Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic or Pioneer 50ins

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by gandley, Oct 19, 2003.

1. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Hello forum friends

Having let the Pio 503 go its getting real tough to decide which 50ins plasma is going on my wall

I realy could do with some input from you as regards the Panny 50PW6 in comparison to the Pio 503 or 504HDE

As i live in somerset its real hard to demo a plasma most only stock the smaller screens so your input will be realy useful to me

Regards

2. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    seen the pioneer for first time yesterday loks very cool
    handy haveing the speakers underneath the screen wrong color though picture was good but to me not brill needed tweeking
    on hdmi it was better nice depth & colors one 504 was conected to a HD disk giveing very good detail etc
    over all the 504 looks good but as only digital conections were used i cannot say what bog standard tv looks like
    of all the plasmas at the show the pioneer looks the best
    carnt coment on the panasonic as liveing on a island i havent seen it either just the 42" which looked good
    P@T

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    A lot of people have mentioned the speakers not matching the screen.
    From what I understand though, it's simple spring clip connections on the rear of the screen so presumably you can use any speakers?
    I'm looking at a 50" Pio and possibly some decent (non Pio) speakers combination.

4. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    speakers match the width of the screen & are only availeble for wife's to use & are not to be used for serious home cinema.
    maybe a can of black gloss will work

5. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Gandley,

I think I gave you my comments on another thread about the new Pio. Since then I have also seen the Panny 6 and to my eyes the Pio definitely gets my strong vote. I saw the Pio with terrestrial and digital satellite receivers plus VCR and analog TV sources. The processing in the new multimedia box does do the trick offering significant improvement. For me, Panasonic has to "catch up" with Pioneer. A friend on mine has a Pio 503 MXE. I do not know how a 504MXE might look but the 504HDE looks definitely better than the current MXE.

.... on separate note I also pefered the speakers on the 433/503HDE than the new 434/504 BUT there will never be a hold up here!

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Thanks all,

Trying to get a demo of both 50ins pann6 and pioneer 504 and nobody has stock down here for both screens. DAMMIT

7. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any ideas where I can get a demo of these 2 screens in the London/Essex area. I'm having the same problem as you gandley and I've gotta decide soon so I can get the correct cables sunk in the wall before the plasterer's arrive.

will the pw6 be able to screen hi-def tv through the dvi if it ever comes out, even though its not a HD screen, as I really want it to be future proof?
    also is it true that you will be able to connect hdmi and component on the pionner input 3 and just simply switch between them on the osm. if not i'm shafted on the pio.

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I doubt whether there are any screens out right now.
    Earliest delivery is expected November.

The Pio is HDMI and component on AV3 (switchable via menu) but there are no HDMI cables available yet.
    Most dealers don't even know if they're supplied with the plasma or are an accesory.

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi whuuf,

Yes, the selection of component or HDMI on the new Pioneers is through an on-screen menu. As you say, the Panasonic PW6 is not an HD screen (although the PHD6 is), it would still be compatible with a HD signal but it would be down-scaled to the screen's native 480 line resolution. Hope this helps.

Steve

10. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costas, out of curiosity which flavour Panasonic are you comparing the 434HDE against, was it the TH-42PHD6 (High Definition) or TH-42PWD6 (Standard Definition) ??

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,077
    gandley and whuuf

UK dealers dont have stock of either screen at present - there are a few pre production Pioneer dem units doing the Exhibition circuit and Dealer Training rounds but no product has actually shipped as yet.

Best regards

Joe

PS If our plans come together on 1-2 Nov 03 we will have the PDP-504HDE and TH-50PHD6BX on show at the Scottish HiFi and Home Cinema Show (though not in the same room!).

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,077
    Brogan

As far as I can tell there is NOT an HDMI cable supplied with the DVD players or the Displays - Pioneer are looking at this; though their normal supplier is not on schedule to delver in November :(

Best regards

Joe

13. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Thanks Joe,

As long as they're available when the DVD players ship then there shouldn't be a problem although it would have been nice to get away without paying for another cable.
    And knowing this business it's going to be 3 figures...:(

14. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dutch,

so if I understand this correctly you will be able to play hd signals onto the pw6 through dvi only, but it will actually be sdtv because it will not have any more horizontal lines but images will appear to have improved vertical picture detail. Where-as the HD pio434 will be able to display more vertical and horizontal lines giving it a higher definition picture.

Joe,

any idea when the hdmi dvd players will be out and what prices we will be looking at?

15. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    The Pio 868 is HDMI and should be out mid to end of November.
    Prices vary from around £800 to £1000 depending on where you buy from.

16. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks brogan. I'm probably going to wait till after christmas before I get my dvd player, but if I do decide on the pio then the hdmi is must buy.

bearing in mind that would then be the hdmi slot taken up by the dvd player and the component by sky. what would be the best way of connecting my home pc up? would the best option be manually switching the hdmi dvd cable with a hdmi pc cable (if available I presume it would be dvi-hdmi via pc with sound going externally via a coxial cable). The only other option I guess is vga, but this wouldn't be compatible with hdtv if it came in via broadband though pc.

