Panasonic OLED - TX-55EZ952B

rooster_nch

Standard Member
Reaction score
I purchased my OLED TV on 31st March 2018, it still has 3 years warranty on it. Noticed whilst watching a program with yellow scenerey that there was a distincy green blur dead centre of the screen. Ran a YouTube Yellow screen test and confirmed that there was a big green blur exactly central in the screen.

TV is not over used, no static images on there, screen saver is enabled so is the pixel orbiter function. I have contacted Panasonic and they simplydo not want to know.

They insist its screen burn caused by me watching a static image. Ive tried again and again and even posted them links to the AV Forum where other people have also had the same problem with LG OLED panels thats been caused not by screen burn but by overheating panel chips in exactly the same location as my screens green blur.

Panasonic though are resolute that its my fault, a flagship TV purchased 2 years ago and now with a green blob central on the screen. Its had normal daily use, no extended periods of gaming or just being left on, if it were then the screensaver would have kicked in anyway.

The TV is not fit for purpose, theres no way a TV that cost £1300 new should have problems like that in 2 years.

screen.jpg

Not sure what to do now, I'm not paying out for a new TV and Panasonics attitude and warranty are worthless. Seems a complete fob off by Panasonic to say that a know problem is down to the user just to get out of a warranty repair or replacement.

Even had the Panasonic MD's Correspondant contact me to say their decision is final, its screen burn caused by me and nothing at all to do with them and theres nothing they can or are prepared to do to rectify the situation.

That,s not burn in , Panasonic know it , they are just using the term to get out of looking after you . What does a red or magenta screen look like ?

Interesting quote from LG: "LG has previously said its OLED TVs can last 30,000 hours, or around 10 years with an average daily viewing of eight hours, without burn-ins. "

LG OLED BURN IN..

Panasonic are trying to take you for a ride there. Absolutely not screen burn and you are completely covered by the warranty under them. I would call back, demand to speak to a manager and otherwise threaten small claims court which they would have to back down to.

I've been speaking with the MD's correspondent - she told me that Panasonic consider this to be Screen Burn - end of story and are issuing me with a deadlock letter as a final statement that they are not going to pursue this matter any further.

She said the technical guys say I've had the TV on for over 8000 hours ( thats almost a year constantly) and thats caused the problem. I've asked for proof of this which they say they are unable to release to me.

So they can make accusations with no proof? Remarkable.. What poor customer service very sorry to hear that. I haven't got a modern set yet so can't advise, just giving my POV as a consumer and what I understand consumer rights to be. May be a small claims court process which is so unnecesary especially at this time, but you can't have them fob you off when you are entitled completely. Hopefully someone may see this thread who has had a similar story but with a better luck ending. Best of luck.

Thing is it does say in their printed material that screen burn is not covered by warranty. Just that you wouldnt expect a flagship TV (at the time of purchase in 2018) to go belly up screen wise after 2 years of normal use.

Your argument should be it isn't screen burn, but banding or similar . Banding etc should be covered. As others have said above, that isn't screen burn and would be near impossible to watch something that would create screen burn in that way? Especially when it's widely reported as an issue... They are claiming you all watched that one same thing for hours and hours on end? Like to hear their suggestion of what it was for only those of you using thag set to get it and no other TVs suffering?

Have you tried contacting support? It's weird that Panasonic offers products like this.

I've been speaking with the MD's correspondent - she told me that Panasonic consider this to be Screen Burn - end of story and are issuing me with a deadlock letter as a final statement that they are not going to pursue this matter any further.

She said the technical guys say I've had the TV on for over 8000 hours ( thats almost a year constantly) and thats caused the problem. I've asked for proof of this which they say they are unable to release to me.
8000 hours over 2 years is what a lot of users would do , I cant see that they have a leg to stand on .

OK, so the situation was Panasonic asked for a status screen which I sent right at the beginning. They then told me that the TV had been on for over 8000 hours and id been offered 200 panel maintenance checks that I had declined. I can honestly say I've never had one single request but I have run them myself.

8000 hours is roughly 330 days, so Panasonic reckon I have been watching the TV for around 12 hours a day solid with no break, every single day for 2 years.

The 200 panel requests means I must have been offered a Panel Test every 3 days, of which I have not.
Their figures just do not add up at all.

They also say that this is "Image Retention" - LG has said its OLED TVs can last 30,000 hours, or around 10 years with an average daily viewing of eight hours, without burn-ins. The source is here via ZDNET

As it was my TV and my data on there I asked if Panasonic would send me a breakdown line by line of the status screen so I could see the evidence for myself.

Panasonic denied me saying, "The customer escalations team received confirmation that the instructions for decoding the System Information menu are not for public consumption, as that menu screen is designed for use by service engineers, and has the potential to include proprietary information. We therefore, regrettably, cannot share this information with you, and are also unable to provide you with a breakdown of what the codes mean, for the same reasons."

I dont want instructions to do it, I just want to know what the code says.. translation for my own proof that what Panasonic are claiming is correct. I have no defence as I cannot read the info on the status screen.

So, my final recourse is to now lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman to take the matter up.

I will NEVER buy Panasonic ever again...

I bought a GZ950 a couple of months ago from richer souns with a 6 year warranty, the 1st 5 covered by Panasonic, I posted this from the t&c they sent me, about a get out if I got burn in on the oled as it refers to Plasma, is your warranty the same, or I could send you the pdf
Screenshot_20200424_174613.jpg

Goto settings, help, system information, status 4 is the hours used, what does that say?

Ive done a factory reset on the TV, green splodge is still there.

One thing I did notice is that the power LED in standby is now RED whereas all the time before in Standby it was Orange.

I know I did have DNLA Server set, would that account for the TV still registering as being "ON" and clocking up those 8000 hours of use when in fact the screen was actually off and not in use. just that the TV thought that itself was "on" due to the DNLA Server being enabled? Kinds registering a false positive???

I cant see why 8000 hours over 2 years is an issue , do Panasonic state anywhere that there is a limit to how many hours you are allowed to watch your TV ? In my household someone is home all day and sons game till late at night , I easily clock up those numbers . They are just trying to get out of their obligations . I,m sure I have heard others stating they have not been prompted for panel refreshes . How did you get the status screen for Panasonic initially ?

I think Panasonic were tryng to say it was "intensive" use over 2 years that caused the "image retention", but Ive not physically had the screen on for over 8000 hours, no way. Thats why I was wondering if the DNLA Server being set caused the TV to register being "awake" but the screen being off

Can you see those on / off numbers in the SYSTEM INFORMATION screen ?

I have not got a Panasonic but I think there should be other lines that show off/on times and standby times . I think this is how they calculate the usage .

but Panasonic wont translate the status display for me so I cant see that information.

Not sure why Panasonic are being so secretive when the System Information is easily accessed from the Menu.

Below are the figures from my TV which has been used for an average of 6.5 hours per day since I purchased it in July 2018.

Status 4:
C04351-0000842-00000
So a total of 4351 hours and 842 power on cycles. Average is approximately 5 hours per power up.

Status 8:
Number of shorter automatic panel compensation/maintenance runs started and completed and the longer automatic/manually activated runs started and completed. These are in Hexadecimal Format.

002a6-002a5-00005-00005

The above would be 678 shorter runs started and 677 completed. 5 longer runs started and 5 completed.

The only other Status that has changed on my TV is Status 2 (but only the first three sets of figures). I'm not sure what this actually represents though. All the other Statuses are exactly the same as they were when I first bought it.

Here's a link to a Hexadecimal Converter so you can work yours out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom