1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic owners...Check your clocks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by g0pkh, Aug 15, 2005.

1. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

Had a timer record fail on my E500H last night.
    After checking the prog/check screen it seemed that the date was incorrect :(

still showing SAT 13th when it was in fact SUN 14th :confused:

The time was still correct however.

I then checked my older HS2 and that also showed the incorrect date, but correct time.

I Know this issue has cropped up before with the Broadcaster's data being incorrect.

Both machines are set to Auto Clock Setting. Beware it seems this cannot be relied on.

Pete

2. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Same thing happened on both my Pana E55's - noticed it when going to record Postman Pat for the nipper!

Left them on manual clock for now!

Delh68

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for the heads up I'll have a check tonight, although I think mine was fine as I had the E500 flash a warning at me as it wanted to record Top Gear which of course finished last week.

S.

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    It's just happened again on my E85s.

As I write this the date on BBC1 Ceefax is correct (Fri 26 Aug) but on BBC2 it is Thu 25 Aug. So do Panasonic machines use BBC2 for the auto clock I wonder?

5. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    Usually on VCRs and DVDRs with auto-clock setting you can sometimes manually select in setup which channel/broadcast to take the time from........check your manual.

6. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately not with the Panny Machines.

Well I can't find it anyhow.

I still have my clocks set to manual, since the last time. We will just need to double check the time displayed when in the Prog/Check screen.

Amazing how none of this new technology works properly, isn't it.
    First PDC, now the broadcasters can't even get the time and date right. :suicide:

7. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    and

You're both right. All my JVC machines (VCRs) have provision for selecting the source channel for the just-clock data. The default is channel 1 (i.e. BBC1 normally). But none of my Panasonic machines (1 VCR and 2 E85s) have this setting. All you can do is turn the auto-clock on or off.

I've just noticed that the Panasonic VCR manual (NV-HS830) says "The correct time for the VCR can be automatically maintained when the VCR is tuned to a station that transmits a time signal." This seems to indicate that it doesn't use a specific channel for the auto clock, it uses the channel it's currently tuned to. The E85 manual says something similar, but not quite as explicit. So perhaps you can use ITV, say, for the auto clock by always switching to ITV before selecting standby.

BBC2 Ceefax has the correct date now, by the way.

Do they drift much? I turned auto clock off when this first happened to me, but I found the drift on one E85 was quite bad, so eventually I turned auto clock back on.

8. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Out of interest I didn't correct the date, I thought I would see how long it took the auto clock to do it. The dates in both E85s were corrected automatically some time between 2.20am today (when they were still one day out) and 12.10pm today (when they were correct). A bit surprising since the manual says the time is checked several times a day. Granted I did switch the machines on a few times, but most of the time they were in standby. (It's possible the time check is only done if the machine is in standby.)

So the date is corrected automatically if you don't notice it's wrong. But if you had a timer recording set you might be left wondering why it recorded the wrong program (or did not record it).

On reflection I'm not sure about this. I've noticed this wrong date problem on three separate occasions now. On each occasion both my E85s have been affected (and on the two occasions I checked it I found my Panasonic VCR had been affected too). It seems a bit unlikely that I left all the machines tuned to the same channel on all three occasions.

9. Tuddy

Tuddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My Panny NV-FJ760 failed to record Coast last night and found that the clock was 24 hours behind. First time in over 4 years that's happened.
    Must be a Panasonic quirk!
    Set it to auto update and everything now okay.

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    I've had similar problems before on Panasonic video recorders, I've never checked the time on my Panasonic DVD recorders as I never record using the timer with them.

11. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    It's happened again.

A couple of timer recordings I set for this morning didn't work. They are still sitting in the Timer Recording screen and the date in that screen is shown as 1.10. SAT (i.e. yesterday).

As I write this, the date on CEEFAX 1 on BBC1 is Sun 02 Oct and the date on CEEFAX 2 on BBC2 is Sat 01 Oct (Sudbury transmitter).

So if you've got any timer recordings set for today on a Panasonic recorder it might be worth pressing the Prog/Check button and checking the on-screen date is correct.

