1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic or Pioneer in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by john_hk, Apr 25, 2005.

1. john_hk

john_hk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am new to the forum. This is my first post. I hope the regulars and newcomers can help :)

I am in Hong Kong and have been looking for a plasma for about 2 weeks now. I happen to come across your forum.

Originally I wanted to buy a Pioneer 435. They do not have digital tv here (and no plan for a while) so they only sell one Pioneer model with an analog tuner (but has pip) and comes with black swivel speakers, stand or wall mount.

But, reading the forums and the fact that digital will not be out here I looked for a panasonic panel. They have a viera here (th-42pe30) which includes stand or wall mount.

They also have pansonic commerical panels PWD6UY and PWD7UY. The dealer is throwing in an external analog tuner.

all have free fitting.

Now I would have got the PWD7UY, but, get this, if you factor in the prices it may change things:::::
    (coverted from Hong Kong dollars to pounds)
    panasonic PWD6UY = 1150 GBP
    panasonic PWD7UY = 1540 GBP
    panasonic th-42pe30 = 1825 GBP
    pioneer 435FDE eq = 1755 GBP

Looking at the prices I think either a 6UY or 435. 435 is very good value!!

Please help... Thanks :thumbsup:

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

It all depends upon your requirements and what you are willing to pay.

The PWD6UY is not fully hi-def compatible if you are thinking of connecting blue-ray or HD-DVD player in the not too distant future. It does not have a HDMI or DVI connector supporting HDCP. Although it will display a hi-def picture via component, the screen resolution is only 852x480 and the plasma would downscale the picture to match the resolution. You'd loose most of the resolution hi-def would offer on the 852x480 panel as 720p displays at 1280x720 and 1080i at 1980x1024.

The PWD7UY has HDMI but not sure if the HDMI socket is HDCP compliant. You would need to check. Again the resolution is 852x480.

The 435FDE has a resolution of 1024x768 and has HDMI which is HDCP compliant. I would personally go for Pioneer and pay the extra.

The Panasonic 42pe30 has no HDMI and has a resolution 852x480.

I would therefore consider the Panasonic PWD7 and check for HDCP compliance or the Pioneer 435FDE as they are more future proof and provide the better picture quality.

Audition before you buy. :D

3. reefer

reefer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm living in Hong kong and got pioneer over Panny and have no regret.
    Hong Kong does have a plan for HDTV within couple of years.