1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic NV-GS11EB - PC Firewire

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by scrozuk, Dec 28, 2004.

1. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have been having a battle with getting Mini DV footage to my PC for nearly two years, which has been driving me crazy.

I originally bought a Sharp VL-NZ50 which to take on holiday with me, and that in the near future I could get it hooked up to the computer after I got a firewire card.

I later bought a basic firewire card which came with the cable I needed to fit both the camera and the card. Card installed alright (Windows XP Pro), but when I switched the camera on in playback mode, nothing, zip, nada.

I bought a new 128Mb graphics card, upped the RAM to 1Gb, uninstalled and reinstalled the firewire card. When I bought a laptop for the wife, which came with firewire, tried that, and that failed too.

Spoke to Sharp and they said it was a problem with Microsoft Windows, and should speak to them, spoke to Microsoft and they said it was a problem with the camcorder and should speak to Sharp.

Reluctantly, I then decided a month ago to purchase a Panasonic NV-GS11EB camcorder which will connect using either firewire or USB.

I can get screengrabs with the USB connection, but no video (think that the preference is to go to Firewire). So I connected it to the firewire, put into playback mode, switched it on, nothing detected in Windows, tried to run Windows Movie Maker and when I try to 'Capture from device', I get the error message that "A video captuer device was not detected. Verify that a device is turned on and connected properly and then try again".

In the manual it does mention that you can buy the DV Motion Studio and Interface card from Panasonic for £100 (model number VW-DTM41E), and I was just wondering if it is any difference from the basic firewire card I have installed in the PC.

I have Adobe Premier Pro waiting to be used, but it states the the device is offline.

I work in the IT industry, but am new to the DV stuff, so any help would be welcomed.

Has anyone else purchased this camera and managed to get video from the camera transferred to their PC? If so, what was used, because I am not sure whether or not to shell out for the Panasonic interface card with software, if say the Pinnacle stuff can do just as good a job.

Thanks

ScroZuk

2. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The spec of my PC is as follows:

AMD Duron 1100, 1Gb RAM, 128Mb nVidia MX440 GFX, 80Gb, NEC DVD Writer.

Loads of space on the disk, approx 50Gb free.

Thanks

ScrozUK

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Well I think you would be waisting money if you buy the Panasonic hardware/software. This is only the same thing as you already have.
    My thought would be that perhaps you have a knackered firewire cable. Have you tried replacing it?
    If you look in 'Device Manager' does the iee1394 controller (another name for firewire card) show as being installed ok, or does it have the yellow '!' beside it? If you have the '!' then you may have a knackered firewire card, but as the laptop didn't work either then would think the cable is more likely to be the problem.

Also suggest you try the following:

connect cam via firewire
    put cam in playback mode
    reboot PC
    start capture software

if the software is started before you have the cam powered on in playback mode then it is unlikely to find the cam once it is switched on.

Mark.

4. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to us:

>>Well I think you would be waisting money if you buy the Panasonic >>
    >>hardware/software. This is only the same thing as you already have.

Glad that someone else thinks so cos to me it does seem a waste of money if I already have that basic kit and can choose from Adobe Premier Pro and Pinnacle.

>>My thought would be that perhaps you have a knackered firewire cable. >>Have you tried replacing it?

It's a possibility. Thing is on my desktop I have a 6 pin male to 4 pin male cable, and for my laptop, I have a 4 pin male to 4 pin male cable, and surely not even I can be that unlucky to get two duff firewire cables, will check it out though to be sure.

>>If you look in 'Device Manager' does the iee1394 controller (another name >>for firewire card) show as being installed ok, or does it have the yellow '!' >>beside it? If you have the '!' then you may have a knackered firewire card, >>but as the laptop didn't work either then would think the cable is more >>likely to be the problem.

When I put Windows XP on the pc it found it without a problem. When I tried to make some changes to the driver it stuffed it up so I had to remove the card, reboot, then shutdown put card back in and boot Windows up again and the Firewire controller is now okay.

There are some other things I am gonna try tonight. Got 8 hours of nothingness to kill so why not.

Thanks for the help so far.

Will try the other suggestions as well.

ScrozUK

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Another thought:

Is the firewire port on the motherboard or a dedicated PCI card, or is it on your soundcard? I have advised many people on this forum that are haveing problems with DV capture to not use a firewire port on a soundcard as they tend to not be 100% compatable. Whenever they have added a PCI card with firewire they have been able to capture with no further problems.

