Panasonic or LG OLED ?

All done ! Got it confirmed from Martin Dawes on the 5yr warranty, went back to Richer Sounds and, after providing the evidence, they agreed to match their price. 6yr warranty as well ! Result. Paid for the delivery, should be here Tuesday which gives me a chance to get it set up before going back to work ! Thanks for your advice !

Do you have a copy of the confirmation by any chance please ?

Do you have a copy of the confirmation by any chance please ?
Not sure what you mean ? A copy of the order ? I'm not that keen to post my personal details on here but if there's some way of messaging you I don't mind, as long as it doesn't go on ? If its to use to buy your own from Richer Sounds, I'd just contact the Company you've seen the price and get confirmation of the price and warranty period in writing (then screen shot it) then contact RS and email them the details. I can confirm it worked for me ! 👍

Not sure what you mean ? A copy of the order ? I'm not that keen to post my personal details on here but if there's some way of messaging you I don't mind, as long as it doesn't go on ? If its to use to buy your own from Richer Sounds, I'd just contact the Company you've seen the price and get confirmation of the price and warranty period in writing (then screen shot it) then contact RS and email them the details. I can confirm it worked for me ! 👍

Meant as in the confirmation of the warranty from Martin Dawes that you issued to Richer Sounds to get the price match.
As you say, no personal details should ever be disclosed.

Meant as in the confirmation of the warranty from Martin Dawes that you issued to Richer Sounds to get the price match.
As you say, no personal details should ever be disclosed.
I just grabbed a screenshot of the conversation I had with them. It had all the detail as to what I was looking for and their confirmation. No probs

All done ! Got it confirmed from Martin Dawes on the 5yr warranty, went back to Richer Sounds and, after providing the evidence, they agreed to match their price. 6yr warranty as well ! Result. Paid for the delivery, should be here Tuesday which gives me a chance to get it set up before going back to work ! Thanks for your advice !

That’s interesting as I ordered it via RS this morning and they wouldn’t price match due to the warranty, but they did reduce it to £1099. I shall see if I can get Martin Dawes to confirm the 5 years.

Also, just as an FYI, I was told Tuesday for Next Day delivery and paid for it but I have since received delivery notice that it will be Wednesday. Not a big deal but worth noting.

Thanks for that, I suspect if Martin Dawes hadn't confirmed the 5yrs in writing, they wouldn't have price matched. (I note they do have a retrospective claw back option on RS website which might be useful if MD do confirm 5yrs warranty for you) I was hoping for Tuesday delivery myself but haven't hear anything just yet. If it's Wednesday that's ok. Thanks and good luck

I just tried the above and RS won’t price match because on MD it’s showing as I need to pre order

I just tried the above and RS won’t price match because on MD it’s showing as I need to pre order
They are not going to price match against something that is not in stock.

I think the MD price has gone back up to £1100. I guess just got to keep your eyes peeled for the offers as they come on. The Panasonic is great so far, really impressed.

I think the MD price has gone back up to £1100. I guess just got to keep your eyes peeled for the offers as they come on. The Panasonic is great so far, really impressed.
Hi how is the Panny 980bz with football? Any blur or judder?

Hi how is the Panny 980bz with football? Any blur or judder?
Blur is a by-product of LCD technology and doesn't exist on OLED.
Judder is when the frame rate of content doesn't match up with the panel hz of the TV, this never happens in sport. What you may mean is stutter?

There's two known issues I can think of, either of which probably won't bother you (they don't bother most people). The first is OLED stutter in general. Because the TVs are sample and hold displays and have no motion blur, the transition from one frame to another isn't as smooth, so there's more 'stutter'. This can be alleviated by using motion interpolation on the TV. Generally its not a problem for sport as it tends to be broadcast at a higher frame rate.

The latter problem is probably even less noticeable and is specific to Panasonic motion processing, they miss a frame here and there which can cause a little stutter, again most people don't notice it.

If you are buying a TV on motion merit alone, consider an OLED from Sony or Philips instead of Panasonic, as they are a little better in this respect.

Blur is a by-product of LCD technology and doesn't exist on OLED.
Judder is when the frame rate of content doesn't match up with the panel hz of the TV, this never happens in sport. What you may mean is stutter?

There's two known issues I can think of, either of which probably won't bother you (they don't bother most people). The first is OLED stutter in general. Because the TVs are sample and hold displays and have no motion blur, the transition from one frame to another isn't as smooth, so there's more 'stutter'. This can be alleviated by using motion interpolation on the TV. Generally its not a problem for sport as it tends to be broadcast at a higher frame rate.

The latter problem is probably even less noticeable and is specific to Panasonic motion processing, they miss a frame here and there which can cause a little stutter, again most people don't notice it.

If you are buying a TV on motion merit alone, consider an OLED from Sony or Philips instead of Panasonic, as they are a little better in this respect.
Thanks for your reply. I’ve got a Q80T but the shudder/stutter is uncomfortable.

My dilemma is Panny 980b and it’s full HDR support vs Sony A8H and lack of HDR10+ from prime.

nit picking. Difference is £200 for 55inch.

basically Netflix and Football need to look the best. I don’t game at all so the 120hz thing isn’t a thing for me.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve got a Q80T but the shudder/stutter is uncomfortable.

My dilemma is Panny 980b and it’s full HDR support vs Sony A8H and lack of HDR10+ from prime.

nit picking. Difference is £200 for 55inch.

basically Netflix and Football need to look the best. I don’t game at all so the 120hz thing isn’t a thing for me.

If motion is an issue for you, then consider the HZ1000 which has effective BFI as an option.

If its specifically stutter that you are unhappy with, then perhaps OLED isn't for you. OLED TVs have more stutter, as they have less motion blur.

However what you probably notice is just that you don't personally get along with Samsung's motion processing, it may even be linked to what you use connected to the TV, rather than the TV itself.

I'd consider a move to the Sony XH9505 LCD TV instead, and if you want to go OLED, go for a Philips or Sony one. You may be okay with the Panasonic, but its more of a risk if you know you're already sensitive to motion issues. Another good point above, the HZ1000 does have a stronger backlight drive, so you can use stronger motion settings on it.

If its specifically stutter that you are unhappy with, then perhaps OLED isn't for you. OLED TVs have more stutter, as they have less motion blur.

However what you probably notice is just that you don't personally get along with Samsung's motion processing, it may even be linked to what you use connected to the TV, rather than the TV itself.

I'd consider a move to the Sony XH9505 LCD TV instead, and if you want to go OLED, go for a Philips or Sony one. You may be okay with the Panasonic, but its more of a risk if you know you're already sensitive to motion issues. Another good point above, the HZ1000 does have a stronger backlight drive, so you can use stronger motion settings on it.
Mmh I have a Panasonic HX800B and that plays football lovely for me, the very vaguest of stutter of time if I look for it but not intrusive like the Samsung which is just in your face obvious even with every motion thing off, so I can only presume that the A8 would be better.

I started off with a budget of 700-800 and I’m already at £1100!

Mmh I have a Panasonic HX800B and that plays football lovely for me, the very vaguest of stutter of time if I look for it but not intrusive like the Samsung which is just in your face obvious even with every motion thing off, so I can only presume that the A8 would be better.

I started off with a budget of 700-800 and I’m already at £1100!
Yup, if you're happy with the HX800 you'll be happy with anything. Not bashing the TV, but its motion specs are very basic with a 60hz panel.

Probably you just don't get along with Samsung's motion processing, or some combination of your source device(s) don't go well with it.

Yup, if you're happy with the HX800 you'll be happy with anything. Not bashing the TV, but its motion specs are very basic with a 60hz panel.

Probably you just don't get along with Samsung's motion processing, or some combination of your source device(s) don't go well with it.
Your right, I just didn’t get on with the Samsung. There’s lots of issue documented so not sure it’s just me. I’m giving it another go today with the footy and if it messes up then it will be going back.

I managed to improve it slightly with game mode but it’s definitely a TV processing error as it’s like having frames dropped on YouTube through Chrome.

The HX is just fluid with what I need it to do. Obviously picture quality etc isn’t great at all but for a small snug room it’s the best I can justify putting in there.

I’m still labouring over Sony A8 vs Panasonic HZ980B vs Sony H9505 and even the Samsung Q90T has come down in price but I’m worried about the motion issues being on there too.

I’ve got nothing else to do to entertain me during lockdown so TV deliberation is a welcome distraction.

The motion on the Q90T won't be any different, they use exactly the same processing.

I'd go for the Sony A8 to up the chances of you not finding problems with motion, Panasonic's do have a know 50hz stutter, which is the same frame rate most sport content is broadcast at. Whether you'll notice it however is a different matter, its usually not something people notice.

Here's a bit on LCDs and OLEDs to help you decide, you can't really compare chalk to cheese so its really a decision you should narrow down first before thinking about different models:

For example, if the reason you bought the Q80T was becuase you need the TV to cope with brighter conditions well, then you may find an OLED isn't suited to you and the Sony XH9505 would be a better alternative. Likewise if you found too much motion blur or that you wanted better viewing angles than the Q80T then an OLED would be very good for you.

The motion on the Q90T won't be any different, they use exactly the same processing.

I'd go for the Sony A8 to up the chances of you not finding problems with motion, Panasonic's do have a know 50hz stutter, which is the same frame rate most sport content is broadcast at. Whether you'll notice it however is a different matter, its usually not something people notice.

Here's a bit on LCDs and OLEDs to help you decide, you can't really compare chalk to cheese so its really a decision you should narrow down first before thinking about different models:

For example, if the reason you bought the Q80T was becuase you need the TV to cope with brighter conditions well, then you may find an OLED isn't suited to you and the Sony XH9505 would be a better alternative. Likewise if you found too much motion blur or that you wanted better viewing angles than the Q80T then an OLED would be very good for you.
So I actually bought both (Sony A8 v Panasonic 980B) as part of no quibble returns.

To my eyes the PQ on the Panasonic is better. I think my wife who loves the Sony will agree. Motion on the small amount of footballs seen was similar albeit the PQ helped Football look better on the Panasonic.

Netflix Sony’s Dolby bright had better tones but the Clarity on Panasonic Dolby vivid was much better but colours were over saturated in many scenes. Dolby IQ was just too dark.

The Android interface is much better than Panasonic although there are too many ads on the Android TV and YT Apps.

For me Panasonic wins but for my wife Sony. Still few more days before decision made.

Motion on the small amount of footballs seen was similar albeit the PQ helped Football look better on the Panasonic.
Interesting that you say this, because on of the biggest complaints with motion on Panasonic TVs now and past is with 50hz interlaced content. How are you testing football?

Interesting that you say this, because on of the biggest complaints with motion on Panasonic TVs now and past is with 50hz interlaced content. How are you testing football?
My baseline is via BBC 1 HD. On the Q80T is was unwatchable. On these TV no issue. But the scaling produces a nice football pitch on the Panasonic vs Sony. Motion appears to be on par but I will watch again via Amazon Prime via native apps this weekend with the live games and feedback.

I’ve got a fire stick and will compare with that. With this...

Just to feedback on here regarding the footy. So once I had amended the setting on the Sony it was clear it was the better TV. Motion is much smoother and more customisable on the Sony. PQ is out of the box better on the Panasonic.

I can confirm Sony was better, only just. If I didn’t have a Panasonic in the other room we would have kept it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom