1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic NVGS400 or Sony or Other?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by plusman, Apr 27, 2005.

1. plusman

plusman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having great difficulty in choosing the right camera and in deciding between a Panasonic NVGS 400 or a Sony H90; or if there is even a better one out there. I've had a look on the forum and am still confused? :rolleyes: Perhaps somebody can help advise? :)

My criteria:
    * Camera costing up to £1000
    * Want excellent picture & sound quality (esp. when played back on a plasma screen) - hence I've been looing at 3CCD models rather than single CCD (Is this the correct choice)
    * Ideally would like widescreen capability
    * Want it to be able to take good still pictures (say at 1-2 megapixel equivalent or greater) and store on flash memory card (SD or Memory stick or whatever)
    * Want good low light capability for indoor shooting (video and stills)
    * Would like it to come with an external microphone or be easily able to be fitted with one when needed (for narration etc). Also would like whatever microphone it has built in to have good wind noise cancellation.
    * Must have dv in/out (for video editing on PC)
    * Minimum of 10X optical zoom
    * Ideally reasonably small & light weight, yet reaonably robust, as want to bring on holidays, and ideally to replace current camcorder and digital stills camera.

Does my holy grail of a camcorder exist? Is it the NVGS400 or HC90, or is there an alternative.

All help appreciated! :lease:

2. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plusman

I am also considering a new camcorder, are you aware that panasonic have brought out several new models NVGS75, 150 & 250 all with 3ccd's.

I am trying to choose between the 75/150 or the Sony 90. Have you been able to find any reviews?

The Sony I believe has 1 ccd but at 3 mega pixel, interesting to see how quality compares? also Sony has other functions that I am not sure the Panny has eg 5.1 sound and widescreen picture

Hmmm difficult!!!!!

Panasonic 150

Sony 90

3. plusman

plusman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm aware of the other Panasonic camcorders; it's just that the 400 seemed to give the best overall performance, though at a price.

I still haven't figured out if a 3CCD is better than one single larger CCD - opinion seems to be divided on the forums from what I can make out.

I've seen some reviews of the Panasonics and others: see http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/CamInfo-Select-The-Best-Camcorders.htm

even though the 400 didn't come out tops in these overall reviews, it did get an excellent review (including putting it ahead of the 400). http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS400-Camcorder-Review.htm

I'm still undecided, though tending towards the 400.