Bargain Panasonic Oled GZ950 Price

GMAN40

Just been to Costco and seen GZ950 for £1,379.98. RS has the same tv at £1,599.

Attachments

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Superb price indeed...could not believe it is including VAT. That’s a stellar price which last year TVs didn’t reach at all by August...impressive...we are getting very close to the £1k oled 55 (good oled :)
@Aryn86 @JSM15

damnfinecoffee

Thanks for posting this, we don't have a Costco near us (I think the nearest one is a few hours away) are they likely to have this at each warehouse or does it vary? Also am I right in thinking you need a membership?
Thanks

leedspokerguru

Are Costco not stocking the 65" nation wide or is it store by store basis?

Cheapest price I've seen so far £2200

| Hifonix

tickedon

Whats the main difference between the GZ950 and the cheaper FZ802
'G' models are 2019, 'F' are 2018. The key difference is the 2019 OLED's from Panasonic have HDMI 2.1 vs HDMI 2.0 ports, a better image processor (HCX Pro), Dolby Vision support (previous year OLED's from them didn't) along with Dolby Atmos. Speakers are apparently also slightly more powerful on the GZ950, and as usual for nearly all manufacturers, come with an updated smart OS vs the previous year's models.

It's worth paying the extra for this year's Panasonic models in my opinion - all good upgrades.

sagaris99

'G' models are 2019, 'F' are 2018. The key difference is the 2019 OLED's from Panasonic have HDMI 2.1 vs HDMI 2.0 ports, a better image processor (HCX Pro), Dolby Vision support (previous year OLED's from them didn't) along with Dolby Atmos. Speakers are apparently also slightly more powerful on the GZ950, and as usual for nearly all manufacturers, come with an updated smart OS vs the previous year's models.

It's worth paying the extra for this year's Panasonic models in my opinion - all good upgrades.
Uhhhh, no, the 2019 Panasonic’s don’t have HDMI 2.1. They have a feature from 2.1, which is ALLM. No eArc, No VRR, max 4k will be 60Hz.

eruptron

Standard Member
pana.jpg

The motion blur on this set is terrible unless we have a faulty set. If you watch a lot sport like i do go look at it in the flesh first. , The wifi unit has also failed on mine so I'm not sure if the whole set has issues or this is just how it is. So I don't know where to go with replacing it. Another one of these or something else. I've also been put off another Pana as the after care as a long term Panasonic fanboy appears to have deminished considerably.

j82k

View attachment 1192802
The motion blur on this set is terrible unless we have a faulty set. If you watch a lot sport like i do go look at it in the flesh first.
Fast camera pans usually show motion blur, it's something that cameras do. So not sure what you're trying to prove here. What you should do is pause the picture during such a fast camera pan, this will tell you if the blur is in the source or caused by the TV. Also I would recommend to disable all motion interpolation settings.

eruptron

Standard Member
Fast camera pans usually show motion blur, it's something that cameras do. So not sure what you're trying to prove here. What you should do is pause the picture during such a fast camera pan, this will tell you if the blur is in the source or caused by the TV. Also I would recommend to disable all motion interpolation settings.
Not trying to prove anything. All motion things are switched off. I've attached a picture. It's paused for you. I'm just sharing my experience with a 1600 quid telly that imo isn't as good as my 550 quid 10 year old plasma on the same source. Shame my plasma switches it's self off :-( I'd have saved a few bob. Next you'll probably tell me that the picture doesn't show at least 2 or 3 images of the people in the crowd. The picture if taken while in UHD in normal mode which the retailer recommended with motion controls switched off and watching it is hard work. It maybe the source but I've had a new sky Q box and receiver fitted. I've gone from BT to Sky broadband and the wifi still doesn't work. So not trying to prove anything. The set will be replaced due to the wifi fault and I still worry the modern 1600 quid tv that might replace this one is no better than one much cheaper. Can you tell if the fault is with the source or the TV? The picture is larger 2 posts above

Attachments

j82k

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

If you record or photograph a moving picture, that picture will show the motion blur that is in the source + the motion blur from the TV + some frame blending if your recording/photo isn't in perfect sync with the displays refresh rate. In other words it's impossible to judge motion based on that.

If you photograph a paused picture it will at least tell us how much motion blur there is in the source, which would be useful information as opposed to what you did.

eruptron

Standard Member
You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

If you record or photograph a moving picture, that picture will show the motion blur that is in the source + the motion blur from the TV + some frame blending if your recording/photo isn't in perfect sync with the displays refresh rate. In other words it's impossible to judge motion based on that.

If you photograph a paused picture it will at least tell us how much motion blur there is in the source, which would be useful information as opposed to what you did.
Fair enough but that is a really good example of what it looks like in real life. I'll try a pause something later and take a picture. When I've tried to take other videos the phone has added more colours and smoothed things out so it's been difficult to say look that's what it's doing.
It's like hand movements when you have intelligent frame switched to max and you get that ready brek effect. But everything is turned off or min.
I've tried blue ray in the Xbox and this also isn't that great when panning as it doesn't seem smooth.
Maybe we're just not suited to viewing Oled after plasma.

j82k

Oled motion definitely is different from plasma motion. I'm often annoyed by the near instant response time sample and hold stutter when watching 24p content. I don't have a problem with 50/60 fps content though....

Last edited:

eruptron

Standard Member
Oled motion definitely is different from plasma motion. I'm often annoyed by the near instant response time sample and hold stutter when watching 24p content. I don't have a problem with 50/60 fps content though....
Have a gander at this image I've taken tonight Of Ben Stokes and his many hats. What do you reckon?

Attachments

leedspokerguru

Do you get the same blur if you fire up some 4k sports footage on youtube via your tv app or from a USB stick? Basically anything other than your sat box & a sky broadcast.

eruptron

Standard Member
Do you get the same blur if you fire up some 4k sports footage on youtube via your tv app or from a USB stick? Basically anything other than your sat box & a sky broadcast.

Well we also have an issue with the WiFi on this set so it's going back. That means we can no longer watch any of the apps. When it was working and we watched 4k footage we didn't think the picture was fantastic. And there were blurry spots. I can only explain this by saying when there is any depth to the image the TV of the source didn't seem to know what part of the image was the focal point so you got patches that were blurry.
I'm coming to the conclusion that we told we need to size up. In fact maybe we then lose depth of field and you get a blurry image.
We're told to go 4k but maybe the images are upscaled/processed too much and we are losing picture quality. Maybe this is why why we didn't see these blurring effects in movement before now with the plasma because that played 1080 images in 1080 and 4k TVs are just processing everything to death. I said it before I'm now in the position for a replacement were not sure what to do. Get the same again or something else.
This has been ongoing since the start of August and we still have a faulty set and the fault was reported in the first 30 days it's been hard work getting to this point it's been acknowledged that the set has a WiFi fault and the chances are well have a 6 hour round trip to take it back because we didn't save the packaging

leedspokerguru

If the wifi is faulty likely something else is. The blurry shot could be source material (which youtube or usb would rule out) or frame rate (cables or sat box fault).

Before you swap out sets check out a demo in store that has sports motion. Rule it out being a how your eyes process OLED. I'd take the time to find out what it is. Saves you getting a replacement then finding out it was xyz all along.

Russ_64

IMO there is something not right with that unit. I watch F1 and motion is very good. Many users in the GZ thread are saying the same. There have only been a few that had to return bad units.

View attachment 1192802
The motion blur on this set is terrible unless we have a faulty set. If you watch a lot sport like i do go look at it in the flesh first. , The wifi unit has also failed on mine so I'm not sure if the whole set has issues or this is just how it is. So I don't know where to go with replacing it. Another one of these or something else. I've also been put off another Pana as the after care as a long term Panasonic fanboy appears to have deminished considerably.
And this TV gets highly recommended on here and a 9 out of 10 well the stand is just different:
Panasonic GZ1500 (TX-55GZ1500B) 4K OLED TV Review

Something not right here - my advice is to buy a cheap led which is what I did one with good black levels. They are the TVs that should be getting 9 out of 10’s!

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme