1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic or JVC ??

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by JohnMac, Jan 30, 2002.

1. JohnMac

JohnMac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a budget of approx. £500 for a camcorder.The models that look the best value are the Panasonic NV-DS 27B/28B or the JVC GR-DVL 257/355.What are the pros and cons of DV-IN?. I am not sure how useful this would be as I intend using it for filming my newborn once he/she comes along and probably over the course of his/her first few years. Is it cheaper to buy a camcorder with this function or buy a widget to convert?
    I am new to this game, so any help/advice would be appreciated. Also, can I get software, if I buy a DV-in camcorder, bearing in mind my PC is a Pentium 11, 350MHZ?

2. johnnyzee

johnnyzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well mate I have panasonic 27b camcorder its a bril camcorder except for its a little bit bulky and it hasnt DV-in(its amust if u want to edit ure footage and transfer back to your mini DV tape) it also hasnt analogue In which i could have done with...anyway u dont need to buya widget to DV in enable it (i went and bought one) but have realised all u need is a ure serial cable (supplied with ure cam) and a freeware program called Panatest 2, all u do then is run the prog select the right com port and change one key in the registry (cant remember at mo...but if u need it email me at cuethebest@yahoo.co.uk) and ill run u through it....

bottom line is its a wicked cam for beginners and intermediates i soppoze it has a nice display and manual feature whitebalance fps etc,but now that i know alot more about cams id put the extra 2 hundred quid or so and buy one that does everything(i think th esonys are quite hot for some reason) ps ive had my cam for about 2 months now and am looking to get the smallest dv camcorder the JVC dvp3,thats means il have a spare camcorder wont i(boxed with external divet)....if ure gonna buy this model i will sell it to you much cheaper than the shop and its almost brand new!!! email me let me know ....im not trying to sell u anyfin but im here if u need any advice anyway...sorry to ramble on and sorry for the rush typing...see ya

ps the software isnt a prob....u do realise u need a firewire card in addition to the cam as well....the firewaire card will come with the software...any probs u can get the software off the net...theres loads of sites

3. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    hello

have you bought your new jvc cam yet?

cheers

neil

4. u768211

u768211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they aren't making the 27 or 28 any more. Its now the 29 and 30, basically the same, bit smaller. See "panasonic digi camcorder" thread for some info