• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic NV GS180 camcorder

G

gruffalo

I’m considering the GS180 as a replacement for a faulty Canon MV750i

What’s the difference between GS180B and GS180EF?
I’ve seen both for sale but can’t figure out if there’s a difference.
I take it NV is the same as PV in the US

Also, US website gives good reviews for Canon Elura 100 – is there a UK equivalent?
Is there a simple way of finding out what the various manufacturer codings are/mean?

thanks

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
What’s the difference between GS180B and GS180EF?

The UK model is the GS180EB-S (S for Silver) to use it's full model name. These sometimes get abbreviated, but if you are seeing GS180B that would be the British (B for Britian) model.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/pukweb04-otm-cam-minidv/nv-gs180eb-s/index.htm

GS180EF is the French model. Will be functionally the same but come with a French plug.
http://www.panasonic.fr/servlet/PB/menu/1222022_l3/index.html

I take it NV is the same as PV in the US
Yes

Also, US website gives good reviews for Canon Elura 100 – is there a UK equivalent?

Yes - the MVX460. The MVX450 is the same without DV and AV input. (US equivanent of the MVX450 does not exist).

Is there a simple way of finding out what the various manufacturer codings are/mean?

No... with the exception of Canon it's generally fairly easy, the models are the same with a different prefix and or suffix. With Canon they changed the models totally. I've not seen a full master list but have picked up the mapping over time for most of the models.

G

gruffalo

thanks Mark, I knew there would be some logic behind it but couldn't figure it out. I got nervous because with the old canon models an i suffix was a completly different model.
I've read several of your previous postings.
I was thinking the GS180 because it's about the right price range for what I need and seems to get good reviews. GS300 seems about £100 more. Is it worth it for optical image stabilisation and DV input capability? I think the video quality is also a bit better?

Alternative was the canon MVX450/460. Again I fancied the 460 for DV input but can't seem to find them as easily. Are they otherwise the same?

Thanks
Martin

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Martin,

GS180, GS300, and MVX450/460 - all good camcorders for the money.

Comparing the GS180 and the GS300 - as well as the DV-in and OIS the 300 has a better lens, and yes better video quality. Is it worth the extra? Depends on your budget.

The MVX450 and MVX460 are identical except that the 460 has inputs (AV and DV) whilst the 450 doesn't. It does seem the 460s are currently in short supply.

The MVX450/460 are similar in overall quality and price to the GS180. One advantage of the Canon models is they are true widescreen - you get full quality in widescreen mode. With the GS180 you don't, and worse yet the image stabilisation doesn't work in widescreen mode. For this reason if widescreen is important I'd go for the Canon. The GS300 isn't true widescreen either, but at least it doesn't have the issue with the image stabilisation, and the overall quality is good enough that the quality of the widescreen video is still very good.

felix2

Hi,

I've had a Panasonic NV-GS180 for a couple of months, and it can produce some very impressive pictures for the price (and for its size!). With 3 CCD chips it really does give very sharp colours. But probably its worst feature is its electronic image stabilisation, which isn't the best. If I'm using a tripod I often turn the I.S. off, or if it's handheld I turn I.S. on but hope that it's not too windy or cold outside!!! Actually, the I.S. isn't that bad, but certainly not as good as others I've seen. It may be worth you trying to get your hands on the different models and see how the Optical I.S. compares so you can decide if it's worth the extra!...

PS. NV- stands for PAL (Europe), and PV- is for NTSC (US). Obvious, hey?!

G

gruffalo

Thanks for the comments guys.
I've been out of the loop for a few days.
Had intended to buy this weekend but other things took over.
need to shop during the mad final week now - d'oh.
I'd previously noticed that camcorder lenses tend to be quite narrow.
since I'm mainly using for small scale events, eg in the house or garden I often found I was too close to the subject to fit it all in - even for the small scale nursery play, I had to be half way up the hall before I could get the whole stage in.
so I'm considering buying a wide angle lense attachment as well.
any thoughts on their relative merits/effectiveness?

Thanks
Martin

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Yes, that is true, and a wide angle lens adapter is a useful thing. As long as you get a decent one it will work fine.

felix2

A wide angle conversion lens came with my GS-180 when I bought it second hand. It's a Raynox 0.7x Insta-Wide which I think would have cost £20 new. I haven't used it 'in anger' yet, but looks good and useful when I've tried it. [Note to self: seeing as I've got it, why not use it instead of walking backwards over cliffs trying to get the shot in!] Just to point out the blatantly obvious, do get one that fits your camera's filter thread size (this one's a snap-on that fits a range of sizes).

G

gruffalo

thanks again to you both
I searched for many hours over 3-4 weeks before finding this site and reading some sensible, down to earth, and impartial information.
In case anyone is interested, it wasn;t easy to find this site. if you do a web search for "camcorder review" or something similar you just end up with list of price conparison websites which don't really provide any information to help choose. camcorderinfo.com provides excellent reviews but the difficulty was different model numbering, which you cleared up Mark.

keep up the good work, I'll be following this site now:clap:
I'll let you know what I end up with

thanks
Martin

G

gruffalo

Bought NV GS180 yesterday from Jessops at good price of £285.
I'm not sure if it was a mistake but I lost concentration at the critical moment and actually left the shope before realising I'd been charge £330. I had to go back in for a refund but they were ok about it.
I looked into wide angled lenses and there seem to be two kinds, threaded (£50) and clip on (£20).
Anyone have any experience of both?
Is the clip on any good or better to go for the screw in?
I was thinking a 0.5x. Is this sufficient for "normal" uses or is 0.7x better?

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom