Panasonic or Philips ???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by General Panic, Apr 3, 2003.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi guys
    In the market for a first DVD Recorder and a bit confused by reading all the threads in the forum.
    I've got my choice down to Panasonic 30 or 50EBS or the Philips 880 or 890. Cost is important too , while i would ideally like the Panasonic DMR-HS2EBS that's beyond my budget.
    My main use will be archiving old VHS collection and general recording of Sky. One important factor will be my ability to share my recodred discs r or rw with my 2 brothers in the flat who have their own DVD players/X-box/PS2.
    Do any owners have any advice on which format might be best suited to my requiremnets .

:smashin:

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You won't be able to share the ram disks of the panny, but its r disks are the most compatible imho. The xbox loves them. In fact all xbox "backups" are supplied on dvd-r because they are by far the cheapest and most compatible.

The panny is streets ahead, in functionality, reliablitity and performance.

No one can call me biased anymore as I sold mine last week! to buy an hs2 I might add, not because I was not happy with it.

Buy the panny, you won't be disapointed. Does everything I ever wanted a dvd recorder to do and more.

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the quick reply. One thing i forgot to mention was Multi-region discs of which i own a fair few R1's. Am i right in thinking there is no handset hack for the Panny but there is for the Philips? I know i can prob get the Panny Modded but not to keen to go down that road.
    Cheers

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, but the philips won't play rce. If you buy the machine multiregion it will have a warrenty.

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ahhh i didn't know about the RCE bit. Mmmmmm. I will admit i'd set my mind on the Panny till i read the +rw will not run on my bro's player and as i have Sky and he don't i do a lot of film recording for him as a watch and scrub procedure. I suppose i could keep the VCR for that purpose but cableing and what not then becomes a pain.
    Is the reason you recommend the Panny over the Philips just personel or is the quality that much less?
    Cheers

6. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I must admit to never having seen the philips in action. I personally choose the panny because it was multiregion (including rce) and far more reliable than the philips (going by all the complaints I have heard about philips dvdr reliability)-cheaper media and better compayibility of r disks (I wasn't to bothered about rw disks for my purposes). But as for quality of recording, apart from the advantage of pannys fr mode, they are about the same I believe. Dvd-ram disks let you use the machine as a harddisk recorder, like a tivo, which is a nice feature.

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the stuff you are recording you want to keep definitely go for the Panny

-R only work out at around the 50p per disc mark and they can hold upto 6hrs

You will not be able to record over what you have put onto -R so for day to day recording you would have to use -RAM which as Ferris stated you will not be able to watch on other machines

But before you even consider the Phillips check to see whether the other machines can play +RW. My Tosh 210 doesn't play +RW

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers Bobbles i'll look into that. :smashin:

9. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    General Panic

have a look at hivizone.com in hong kong they sell a phillips 890 that has progressive scan as well. They are reliable company too. I just bought the q50 and it does play rce disks.

evans

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I want to thank all for your replies but in the course of this searching for the perfect Recorder i have been convinced to hold off , save more dosh and go for the HS2 later in the year.
    Thanks again specially to Ferris57 for your advice.

Panic

11. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The hs2 won't be available much longer as a new model is coming out with a larged hard drive later on in the year and I believe the only HS2 left are those in stock. Having said that I have seen prices down to £699 talked about for multiregion ones, and even less for region 2 only.
    Why wait, buy on credit card, take out another one which gives you zero interest for 8 months on balance transfers(Morgan Stanley for example), transfer the cost to that and you have the use of the machine for the period while you are saving! And the new model will undoutably be back at over £800 or so.

12. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No probs Gp ;)

Another option would be to buy the hs2 off ebay or somewhere similar once the hs3 has been released. There is sure to be a flood of hs2's going cheap when all the owners decide they want the hs3!

13. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I was thinking of buying the E50 and sk+ works out cheaper than a HS2.Any comments?

14. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sky+ and HS2 work very well together!!!!!!!! You can never have too much storage.

I would say E50 and Sky+ is a very good bet.

15. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Is it possible to edit out adverts from a DVD-R disk on the E-50 after recording but before finalising, or is this only possible by pressing pause during the recording?

Thanks,

Desk

16. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No, and if you go down the sky+ route you are still stuck with them. Go for the hs2 and you can remove all the extraneous material, and save £120 a year. You have to remember the extra subscription as over a hopefully 5 year life, you would have incurred an extra £600 for the sky+ solution.

THe only way to remove the ads is to record to dvd-ram, edit the program and then play it back through a compatible machine and record to a -r. If you own the hs2 you can do this internally.