1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic NV-GS50B - Any reviews or comments?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Joolz, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Joolz

Joolz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there everyone,

I've recently been looking at getting myself a DV camcorder, and have been somewhat baffled by the choices. I've eventually sussed out (sort of:eek:) what's going on and narrowed my choice down to either a Canon MV5iMC or the Panasonic NV-GS50B (I simply didn't really like the feel of the Sony or JVC models in the same price/feature bracket). Looking on the web and in the shops these have very similar specs (except Canon better for stills), but the Canon is almost £200 more so I've decided that the Panasonic at £550 is probably the way to go.
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/product/digitalcamcorder/NVGS50B.htm

Only problem is that the camera seems to be a brand new model and I wanted to get some assurance that this is not a complete turkey. I've been unable to find any reviews of the camera online or in magazines:confused:

Has anyone seen a review I can check out for the camera? If it's a magazine I'll go hunt it down, but any online links welcome obviously!!!:cool:

Alternatively if anyone uses/owns one of these and has any feedback I'd appreciate knowing how you found the camera.

Thanks ever so much in advance. All I want is some assurance and +ve feedback and this shiny new toy could be mine MwuHaHaaHAAAA:devil:

Cheers
    Joolz:cool:

2. JimM

JimM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Joolz

Have you managed to find any reviews elsewhere on this camera, I'm in exactly the same position. I like the look of it but just want to make sure it's not a complete lemon.

Cheers

Jim

3. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Joolz

Joolz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

Yes I'd seen this review of the GS5 which is why I'm interested in the updated model which is even smaller and lighter I believe with a similar feature set. I think the GS 10,30 and 50 replace the older GS1, 3 and 5.

I was hoping that they'd be some reviews stating how the new GSx0 model range has overcome the shortcomings of the older GSx range but there seems to be no information on the new models anywhere, short of the online stores. I've seen with the Canon models that the MV4 was pretty flawed, but the newer MV5 more than makes up for this.

So has noone seen reviews or used one of the new Panasonics? Anyone bit the bullet and bought one? What do you think?

Cheers
    Joolz

5. Joolz

Joolz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah well. lemon or not I've now got one...:clap:

John Lewis were selling it for £699. I had to smile when they pricematched £529 that I'd got through browsing What Camcorder for a couple of hours.

I've only played with it briefly for the moment but there are a million features and this looks like a seriously well-specced bit of equipment!

Joolz:blush: