1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Nv-gs5b

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by michellejonez, Oct 20, 2005.

1. michellejonez

michellejonez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone :hiya:

You will have to excuse me as im a woman and a little bit blonde :rotfl:

We have the above mentioned video camcorder and today finally got round to having a dvd player fitted into our computer. I have attached my camcorder in the hope of transferring footage into my HD and then onto dvd, but no luck. It doesn't appear that my computer can see the camcorder to do this. It will play the footage in WMP but thats about it. I have noticed after surfing the net for a while that it maybe that im using usb and possibly need firewire :eek:

Is there anyone out there that is able to explain what this all means, what is needed, how much its going to cost and if its at all possible with a 3-4yr old computer :lease: explain in easy to understand ladies talk :D

2. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As no-one else is replying here goes.

The Manual only mentions the transfer of still images from the SD card by usb whereas DV transfer is by Firewire.

Firewire cards can be picked up quite cheaply if you don't mind installing it yourself otherwise any local PC shop should be able to supply and fit one for you

3. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh and Hi :hiya: Hope tha above helps

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Michelle - in order to do the transfer correctly you need to use a firewire cable and connection. If you have installed the "DV Studio" software that came with your camera it is no good for capturing video - it will only transfer still frames from the camcorder to your PC.

When you connect your camcorder to your PC by firewire (or USB if you are not worried about picture quality) you must also use a capture/video editing programme to control the transfer. If you have Windows XP you will have a free programme called Windows MovieMaker - this will do it for you - failing that have a look at Ulead VideoStudio - you can get a free 1 month trial from here :-
    http://www.ulead.com/vs/trial.htm

Your computer may well be able to edit video but we would need to know much more about the specification of your computer before we can give you any real help - what processor/RAM/ hard disc size and free space etc. for a start

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The chances are that a 2-3 year old PC wont already have a firewire port, but you neve know. I assume that being only a couple of years old it is running Windows XP in which case you should be able to start editing video quickly & easily.

A firewire port can be added easily (if required) by getting a cheap (under £20) PCI firewire card (connects to PC in the same way as a sound card etc) and this should include a cable to connect the cam to the card. Once plugged in to the PC all you need to do is start the PC as no software is required by the card.
    A local PC shop (or friendly local forum member) could fit the firewire card in a matter of minutes, so should be cheap to get somebody else to do it if you are not too confident about going inside a PC.

As Beejaycee has mentioned you should have Movie Maker (version 2 if you have XP service pack 2 installed, ie all the latest MS updates) that is a very good and easy to learn editing program. Full help on how to use it can be found Here, but if you want to create a DVD* from the edited footage you will need to buy some more software to do this. I use and can recommend as being very easy to learn Ulead DVD Movie FActory and this can also be downloaded for a free 30 day trial from Here and if you like it can be bought for around £30.

* you state that you have just had a DVD player installed, did you mean DVD writer? You will need a DVD writer/burner to be able to create your own discs.

Mark.