2 Freesat ( my Virgin+ is acting a bit strange at this moment).
From about 6 feet away, the picture is excellent. Where this 'the G10 is poor at SD' comes from, I don't know.
I find the TV fine in a well lit room. In the evening, when the sun is blazing thro' the window, things are not so good, but putting it into Eco mode improves things immensely.

It is a blooming great TV:thumbsup:

+1:smashin:

mikey24

Standard Member
Ok, I've now got a price match from John Lewis, £799 with the 5 year warranty on the G10 - I'm leaning more towards this now!

I've seen the G10 on Richer Sounds for £709 but only with a 12 month warranty - £780 with 5 year.

Is it a bit dodgy bypassing the 5 year warranty for the sake of £70?

I know with most things I buy I never opt for the extra warranty and think why should I be different here but I get get the feeling things can go wrong very easily with HD TVs.

What do people reckon?

PANASONIC TXP42G10B at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

WGLOVER

Established Member
How would you feel in 18 months time should a black line appear down the screen?
That small amount is well worth it for peace of mind.

Snarf999

Standard Member
I've seen the G10 on Richer Sounds for £709 but only with a 12 month warranty - £780 with 5 year.

Find a John Lewis near the Richer Sounds store. Email JL and tell them about the RS offer, they'll send an undersales rep around to check it out. I'm sure the RS warranty is good, but I trust John Lewis and reckon their warranty may hold more strength. Definitely worth it considering the warranty is for 5 years, and the number things that could go wrong - it's only costing you an extra £15-20 a year.

WGLOVER

Established Member
Although my latest TV is from John Lewis, and I have only heard good things about them, I have had many dealings with Richer Sounds and am very confident about their integrity.

NICKSTER

Established Member

I know with most things I buy I never opt for the extra warranty and think why should I be different here but I get get the feeling things can go wrong very easily with HD TVs.

What do people reckon?

PANASONIC TXP42G10B at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Do not purchase a flat screen panel without a 5 year warranty!!!

I'm on my 3rd plasma tv from John Lewis within my 5 year warranty, and they're just so pleasant to deal with when something goes wrong (and there's a fair bet it will).

I started with a PX60, and it was replaced after 3 months with a PX70 due to a flashing pixel.

I have just encountered a vertical magenta line down the PX70 and as the repair is expensive (new panel required), and because John Lewis don't have have a comparable spec'd 37" plasma, I get to choose between the repair or a new tv. Just ordered the P42G10 instead of the repair : ) and because I'm spending a little bit more cash (it's complicated, I'd bought Panasonic's custom full length stand so it needs replaced as well) to get the G10 + new stand, I get a fresh 5 year warranty. John Lewis should employ me you know, I just love them.

So honestly, you'd be a fool not to get a 5 year warranty, and I'd recommend John Lewis. Not every warranty is the same and I think I may have had a fight on my hands to get my first 'flashing pixel' problem addressed by a different retailer...

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
G10 all the way, forget the Samsung. Compare the posts in this forum for instance. Can you find many on that particular Samsung model? Probably not. Can you find many on the G10? Its difficult not too! :)

Forget about this closing the curtains in the day stuff - its nonsense. Unless you have direct sunlight hitting the screen most of the day I wouldnt worry. (how likely is this with our weather?! ;))

Freesat is definitely worth having, dont forget you will need a dish of course! Freeview SD and Freesat SD seem identical to me (I have very near maximum signal on both). Freesat HD looks great on BBC and ITV.

Snarf999

Standard Member
Thanks guys, I think that just about makes my mind up. Time to head to John Lewis with letter in hand and hopefully return with a nice new telly :)

Oh, just noticed that JL have now changed the price of the G10 on their website to £799 which includes all the packages, good time to buy then!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom