1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic NVGS50 or Sony TRV22?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by spark, Aug 18, 2003.

1. spark

spark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to buy my first camcorder, these are the two I've narrowed it down to.

There doesn't seem to be a lot in it. I like how the Panasonic looks more that the Sony, but that's about the only preference I have.

Any opinions?

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hmm. They both have an identical spec. This being the case I'd go into a shop and ask to hold both models in your hand and see which one seems the best from your point of view, and then buy that model.

3. barkercs

barkercs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Spark

I was in the same trouble 2 weeks ago.....i Decided to buy the GS50....the reason been was that it was smaller easier to hold and looked better......I have heard the Sony is slightly better in low light cond'..........done look at the clolour night views on any cam becuase there crap..........Im really please with my Pana and its got loads of good feature.......just though id let you know i got it for £510 and jessops........

Any questions feel free to ask

4. Leesy

Leesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a choice of the GS30 and the JVC GRD70. Went for the JVC in the end. The Panasonic looks awsome but it begs the question: are you paying more for the fact that it is so small and looks the ******?

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Not really, larger camcorders usually have better specs, and cost more.

6. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was desperatley trying to buy the Sony DCR-TRV22 but because of the shortage of supply and being conned by Pixmania, I plumped for the Panasonic NV-GS50B. I got it for £509 from RGB and must say I really like it.

By the way, for all the Comet store fans, they are doing a special offer on the Panasonic NV-GS50B..........£699.99!!!!!!!!!

cheers

pcblues

7. mister_g1970

mister_g1970
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good old Comet. I went in there the other day to pick up a few camcorders and the sales assistant said I wouldn't find a JVC GR-D70 for less on the internet than the £550 it had been 'massively reduced' to in their store. Needless to say you can pick one up for about £400. Didn't get that though. Plumped for a Panasonic GS-50, a great little camera.

8. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must come to the defence of Pixmania here. I phoned up on Monday about a TRV22 to check stock situation. They confirmed they had some. Placed the order via the net which was promptly confirmed then about an hour later someone from Pixmania rang me to confirm my order and address and advised it was being shipped Tuesday and would be delivered Wednesday. I followed it online via DHL and watched it leave Paris and go via Heathrow to my house. It arrived yesterday afternoon and look fab. Havent had time to play yet but I'm happy.

9. pcblues

pcblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That is your experience Ally, I still experienced what I experienced, shame I didn't get the same customer service from Pixmania instead of being conned left, right & centre.
    I didn't even get a response via their customer support email after emailing them several times. Not even an apology...............great customer service, NOT!

cheers

pcblues

10. essex

essex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, can you help me please.

I bought a panasonic nv-g50b off of auctionworld (a sky sattelite auction channel) for £375.

got it home, finally bought a panasonic digital dvd tape from comet and popped it in the camcorder. taped a few minutes (in doors with lights on brightly).

plugged in both the normal video and audio leads and the s-vhs cable as mentioned in the book, and looked on my plasma screen and the quality was awful! I thought, that's it, my plasma screen's going back, but then just checked on a 'normal' tv, and the quality of the picture is so bad! It is VERY grainy indeed. I got my old sony camcorder out of its case (it's about 10 years old) and taped the same sort of pictures indoors. to be honest the picture was no worse (perhaps even better).

oh, and after under an hour's use of the new camcorder, the battery has run out!

Have I been sold a dud, or is mini dv not all it's cracked up to be.

What can I do? I need to send the camcorder back by tomorrow or the day after I think to get my money back.

Any ideas? ie settings, or does all indoor videoing come out grainy? could it be the lens faulty?

11. Enlighten

Enlighten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear! :(

I bought a Panasonic GS50B to replace my Panasonic NVDS55 and boy do I regret it! It's awful under low light conditions, and even under indoor lighting, it's pretty dire (unlike the older models). The flip out screen was not impressive at all - such a narrow viewing angle just made it a pain to use. I'm about to replace it with either a Sony TRV33 or an equivalent.

12. peachfuzz

peachfuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at getting the Sony TRV33, but I've just got the Sony HC40 instead and first impressions are it's a great camera. I've not had a great deal of time to play around with it, but certainly indoor and low light conditions have produced far better results than I was expecting. I've also been very impressed with how quiet it is in operation.
    Got it from Jessops for £550.79 (they couldn't match the best online price of £499.99, but they did throw in a 3 pack of Sony tapes!).
    :smashin: