Panasonic NV-HD675 VCR - won't play previously recorded tapes on new TV - advice?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by KirstyS, Dec 31, 2006.

Tags:
  1. KirstyS

KirstyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people,
    My first post, so fingers crossed. I've upgraded my very old telly to an HD-ready digital one and now my VCR doesn't recognise tapes recorded on it. The library contents come up blank. The only tapes that work are prerecorded (bought) ones, so I can't figure out why my tapes won't work. Anyone had a similar problem? Any advice/solutions?
    Many thanks.
    Kirsty

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    Hi Kirsty and welcome to the forum.
    Can you tell us the make/model of your new TV and more importantly how you have it connected to your VCR?...if by scart lead can you tell us which scart goes where at the TV and VCR end?

3. KirstyS

KirstyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JayCee
    Thank you so much for such a fast response and welcome to the forum. I'll get the information you need and post back.
    Kirsty

4. KirstyS

KirstyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again JayCee
    Requisite information: TV is a Bush IDLCD26TV22HD.
    Connections: Scart lead from AV1(TV) on the video to Scart 1 on the TV. Also, from the video a scart lead from AV2(Decoder/Ext) to the scart socket on the DVD player. The aerial is plugged into the video (RF in) and a separate cable from the video (RF out) to the TV aerial socket (Tuner). The DVD player works. Thanks.
    Kirsty

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    Kirsty, you have the connections in the correct places.
    Can I just set your mind at rest and tell you that the TV has no bearing at all on your VCR problem.
    There is probably an incorrect setting on your VCR if it's a Tape Library problem...with the TV on AV1 and your VCR switched on you should be seeing whatever programme you have selected on the VCR and you should see it change if you press the Prog + & - selector.
    There is a possibility you are confusing the "Tape Library" with the Panasonic Q-Link facility...was your old TV a Panasonic by any chance?

6. KirstyS

KirstyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JayCee
    Good to know that I'm not a complete eejit! My old TV was a Ferguson C51F. I'll try out your advice and let you know what happens. The only problem is that at the moment, I can't see anything on my tapes when I press play.
    The menu options are visible, but nothing on the tapes. Cheers. Kirsty

7. KirstyS

KirstyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again JayCee
    In the words of Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it!" On the offchance that there was something wrong with the tape, I put a different one in and yes, you guessed it, it worked. It seems that I happen to choose the only tape that is "dodgy" in some way and not seen by the VCR. All the other numbered tapes I tried worked. There is one other thing though... the picture quality of the taped programmes looks very poor now. Any ideas?
    Cheers. Kirsty.

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    Yes...it looks as though that dodgy tape has dirtied the video heads...when video tape heads are dirty you won't get a decent playback pic from any other tape inserted after the dodgy one...it looks as though there is still some residual dirt on the heads and a tape head cleaner should clear that up and restore a good quality pic.

9. KirstyS

KirstyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks JayCee. I'll get a decent head cleaner and give it a try.
    Happy new year to you.
    Kirsty.

10. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    Good luck and all the best to you and yours too