1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic or sony

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by John F, May 12, 2003.

1. John F

John F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I am undecided between the panasonic nvgs50 or the sony dcrtrv33 does anyone have either of these & what are your thoughts.
    thanks

2. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It's not an answer to your specific question but I've recently been in a similar position.

One of the camcorder mags currently has a review of the GS50, it doesn't come off too bad but they are a bit critical of it's performance so I've ruled it out. (It gets 79% and I think 85% is about the norm for a half decent camera with £1000 plus models in the 90s)

That left the Sony, I was looking at the TRV33 but I primarily want a camcorder to film our baby when it arrives which means lots of indoor stuff. After spending a lot of time looking into this the TRV22 actually has a better performance in low light situations because of its bigger CCD.

I've therefore gone for the 22, it will be here tomorrow and I let you know what I think.

If you are now cionsidering the 22 have a look at cnet for user reviews and camcorderinfo.com for a detailled 'expert' review

HTH

Jim

3. John F

John F
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    JimM
    I think your getting confused the 22 only has an 800,000 CCD where as the 33 has a 1mega pixel CCD. I had a look on the us site www.camcorderinfo.com & they didn't think much of either sony. The touch screen is a pain to use & there are other problems I think I will stick with panasonic this time.

4. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    John we are both right :)

The 22 has a lower pixel count than the 33 but it does have a 1/4" CCD compared to the 33s 1/6". It may not sound a lot but the bigger ccd lets in more light hence the good low light performance.

In the extended review on camcorderinfo it states that

'I was extremely impressed with the video quality of the DCR-TRV22'

but they do slate it's manual overide funtionality.

Personally I want the camera that gives the best performance for indoor point and shoot use, which appears to be the Sony 22. (To be honest I can't ever see me having to use the touch screen)

The Panasonic does look a sexy little camera though, if you do get one please let us know what you think of it.

I've also got my hands on a JVC GRDX95 at the moment so am going to compare that to the Sony as well.

Cheers

Jim

5. p306

p306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rare individuals can compare different models. Now reviews of TRV33 are emerging and it looks much better choice than TRV22 in picture quality and low light.