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Not sure about the Pio434 but the Pio504HDE has compoent, RGB and HDMI input on the rear of the media reciever and a dedicated PC input (audio and analog RGB) on the front (behind a flap).
    Here's a pic of the media reciever inputs.
    This is from the manual but is actually incorrect as there should also be an HDMI port on the rear (between Monitor Output and the fan).
    [​IMG]

18. wiped

wiped
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here in sweden the status on 434 is:
    Last week i got the info from the store where i've ordered mine that the screen are availalbe but the mediabox has not been delivered yet, this info was comings straight from Pioneer Sweden.

Edit:
    FYI the sales guy at this store has a very good contact with pioneer so i'm sure this info is correct.

the 50" is to be released in november.

19. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I also heard from a local dealer that the small delay with the media receiver is because they need to ensure that all boxes contain a 2-page addendum to the operating manual to cover the missing HDMI input. Apparently most of the manuals were printed (why?) before the HDMI standard official approval. I recall something similar had happened with the introduction of the DV-757Ai DVD player. Because the iLink was not fully committee approved there was a "card" inside the manual saying that iLink has not been enabled and you will need a software upgrade. Apparently, the factories shipped all units with iLink enabled and Pioneer apologised to few for the incorrect insertion of those cards....

20. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
  21. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    whuuf,

You would be able to view HD signals on the component input from say, a D-VHS player outputting a 1080i signal, or an Euro HD sat box in 1080i if they fit a component output, but I believe the Smart Imperator box will output via DVI. Yes, you would be wise to invest in a 768 line screen if you are interested in HD sources. ;)

Steve

22. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    one last question dutch :) will you be able to connect to the pw6 with a hdmi dvd player. Is it another case of waiting for a hdmi to dvi cable? I'm presuming they are different connecters.
    Now i'm going to price both sets up including all cables and convertors etc and see what the difference in price will be for me. My head says pio but i fear my wallets saying panny.

23. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
  24. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [size=1.5]As a previous MXE owner, I am also looking at the 04HDE and the PHD6 as my options. I think the choice will depend on what you will be using the panel with. Personally, I think that the Panasonic PHD6 may be better suited to my requirments, if anyone is interested the reasons for this are :-

- All of my sources will be undergoing processing prior to reachning the panel. Digital Terrestrial TV via Lumagen and DVD via HTPC, hence are not dependant on panels internal processing.
    - DVI input (HDCP compliant) will work with a HTPC. This (as far as I am aware) has not been proven with the HDMI input on the 04HDE, in fact I have heard that it was tried recently and did not work.
    - More flexibility/modularity, in that I can add additional DVI-HDCP/component blades should I wish.
    - According to specifications, using DVI input on the Panasonic increases gradiation to in excess if 3000 (compares to 1024 shades on Pioneer), my DVD playback will be via DVI from a HTPC.
    - I have been told that flicker is not an issue with Panasonic HD units (both 42" & 50"). This is because they use dual (twin?) Scan technology, not single scan technology as is used on the SD units. Dual scan technology was used on the previous generation 3 & 4 Panasonic SD and HD panels and as far as I am aware did not suffer flicker issues.
    - Better blacks
    - Screen saver options (which I would like TBH)

On the negatives however, the panel brightness is stated as 400cd/m2 for the 50", I need to see how this will effect me. In theory it shouldnt as my viewing is in low ambient lighting. Also need to investigate the reported issues with the DVI board that are effecting SD panel owners to see if it will effect the HD panels.

All of the above are theoretical/on paper spec type arguments. The proof as they say, is in the pudding, I will know more when I view the 434HDE and the 42PHD6 on Tuesday morning. Hopefully Ill be able to view the TH-50PHD6, as this at the minute is my favoured option.[/size]

25. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    TBAR

After tuesday please post your findings.

Id be real interested in what you have to say as i plan using the denon a11 when its released via its dvi hdcp output
    (will this work with pio?) but can not make up my mind if the pany 50ins or 504 will be the one.

So your comparison will be of great benefit to me.

Thanks

26. kaspj

kaspj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tbrar,

I would be interested to hear your opinion of the 42PHD6 and the 434HDE after you've had a chance to compare PQ. Please let us know.

Thanks

JP:)

27. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ill defintaly post what I think. What I may try to do is take along my Lumagen Vision to hook up to both.

One thing that I didnt mention is that the HD Panasonics (42" & 50") have cooling fans as far as I am aware, this could present an issue. Hopefully demo will be in a quiet enough enviorment for me to tell, however Ill take along my SPL meter to get an actual reading of noise generated by panels in operation.

Gandley, your A11's DVI-HDCP output should work with the 04HDE's HDMI input (with correct cable). I have heard though that Denon will initially ship the A11 without the DVI-HDCP output turned on ???

28. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hey Tony... Welcome to the 14" CRT club, hope you are more decisive about your new panel than me (I canceled my 504HDE order)... really looking forward to your impressions of both screens, but I bet you end up waiting for the 04 MXE..!

29. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon, No Ill definatley buy something soon (within the next week or so) - cant be doing with the 'N.E.I' 14" CRT !!. TBH though I am not sure what it will be yet. If you dont mind me asking, why did you cancel the 504HDE ?

30. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    For me, when spending so much money I have to be 100% convinced, and the lack of flexibility on AV3 combined with the fixed connectivity (no cards) has put me off... I'm now waiting patiently for the spec on the 50" 04 MXE... Where are you going to demo the panels IYDMMA..?

PS 14" CRT with 5.1 is actually quite funny..! For about five minutes..!