1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic NV-GS400- anyone know if it's any good?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ashley_moran, Jun 27, 2004.

1. ashley_moran

ashley_moran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've just registered on the forum because I am hoping to buy my own camcorder soon. I have used my stepdad's Panasonic NV-DS11 and have been very pleased with it, but I need my own because it starts rows if I borrow his all the time!

I looked at a few, including the Sony DCR-HC85 (some comments about an image fault put me off), the Canon MVX250i and the Panasonic NV-GS200. After reading the reviews I decided the Panasonic would be the best bet, but then I heard about the NV-GS400. It's a lot more expensive (£1200 vs £700) but has some features that appeal to me- optical image stabilisation, a better LCD, larger CCD, better zoom (marginally). It's also a more substantial camcorder and would be more practical for hand-held work. I want a versatile camcorder, and I read that the NV-GS200 is best suited to tripod work because of its poor image stabilisation.

I wondered if anyone has seen one for real or even used one, and what they think of it. I have one on back order from Jessops. A girl I spoke to in the shop rang head office, but she wasn't clear whether anyone had had orders fulfilled yet. I have a good feeling about the camcorder, based on Panasonic's previous camcorders and the NV-GS120/200 but it's a big purchase without reading a detailed review first, so I would be grateful of any comments. The problem is I need a camcorder by at least the end of July, and preferably before the 10th (not likely to happen).

2. steve@pubagain

steve@pubagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi... i am in the same boat as you. I have spent hours on the net trying to find a review of some kind before I dip my hand in my pocket. As you say the specifications read real good, I am impressed with the stills quality at 4.0 Megapixels as I need a camera that is capable of providing good quality stills as well as video.. Hope you have better look at finding more info than I.. If a find anything I will forward to you..

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No experience of GS400, have experience of previous Panasonic consumer high end gear (owned or used DX100's, EZ30's, MX300/350/500's) always been very impressed.

Panasonics are always well priced at this level, the only concern was the trend in the 500 to use smaller chips (1/8th inch, comparible sonys and canons used 1/4 or 1/4.5) but this was not to the detrament of image quality.

From what i've seen the 400 is very similar to the 500, but for the higher stills. I would recommend these panasonics over the sony 950 (although it has recently been superceded) but not the Canon xm2.

At this level Panasonic traditionally have been sneered at, their cameras are usually more compact and have a couple of consumer style discrepancies (no ND filter, though neither does the sony 950 and a zoom toggle rather than a more professional zoom rocker) I use Panasonic DVCPRO's for commercial work and they are as far as I'm concerned the bees knees, although I highly rate the canon xm at the prosumer level, it does cost more than the MX500, and as likley the GS400.

4. Michel_Fayad

Michel_Fayad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody know the difference between Panasonic PV-GS400 and NV-GS400?

5. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been scouring the net for a couple of items, one being the Pana 400 (with 1/4.7" chips) and seen it for less than £1100 at several outlets.

I have been the owner of a Pana DA1 for some time and it gives excellent results for a 1 chip cam so the 400 should be better.

Martin

6. Zacha76

Zacha76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am here for the same reason - to find out if the NV-GS400 is worth buying.

But I have another question also. When reading reviews of the NV-GS200 and the NV-MX500, the biggest complaints have been about the video result when the lighting is bad. I know that the sensors are bigger in the 400 (1/4,7"). But checking the minimum illumination it varies a lot between the models. The 500 has 10 lux, the 200 has 1 lux and the 400 has 2 lux. How much does this effect the result of the filming? Anyone knows?

7. vallhall

vallhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    After what am been told, the GS400 was only 3 lux better than MX500

8. Real2Reel

Real2Reel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be extremely wary of this camera it is very similar to the MX500b and am I glad i managed to sell mine on Ebay!!!. Unless your outside in decent daylight this camera is pants very bad grain everywhere as for the stills (Altho camcorders shouldnt be compared to regular digital cameras) the 3 mega stills were awful had as much details as a very blurred 1 mega. I hav only joined this forum cos i intitally saw the top thread and thought i gotta tell you guys NO i sold mine so i can get a SONY VX2100E and as a second cam am gonna get a Canon XM2. Steer clear. When the novelty wears off you realise that Panasonics at this spec/price are grossly out performed. Either pay a lot more for a higer end Pana or dont bother.

9. gwoodroffe

gwoodroffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much deliberation between the Sony DCR-PC330 and the Panasonic NVGS400B, I have just bought the NVGS400 from Gultronics in London (on Tottenham Court Road) for £1050.

I decided that the 400 was better on the basis that it's a triple CCD (better colour representation), it takes stills at up to 4.1Megapixels (note that this is acheived using interpolation/pixel shift technology referred to as AXIS - effective 990*3=2970k, 70k lower than the sony) and it supports 25 frames per second (progressive), none of which are features of the Sony.

Overall the dimensions of the two cameras balance out to an equal, with the Panasonic being longer (depth) but shorter (height) than the Sony, so it's all up to whether you prefer the matchbook or compact.

I know the Sony DCR-PC350 is due in September, but I couldn't wait - you have to take the plunge some time...

If anyone has any particular questions, or wants to see some pictures or videos from this camera, please post your request and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
    Greg

10. tomapete

tomapete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can sum1 who's got GS400 and have/had experience with MX500 compare them in terms of Low Lite and IS, especially IS. My biggest beef with my 953 is IS - its optical a/r and doesnt distort the picture but on the other hand i cant get setady shots with it.. even at 2X zoom picture starts 'swimming', no matter what i do. It does compensate for shake but i think MX500's calibrated so fine that hand shake get translated into panning.
    Also folks here offered to post frame grabs and videos of GS400 - if you can do so, especially low lite as well as video clips demonstrating IS workings.

11. gwoodroffe

gwoodroffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People,

following a distinct lack of information when I was comparing the Sony DCR-PC330 and Panasonic NV-GS400B, I have decided to post a couple of MPG files demonstrating the Mega Optical Image Stabiliser - which is one of the really nice features.

I'll soon be posting demonstrations of the Still capability and low light videos.

To download the four videos, please go to the following site and click on the hyperlinks:

http://www.woodroffe.plus.com/index.html

Cheers,
    Greg