1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic or Pioneer Help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ghutt, Dec 6, 2004.

1. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I am just about to purchase a DVD recorder and need help on the decision. I have narrowed it down to:

1. Panasonic E85
    2. Pioneer 520H

I am so far swayed towards the Panny after reading most of the threads. However have noticed that it does not have firewire connection, which the pioneer seems to have. I really want it to record live music videos and movies from sky box, the panny seems to get good reviews on pic quality and sound.

I also want to be able to record onto a disc that can be viewd on a normal dvd player in another room. Can the e85 record onto such a disc that you could record onto again (overwrite)?

Which one would you go for? PLEASE HELP :)

Many Thanks

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    The only rewritable media the E85 can write to are RAM discs, so the other player in the other room would have to be compatible with them as well. It can also write to DVD-R but these are write once DVDs. As a matter of interest, what do you plan to use the firewire connection for ?

3. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply JohnG,

Yeah the firewire thing is maybe not such a big deal. I was just thinking that if I wanted to connect the CamCorder it would be handy, but I suppose I can use the PC for this. - Other than that I can't think of any other benfits the firewire support would provide, or am I missing something?

On the subject of the other dvd player supporting RAM discs, are there many that do support them?

What would you go for the Panny or the pioneer? :)

Thanks

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I've already got the E85 ;) But I would take you time to weigh up which would suit you the best. I ended up buying an E55 as well so that I had a compatible player in the other room. You can get a Panasonic S27 that will read the RAMs.

5. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JohnG,

It does seem that the e85 gets really good reviews.

Does the e85 allow JPEG playback of the holiday snaps?

The e85 has optical digital out. I have a phillips LX700 dvd surround system, it has a input at the back that says digital in. How do I know if this is optical digital in or coaxial digital in? Is there an easy way to tell by looking at it?

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Normally the optical digital is square whereas the coaxial is a round socket - if you look at somewhere like avland.com you can see the back views of amps and dvd players so you can get an idea what the connectors look like.
    I've not had the E85 very long so am not sure about the jpeg thing - do you mean jpegs on a CD or DVD ?

7. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either.

Also, does the e85 play multi-region dvd's?

Thanks again

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I got mine multi-region from Richer Sounds for about £395 I think.

9. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very few DVD players or computer DVD drives (even writers) can read the DVD-RAM disks used by Panasonic. The DVD-RW disks used by Pioneer are compatible with far more DVD players and computer drives. This is why I didn't buy the Panasonic.

Also, please consider the Pioneer DVR-420H. It is exactly the same as the DVR-520H except that it doesn't have firewire. I bought mine for just under 390 quid (inc delivery) multi-region from an on-line supplier in November. The Pioneer can display JPEGs from Photo CDs according to the manual.

10. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

This is a tough one???

so between the pioneer 420H and panasonic e85? does one have anything else over the other?

11. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent weeks comparing downloaded copies of the manuals for various HDD-DVD recorders. I concluded that the Pioneer's user interface gives you more control over the recording and copying processes than the Panasonic one.

Also, the Pioneer is very slim (only 6cm high including its feet).

But I think the incompatibility of DVD-RAM is the decisive factor against the Panasonic. That's my opinion. After all, if you have to buy a new DVD player and/or new computer DVD drive to play DVD-RAM disks then it effectively makes the Panasonic more expensive than it first appears.

12. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noted that both have optical digital out and my dvd sound system has coaxial digital in. I have seen some converters (optical to coaxial) would there be a loss in quality or would it be ok as both are digital?

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Pioneers display JPEGs. They adjust the picture dimensions regardless of pixel size, up to a maximum, keeping the aspect ratio so that it always fits the TV screen either vertically or horizontally.
    So portrait formats fill it vertically, landscapes fill it vertically until the A/R is are bigger than 16:9 (on a WS TV), e.g. 2.35:1, then the screen fills horizontally.

A word of warning, the JPEGs must be in Baseline format, not Progressive, which is mainly aimed at PC display. There is no difference in quality.

I test images if necessary on CD-RWs and they work OK on the 420.

14. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, I think I am going to order the Panasonic this afternoon.

15. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None at all.

16. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as you're happy that the DVD-RAM rewriteable DVD media Panasonic use are NOT readable on most computer DVD drives and domestic DVD players. The write-once DVD-R media Panasonic (and Pioneer) use are compatible: it's just the rewriteable DVD-RAM disks that are not. The Pioneer uses DVD-RW rather than DVD-RAM. The DVD-RW disks are not quite as widely compatible as DVD-R (i.e. older computer drives and DVD players won't read DVD-RW), but nothing like as incompatible as DVD-RAM (i.e. nearly all new computer drives and DVD players won't read DVD-RAM).

If that doesn't matter but you're still in doubt, download the manuals and have a look: see which user interface you prefer.

17. ghutt

ghutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you know where I could get the manual for the e85 from, I can't seem to find it?

Thanks again

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I've got the user manual in PDF format but can't remember where I got it from. If you would like me to email it to you send me a PM. The file is 2,875Kb in size though.

19. gpward

gpward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  20. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for putting up that link. I've asked Panasonic twice to put it on their UK/IRL site and they just ignore the request :mad: Thankfully now we have the information :thumbsup:

21. ProfZarkov

ProfZarkov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Been following various threads and am trying to find a decent recorder that will either control a Sky box (ie turn it on and tune it to the right channel) or allow the Sky box to control it. I'm looking at the Panasonic DMRE500 but alas it has not controls such as this (the US version does - it has the G-link IR zapper . .why don't we get these?) Does the Pioneer (any?) have any stb controls?

Cheers

Zarkov

22. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Pioneer DVR-530 has Guide+ which will control a Sky box. You use the Guide+ EPG to select the program to record and the machine will do the rest.

23. ProfZarkov

ProfZarkov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the speedy reply - I assume all modern pioneers have the G-link system - the 630 is top of my list now.

Cheers
    Zarkov

24. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 530 and 630 do but the 433 doesn't.

25. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wouln't go for the Pioneer 520h as its successor is the 530H and can be bought at Comet for £399 or much less online.
    Why go for the 'old' model?

26. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Reference DVD-RAM discs playing on PC dvd writers.

There is a posting on this forum (forget just who by) that ram discs will play on PC dvd-rom/writers providing they are set to "locked" on the disc management facility on the dvd recorder. Afterwards they can be unlocked again.

I haven't tried this as I don't usually play ram discs on the PC.