1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic or pioneer plasma ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by usman24, Aug 15, 2005.

1. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I own a Hitachi 42pd5200 alis panel> I am considering an upgrade. I have witnessed during my one year ownership of this plasma a variety of artifacts including noise on back ground surfaces [interior walls etc] and false contouring. I am using a denon 2910 hdmi to dvi cable.

Which plasma is the best out of panasonic or pioneer with least artifacts with sd discs and absolute minimal false contouring? [the most annoying to me] I don't mind upgrading to a hd model from either of these manufacturers.

any panasonic or pioneer owners out there who can advise on the picture gremlins listed above?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I think you are most likely to enjoy the Pioneer coming from the Hitachi camp. It will really come into it's own with HDTV too. My only misgiving with them is the possibility of an unsatisfactory scart picture, but make sure you demo them, preferably the PV500 and XDE if it's a TV you want. If not, and you'd consider a panel, I'd give it 6 weeks or so for the PHD8 to appear. That may be the answer to many people's dreams.

3. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thank you for your advice.

Does this mean panasonic and pioneer will not show false contouring on sd discs?

Also what is your recommendation in terms of black level and dark scene image quality in a dimly lit environment?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Both will be better in terms of black level than any ALIS screen, though obviously the Panasonic has blacker blacks than any other current panel. Personally I don't have a problem with the Pioneer black level, I find it a surprise after watching a Panasonic, but soon become accustomed. You do tend to find more shadow detail on Pioneers, even though the black is not very black, it's all a matter of taste if you are in the fortunate position of deciding between 2 of the best plasma TVs on the market. Hence the importance of a demo. Imagine your annoyance having spent all that money and finding you prefer the other one.

5. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny will do much better blacks, no doubt about it.

6. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only terll you of my own findings after having the 435 XDE for three days.

In an area where we are supposed not to get a decent freeview signal, with an 11 year old TV aerial, I can pick up 55 channels without blocking.
    The Analogue channels are as good as I was getting with my Philips 100htz CRT.
    The SKY signal is great, with the football excellent, and that's through an old Pace sat box (not Sky plus) connecting to the media box with an RGB scart
    The definition through component leads from my Denon 2900 DVD plaer is absolutely mind blowing.
    As for blacks, well, they are black. People seem to put too much store on "blackness" and not enough enjoyment of the screen.
    I have it on the wall, so this was my decision to go for the 435 instead of the PV500 as its much easier to get to the PC connections and if in the future I want to get an upgrade card.
    No noise from the screen or buzzing from the speakers, but sometimes a little sound from the fan in the media box, but then I use the speakers and not listen in perfect "silence" as it were.
    All in all I am VERY happy with my choice.
    You won't go wrong with either unit in my opinion.

7. britco

britco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i love the pioneer xde....& its got a separate media box to connect to...seen a hi-def demo of this tv & its breathtaking

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The current pioneer's have better black levels than the Hitachi? Not to my eyes - it's not even close. But this may be history with the new 6G Pioneer's claiming 1/3rd of current black levels, and is irrelevant to the original question of artefacts anyway...

It's very easy to test each screen with your DVD which shows artefacts. You may find it's the source that's to blame - digital very often goes a mess with gradients of colours like walls etc.

I'd demo an LG RZ-42PY10 too - black levels rival Panny, brightness rivals Pioneer - and I found it hard to spot any artefacts. I never thought I'd be saying it....completely different beast to that SD panel...downside of course is that it's an LG...

9. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just shows that each person is different and each view is subjective on that persons interpretation.
    Me, I found the Hitachi to be too "dynamic" in each mode that I looked at it in, with the whites more like blues than natural colour, in fact that was what put me off the Hitachi range.

To make a decision, you really need to test drive each model and not at a currys/comet with some DVDs that you like to watch for example