(... and perhaps consider turning auto clock off.)

12. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I've just gone into the Clock screen to change the date.

With Automatic set to On, pressing Enter to update the date sets it to today's date, pressing it again sets it to yesterday's date, and so on.

Weird.

13. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi This is interesting, from reading back through this thread most of us who have had this problem are using the Sudbury transmitter.

Maybe we put try to contact someone about this problem, both of my recorders are now set to manual and I just try to remember to check the date and time regularly.

So much for modern technology, pity there does'nt seem to be a way to change the "time channel" on panny recorders. :suicide:

Pete

14. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The date on BBC2 was still wrong when I looked this morning, but it's correct now. And now, in the Clock screen with Automatic set to On, when I press Enter to update the date automatically, the date is set correctly every time. (Yesterday it alternated between that day's date and the previous day's date on successive updates.)

Do they drift much?

I agree. The strange behaviour of the updating yesterday makes me wonder if it alternately uses BBC1 and BBC2. Goodness only knows why, if it does.

I have given in and turned Auto Clock off.

Note for anyone turning Auto Clock off for the first time: Check you really have turned it off by coming out of the Clock screen then going back in. It should still be off. To turn it off you don't just set Automatic to Off, you must then press Enter, which stops the clock, and press Enter again to save the settings and restart the clock. If you don't do this the Automatic Off setting is not saved. If you want the time to start off exactly right, quickly advance the seconds a bit while the clock is stopped then wait for the real time (e.g. teletext time on another TV) to catch up before pressing Enter to save the settings.
    (These instructions apply to the E85. The clock adjustments may be different in other models.)

15. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hmmm, I've just got my first DVD recorder - the Panny EH60D.
    Only had it since Friday and it's missed 2 timer events :-(
    When I check, the events are still in the 'Prog/Check' screen.
    One of them was just a test though and, ten minutes before the event, the timer light started flashing but but it didn't record.

Should I set the clock update to 'off'?

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,767
    It's always worth checking that you had set the recording up correctly first. Did you tell it to record to the hard drive or to a DVD - if it was the latter, was there a recordable DVD in the drive ?

17. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Was set to HDD. I had been watching a DVD first and the player was left in DVD mode. Funnily enough, the second time (this one), the last column on the right (Space?) had a ! in.
    The first missed recording was Match of the Day on Saturday night.

18. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Was the recorder in standby at the time? And had you put it in Recording Standby (by pressing the Timer button)? The timer light flashes 10 minutes before a recording to warn you that it needs to be put into Recording Standby. I gather (from HelenS's posts) that the EH60D does not have to be in Recording Standby to make a timer recording if the machine is on, but it DOES have to be in Recording Standby if the machine is in standby. This seems an unfortunate half-way house towards getting rid of Recording Standby. You could easily forget that you set a timer recording earlier by the time you select standby. It might be best to get into the habit of always use Recording Standby. But I haven't used an EH60D, so I may have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

It's possible you were affected, but I would try making a few more timer recording tests if you've only just got the machine, and make sure you're setting everything correctly as JohnG suggests.

The ! indicates the recording cannot be made. It can be because there is insufficient space. It can also be because the timer is set to a time earlier than the current time. This happens if a timer recording fails or is interrupted.

The machine automatically does a Relief Recording on the HDD if there is no disc in the drive, provided there is enough space on the HDD. If this happens the title has a right angled arrow icon against it in the Direct Navigator screen.

19. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks. There was definitely enough space..
    Hmm, maybe I had put it into standby thinking that it doesn't have to have the timer button manually pushed. It wasn't set to an earlier time - it was programmed via EPG. Couldn't see an explanation for the ! in the manual.
    I know it goes across to HDD if space runs out thanks.
    Thanks again.

Ste

20. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maldonian did understand what I meant correctly, and I wondered also if this was your problem, sjw. If the recorder is in standby (timer not engaged) the recording won't happen - as in Panasonics of yore. If it's powered up, it will (or you can stop it if you so desire).