Panasonic NV-GS3 - Now what ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Griffin, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Griffin

Griffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to be a pain...

I've just got myself a Panasonic NV-GS3, (Expecting delivery in about a week). Now what do I need to get the footage off the tape, into my PC, edited & back onto VHS (or VCD) ?

I'm totally new to all this DV stuff so any pointers would be a humoungous help.

TNX

G.

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You need:

1. A fairly powerful PC with lots of fast HDD space. Min P3 , 256Mb, 40Gb of free HHD, a 7200rpm HDD - preferably dedicated to video as a slave, a Firewire OHCI port card. Running W98SE. Geforce 2 graphics card

2. Video editing application - suggest Studio 8

3. If you want to output to VHS - Studio Deluxe

3. A camera with DV-in enabled to store edited video without quality loss. 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable.

3. kiwiranger

kiwiranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would suggest that you DON'T use Win98 as it is unstable/unreliable. Go for Win XP or Win2K. Make sure that your hard disk is formattted for NTFS as Windows 98's FAT32 system will not cope will files larger than 2GB (which is small beans in the world of DV editing).

Other than that, JefUK has hit the nail on the head.

4. Griffin

Griffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys,

Here's the spec of my system:

AMD 1800XP
    1GB Ram
    2 x 80GB 7200 HDD (NTFS Formatted)
    64MB Geforce 4 with TV out
    Windows XP

I've got myself a copy of Premier on recommendation of the DTP guys I work with.

What type or Firewire card & Cable should I be looking for ? If someone could recommend me a reasonable one because I'm nearly broke now !!!

Oh for Markman (you know who you are) - Thanks a lot you idiot, what did I ever do to you ?

5. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    System spec looks fine.

For Firewire card look at DABS http://www.dabs.com/ Dynalink 1394 OHCI compatible - has 4 and 6 pins sockets - Quicklinx 16JDWS

6. lydiajohnson

lydiajohnson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hiya i have also got a NV-GS3B, i have had it for years and just dug it up but it doesnt have a PC cable, i was wondering what cable you used for your camcorder and where you bought it as i cant seem to find one anywhere on the internet. thanks