1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic NV-GS200 & PV-GS200

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Norbert666, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there. We are looking into getting a camcorder this crimbo.

We've narrowed our search down to two main cameras:

1. Panasonic NV-GS120; and
    2. Panasonic NV-GS200.

[NB I've used the UK ref, read on to see why]

My brother-in-law lives in US, and is coming over this christmas. He has offered to pick us up a camera over there and bring it over for us.

The US models are the PV model and are slightly different (lower spec). BUT, you can buy a PAL version in the US, presumably a grey import. And the difference in pricing is odd. Here is a summary:

- NV-GS120 --> UK £434 --> US £395 (at current exchange rate)
    - NV-GS200 --> UK £646 --> US £473 "
    - PV-GS120 --> UK N/A --> US £380 "
    - PV-GS200 --> UK N/A --> US £370 "

Now, the PAL GS200 is almost half price in the US. And the US (NTSC) GS200 is cheaper then the GS120.

It seems madness for us to not get the PAL GS200 in the states for half price, but to be honest all these different model numbers, differing specifications and pricing has really confused both of us.

My questions to you are as follows:

1. First, what do you think of importing from US? What are the pitfalls and are they worth it for a huge saving?

2. How do warranties work?

3. What about the differing specifications?

4. Why are there PAL versions in the States? Are they merely for people like me looking for a deal outside of Europe?

5. And finally, in summary, is getting the NV-GS200 (PAL version) from the US a good idea or not?

Thanks and regards

A very confused

James

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure that the model is the NVGS200B, the NV prefix B suffix indicates the Pal version. That is absolutely imperitive.

A lot of US filmmakers prefer PAL cameras because they capture at higher resolution and have a frame rate closer to film.

If you can get a good price then great, my other advice would be to ditch the box and all packaging, pack the handbook etc away from the camera, that way you are less likely to get hit for import duty. The Panasonic warranty shoul dbe worldwide, but you will probably get hit with a handling fee by a uk dealer of Panasonic UK in order to have your camera services should anything go wrong.

If you are getting that good a saving I would seriously look at the Panasonic GS400!.

3. veefour

veefour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just recieved my NV GS 200 PAL bought in Brooklyn in november.A word of caution.I used Streetprices.com for price comparisons and found Broadway photo the best but as you might find when I went to buy they wanted extra for the battery and charger?Strange but true.My local contact did their own research and found A+M photo world better but also quoted without battery and charger.I bought from A+M and its a PAL camcorder,I have done some light work and editing with it and all seemed fine until I tried AV in.I have so far not been able to get this to work which is worrying because its one of the main reasons I got this model.Be warned and do your home work!
    Regards veefour