1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic on the ceiling?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wolfe, Feb 13, 2002.

1. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so the wife gives the go-ahead to get a Panny PTAE100. Then the reality hits!
    I want to mount it on the ceiling... I can cope with the cabling and physically securing the projector but...... my room ceiling is like this..

--------- --------------------------------------
    |__|

There is a beam approx 40cm deep 90 cm from the wall I intend to use for the screen.

I can get the projector anywhere between 10 and 13 feet from the wall.

The question is... how can I get the projector image to look at its best with the beam in the way....how good is the keystone correction?
    In an ideal world I'd drop the centreline of the lens so that I could project straight onto the wall. However that puts the bottom of the projector unacceptably low:( I need some ideas here guys...I cant afford to make a mess of the install since the WAF is dependent on it being neat and unobtrusive. I cant think of a better bunch to ask though:)

2. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that bit of line art failed miserably...try to imagine the 40cm deep beam 90 cm from the wall....the beam is about 10 cm wide...

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    are you saying the beam drops 40cm vertically down from the ceiling? Thats very deep. You'll need to use keystone correction, can't be helped.

Can someone check the manual to see whether it has optical and digital correction? If you can get away with only using the optical portion it shouldn't affect the image too much. You may want to mask off the image around the screen as you'll get 'overspill' where the real image is being shone.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Wolfe

How about mounting the screen from the beam.

If you mounted it in on the 'rear' side of the beam between it and the 'front'' wall (in the 90 cm gap) you would make a nice job of concealing the screen and the line of the screen would be roughly in line with where a conventional telly would be.

You would still get a 'big' image with your indicated throw distance and minimise the need to use the Digital Keystone correction.

Regards

Joe

joe@tmfsolutions.co.uk
    www.tmfsolutions.co.uk

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How tall is your ceiling and what is the size and shape of your screen?
    I havent looked at the throw of the projector but it will affect the screen width and height. If you put the image too high it could distroy the viewing experience anyway.

The bare minimum the projector lens needs to level with the top of the screen assuming it projects 100% off axis (top or bottom of screen)

Don't try use digital keystone correction there is not a digital projector in the world that can do it properly. If it has optical offset then watch the corners for light drop off.

6. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was reckoning on getting the 8x4 mdf/icestorm screen solution and fixing it to the wall.
    Do I need to get the centreline of the screen at eye level?
    If that is the case then since the projector lens appears to only want to be 10cm below the top of the screen I can only think that putting it on a tripod behind the seating position would be the answer.

What sort of offset angle can I expect the projector to cope with before it shows?

If neccessary I can post a pic of the room for your information.

Thanks guys...appreciate the help:)

7. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ceiling is 235cm high....