Panasonic NVGS400 - any good?

S

stu_the_sheep

Following on from my previous thread, I'm hoping that this might get a bigger response. I've narrowed my search down to three mini-dv cams at the moment - the Canon XM2, Panasonic NVGS400 and Panasonic NVGS500B.

The NVGS400 retails at about half the price of the XM2, but I get the impression that the XM2 is overpriced relative to its age, whilst the NVGS400 has come down in price a lot recently due to competition from other 3CCD cams - the JVC Everio range, etc.

The 400 is evidently a good camera outdoors, but does anyone here have experience of using it in low light and/or for commercial use please? I'm leaning towards this cam because I could afford two of them for the money I'd pay for an XM2, but am also wondering if I should hang on for the newer version (NVGS500B), as perhaps this will solve any problems highlighted with the 400.....or maybe not!

Thanks (and thanks again for the advice given on my other thread).

S

stu_the_sheep

I just read a great review of the US version of this camera:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS400-Camcorder-Review.htm

But....does anyone here know if the PV-GS400 is the same spec as the NVGS400, or whether it was altered for the European market?

Also, answering my own question a bit, but may be of interest to others, I have since read a review of the 500 and it seems to be a retrograde development - better to stick at 400 (check the link above and search for the PV-GS500 to read a review).

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom