1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic nv gx7 review?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by AlanM, Dec 19, 2002.

1. AlanM

AlanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to the digital camcorder game, and am interested in buying a panasonic nv gx7. Has anyone got one or have heard good or bad reviews. Can't find a review in "What Camcorder" :cool:

2. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iam in the same position. I have discovered that what video and tv magazine reviewed it back in august 2002 but this is not available on line.

If anyone has a copy of the magazine may be they could scan and send a copy to me. or if that is breaking copy rights may be they could summaris what it says in a reply.

3. AlanM

AlanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.. I eventually bit the bullet and bought the dam thing. It is fantastic and so easy to use. As with any camera if theres not much light the picture suffers but everythng else is brill.
    Now for my second problem, the software you get with the camera is pants so I've odered pinnacle studio dv version 8, having read few reviews it seems to be a decent buy.
    Lastly I'm after an inkjet printer, how do you choose between epson and hewlett packard? I favour HP but am stuck between photosmart 750 and DJ 5550.

I would be grateful for any help..

4. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not too sure if you mean the photosmart 7150 now- any way let me see if I can help.

Both have 6 colour printing and use the latest photoRet IV technology which is superb for colour reproduction especially skin tones. It also will produce extremely good photo printing.

Both have a paper type sensor to detect if you are using photopaper or inkjet paper.

Both allow a duplex unit on the back for double sided printing. I am not too sure if Epson printers allow this because of their paper path which takes up more room on the desk by the way.

The main difference is the photosmart 7150 has a usb port on the front to plug a digital camer into. so if that is a feature for you I would go with it.

The only disadvantage over the dj5550 is that it is a bit slower in mono printing. Hope that helps.

5. AlanM

AlanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks umpf, I haven't gt an HP digital camera so the USB port will not sway my decision. Think I'll probably go for the 5550.

6. luxor

luxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is that Pinnacle studio Dv plus or just studio Dv. Where did you get it from?

7. AlanM

AlanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Studio dv 8, didn't need the SVHS output that plus offers as I will either copy them back to the camera or burn them onto DVD. I bougt it at http://www.savastore.com (part of Watford Electronics) for about £78 as I remember. The extra £50 they wanted for plus also swayed me.

8. luxor

luxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am also getting the Panasonic GVgx7b, was thinking of getting the JVC DVP7, but went to John Lewis and saw thenm side by side and the Panansonic looked better. Is the Studio Dv software good? easy to use? and what DVD burner are u using? Are you concerned over the different DVD formats? DVD-RW, DVD+RW etc? presumably the different formas will play back in standalone DVD players.

9. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guy's , well I have just bitten the bullet and got the Panny GX7B. So far so good. Seems very easy to use. Been playing with it in v. low light and thought it was quite good. Although this is my first camcorder and I have nothing to compare it to. I will discover its limits over the next few weeks and let you know.

Anyway Just thought I would give you my thoughts on Studio 8. I did this all a bit backwards. Got the software and firewire card before a camera ( well not quite true as I was borrowing one at the time to film a friends wedding for them - big resposibility for a novice!!!)

Any way I think studio is very easy to use and ideal for the novice. Having got my camera today with DV- in ( the one I borrowed did not have this) I have been able to test out the other features on Studio that I could not use before - ie. putting my final result back out to tape. Brilliant!! this would have saved me so much of a headache when I did it for my friend. Having to come up with a clever work around to get the same results.

Studio gets very good reviews - it has a good set of transitions - plenty of options when it comes to rendering and saving your master piece, AVI, VCD, SVCD, DV, DVD, internet and real player, MPEG 1 MPEG2 or your own cutomised version of these ( bit rate and size can be altered, and now with the ability to burn to DVD with DVD menus and chapters.

Altering the Bit rate can mean you can get better quality VCD's playing on a DVD player. (well that it is a simple explanation it is a bit more technical)

I have made two films now and that is before having my own camera.

Luxor - "what camcorder?"have a good article this month on the DVD formats. You do need to be careful as not all formats play in all DVD players. If you are getting a dvd burner for your PC
    to use with Pinnacle Studio 8 then you should be okay with either DVD-R or the +R versions - I have not heard other wise.

My only thoughts are that +RW is better in terms of quality and flexibility when it comes to doing other things on the PC as well and may be worth bearing in mind.

10. AlanM

AlanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fo your reply umpf, you certainly seem to have the hang of things now. I have to wait until 13th before I get my copy of studio dv. I did however manage to find a cheaper copy on amazon (59.99 + 2.57 delivery). Can't wit to try it.
    Took some footage outside yesterday, fantastic quality, I can safely say that you, Luxor and myself have made a very ood choice.
    When my software arrives, if get in a bit of a fix, would you mind if I contacted you? (also dvd burning come to that)

11. umpf75

umpf75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan

No problem if I can answer it I will. Other wise I know a man who can ;)

12. luxor

luxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the Panasonic from PRCdirect for 699, hopefully will be with me within the week.