1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic NV-MX300 - A good camera?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by russ hirst, Sep 23, 2005.

1. russ hirst

russ hirst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Anyone got any comments on this camera please? It seems like it has lots of features that you would look for in a Pro cam but are there any downsides to it please?

I have a Mini-DV camcorder and looking to step up.

Thanks all.

Russ

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic wee cams, ran one for a few years which my mate still runs successfully, like any four year old electrical device you would want to buy with a guarantee of somesorts, the transport motor can cause some problems, if its not went by now it must be okay, ask if it's had any repairs, if the motor has been done then this is actually a good thing.

Downside to these cams:

Bottom loading
    Tiny size means you look like a dad a school sports day
    Manual audio level can not be adjusted on the fly
    gain is linked to aperture, you can only add gain once the iris is wide open
    only pseudo widescreen

Plus sides:
    and there are many, every input & output you could want
    razor sharp image quality
    progressive scan at full frame rate
    ease of use
    the compact size is ideal if you want to be discreet
    biggish 1/4" ccds (by todays standards) work well in limited light
    manual everything

There is a good review in the archives

These are good cameras which outperform the current crop of panasonics (yes even the gs400) in terms of image quality, £300 would be the most I'd pay for a mint one, as per my usual advice I would walk away from anything else. Ask about any repairs though.

3. russ hirst

russ hirst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks Roy. The one I have in mind is likely to be more than £300, has only been used 2/3 times since new and is therefore possibly likely to suffer the fault still I think.

Without your input I may have stumbled into something I regretted so I am grateful for your comments Roy but will look out for one of these cams.

Is there anything similar which will deliver the same results at that sort of price level/age? I suspect not and there are threads about "which camera" on this forum but if you had £4/500 and didn't mind a second hand camera, what other camera would you be considering Roy? I would like to get as near to a pro-cam as possible.

Cheers

Russ

4. senu

senu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,865
    I own a (3 + year old MX 350) which i would have been happy to carry on with . It took a fall ( carefree wee lass ran into it on its tripod ) and the image sensor got displaced . recording stopped.. I got home gave it a hard knock and got it working again.
    If you can find one my only complaint is suspect low light performance compared to the Sonys. All but the more upmarket ( Sony Vx 2100) 3 CCD camcorders have a slight low light disdvantage.
    Otherwise in normal use its colour reproduction is brilliant :whites are white black is black. Its auto white balance is great and the optical image stabilisation works a treat. There is zebral pattern and a so so "zoom" mic and wind cutting mic feature. Sound pickup with the built mic is very good to above average . It is true that the gain can only be upped when the Iris is fully open and it is bottom loading but hey.. you cant have everything!. I cannot replace it and am now considering a gs 400 which is £ 780 (cheapest). If you can grab one or a mx 500 less for than £450 do. but bear in mind that long use means more wear and tear and disuse may not always be an advantage