1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Owners?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by KopiteLad, Nov 1, 2004.

1. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive recently bought the Tx32 PM1

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/pa/panasonic-tx32pm1.jpg

Couple of very annoying things happening at the moment, can you possibly tell me how I can fix them or avoid it from happening?

Firstly, apologies as I am new to all this, so my technical jargon is limited.

1 - When watching the TV [mostly when watching DVD's] the screen randomly seems to pop up with the word "Widescreen" on it, as though I have altered the aspect ratio. I was told by someone that the Panny's adjust to darkness and lightness, but the problems does seem to occur randomly, even when there is no chance of scene or obvious darkness/lightness?

2 - When watching TV, the black band across the top & bottom will pop up for some adverts/programmes and not for others. As though the screen ration has moved from zoom to widescreen [although it doesnt pop the word up onscreen as it does for the above problem]

3 - When you turn the TV on....and this may just be something that most TV's do [but as I say, im new to this and this is my 1st widescreen TV] the TV seems to make a loud-ish knock noise as you turn it on, and then the screen picture flickers green and purple and then its fine. Is this just a normal thing to happen as the TV is 1st turned on?

:lease:

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    KopiteLad,

(1) If you leave the aspect ratio on Auto, the "wide" message comes up when the TV detects a widescreen broadcast. Sometimes programmes are in widescreen but the adverts in normal ratio (cricket on Skysports for example).
    If you find the message annoying, lock the aspect ratio to widescreen. The adverts will then appear stretched but you won't keep getting the message.

(2) Again, it's the automatic aspect ratio system trying to fill the screen. As you say, it looks for black bars top and bottom. However, it's not perfect and often gets confused (like TG! :laugh: )

(3) The loud "knock" at switch on is the degaussing circuit demagnetising the screen. It's perfectly normal (and necessary). I'm a bit surprised that you see the flickering for a few seconds as this is normally suppressed to allow the picture to stabilise. However, if it comes good, not to worry.

Hope all this puts your mind at rest. :thumbsup:

3. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate.

Just in reply.

The screen changing has happened when I have had the set on "Zoom 1" and it has popped up with 'widesceen' although it doesnt appear to do much. Occasionally just seems to jiggle the picture for a split second then back to normal. Its just annoying when it keeps coming up saying "widescreen".

Im sure it must be something Im doing - as like I say, its all new to me.

How do I lock the screen to the setting i want?

Thanks

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597

5. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing ive noticed tonight......[god, im starting to regret buying this set the amount of annoying things im finding]....... is that if there is text across the screen. [especially noticeable if there is a 'ticker tape' type band across the bottom. More often found on sky sports/sky sports news.....you know the one that shows you the news headlines?]

well, as it comes across the screen the text warps. It moves from right to left across the screen. As it comes into view on the right it is elongated, and large. As it gets to the middle of the screen it is smaller and more normal looking, and as it moves off again to the left it gets larger again. Almost as if its a bowing effect.

If you can imagine the screen was a piece of card. The outside edges have been bent towards me and the middle away from me....thats the effect. Its really annoying me.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Unless you have a line linearity fault, the effect you see is due to the Auto Aspect Ratio setting as previously mentioned.

It stretches the outside of a 4:3 picture to fit the 16:9 display.

Again, nothing to worry about!

7. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

8. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a reply back from Panasonic today to say the following:

Thank you for your email enquiry.

In Automatic aspect mode, the image will change according to both the light
    and dark areas of the image and also fluctuations in the broadcast signal.
    Changing the ASPECT mode to a setting other than Auto with the ASPECT
    button should stop this from happening. Again, the actual image on screen
    (black bars etc) will vary depending on the aspect the broadcasters are
    sending (i.e. 16:9 or 4:3) and the aspect that has been selected on your
    television.

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    KopiteLad,

That sounds about right!

Now enjoy your new TV. :thumbsup:

10. DJjay18

DJjay18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the bowing, or blooming as I've read it's called, happens with a 16/9 broadcast in 16/9 mode. It's especially noticable when the action on screen pans from left to right, and with text as said.

Basically, I spent over £600 on that TV and it's a pile of [inappropriate word removed- lynx] I thought Panasonic was a top brand. Prob gonna swap for a Sony if I can.

11. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your TV seems to suffer from an "opposite to pincushion" or "hour glass" distortion problem. If severe, it should be corrected at a service center. My Philips 28PW6306 with a curved screen has a "pincushion" distortion, especially noticeable with 4:3 picture. It was worse, but has been reduced through geometry adjustments. But some you have to live with. As far as I know some bad conditions have to be corrected through repairing or replacing certain circuits.

12. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Panasonic's auto switching is very poor IMO.

Whilst watching just ONE featurette on Shaun of the Dead my PD30 jumped from auto to widescreen about 10 times.

13. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me about it....its so frustrating.

The picture just seems to go narrow and you know whats gonna happen next. Yes, pop, and its back to widescreen and the word "WIDE" pops up in the top left.

Ive binned the box my Panny came in, otherwise id be sending it back to the store I purchased it from. Im not happy one bit with it. :mad:

14. KopiteLad

KopiteLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else having probs?

15. MikeeH

MikeeH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panasonic TX 28PM1 display has become a distinct shade of green with little trace of blue - have tried the manual settings to adjust but no luck. This likely to be a fault?

Thanks in advance

16. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I too have my Panasonic set to auto most of the time, it is very annoying, but I do prefer a full screen so I usually leave it on.
    Nigel