Another thing to try would be to beg/borrow/steal another camcorder and see if that works on the PC & Laptop. If it does then you know you have a problem with your camcorder.

Mark.

6. RatsPom

RatsPom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    You seem to be having alot of trouble. I purchased this exact same Mini DV Camcorde for my son to use when he goes to Las Vegas next March, anyway we got a Firewire cable 4 pin (camera) to 6 Pin (PC) and after faffing around for about 1/2 hour I managed to suss out how to download pre recorded video to the PC, basically I switched the camcorder on and Windows Movie Maker application started itself, after making a few on screen choices, I switched the camcorder into playback mode and then using the controls on the cam keypad rewound the tape at the same time WMM offered me the choice to download the tape to the PC once this is accepted WMM carries on and downloads the video, once on the PC you can edit,add sound, use transitions and then finally save it to harddisk..

My system is a self build Barton 2800+ using an Asus A7n8x v2 nForce2 board with 1gb generic PC2700 ram and WinXP Home SP2.

If you still have snags I'll do a couple of screen grabs to show the options from within WMM

Regards

Mac

7. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I tried my previous camcorder in the firewire ports on the desktop pc with the firewire interface card (both powered and unpowered), without success, and also tried my laptop with builtin firewire, both were unsuccessful, which is why I made the move to a new camcorder.

Now, when I bought the firewire interface card, I got the basic bog-standard card from Novatech, mainly because I thought that was all I needed and didn't need to spend out much on an interface card from say Pinnacle, et al. I did previously have Windows 98SE on my PC, but upgraded to XP Pro SP2 last year and didn't have a problem with it seeing the interface card, but it simply fails to talk to the camcorder.

I've tried Premier Pro, Pinnacle Studio, and Windows Movie Maker. All fail to see the camcorders. I was wondering what is supposed to happen when you plug in the camcorder and power it on. Does it get listed in the Device Manager or anywhere else in XP.

The other things I tried was powering the camcorder on and connecting it to the PC then powering up the PC/laptop, both without success. I tried the same again with the camcorders in both playback and recording mode, but again without success.

Now I've been able to get the camcorder seen in Windows Movie Maker when I connect using the USB connection and put the playback in WEB camera mode, but I'm concerned about picture quality, and would prefer to get the camcorder to download using the DV connection.

The only logical conclusion I can make with this is that the Firewire interface card I have in my desktop is cr*p, and that the firewire interface I have in the laptop isn't much better.

I might try to get hold of a decent interface card that may also handle the analogue video capture (as I'll also want to put old video I transferred to tape onto DVD). Anyone got any suggestions for this?

Thanks

ScrozUK

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I would tend to think that your problems are not with the firewire port, the chances of having 2 PCs both with a problematic firewire port must be minimal!
    I would think that the chances are the problems are more to do with XP SP2. A few people have posted problems with their camcorders not being detected via firewire after installing SP2 and IIRC another common link is Panasonic camcorders.
    To try and prove this it might be an idea to try and borrow a different make of DV camcorder and see if you can connect that via firewire on your PC & laptop.

I'm now starting to get a bit worried as I haven't tried connecting my Sony cam since upgrading to SP2. Maybe in the morning when the hangover from last night is a distant memory I'll try my cam.

Mark.

9. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I tried that with the first mini-DV camcorder a Sharp VLNZ50, which failed on both my laptop and desktop PC. It even failed in connection on a PC that a friend asked me to order in for them. This is why I then moved to a Panasonic thinking that this would resolve the issue..

I'm just gonna have to spend a bit of time speaking to Panasonic next week. Am I right in just sticking with the basic entry level firewire card?

ScrozUK

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    That's what the vast majority of people use with no problems.
    I'm still thinking that this problem is more to do with SP2 than anything else. But Ms being MS only time will tell :rolleyes:

Mark.

11. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm..

Should have brought the firewire card into work and put it into one of the workstations here.. They run Win2000 Pro, would have been interesting to see.

That's what the vast majority of people use with no problems.
    I'm still thinking that this problem is more to do with SP2 than anything else. But Ms being MS only time will tell

True.. nothing like Microsoft striving to improve their products by stuffing up everyone else's.

Hohum. The search continues!

ScrozUK

12. deadhippo

deadhippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im having a similar problem with my panasonic dv (NV-GS5)
    its a japanese model
    i connect it to my pc with a 4pin/6 pin cable
    doesnt register
    im using service pack one

on my girlfriends laptop (service pack 2) and with a 4/4 pin cable it works fine

according to the properties

This device is working properly.

IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    This sounds more like a problem with the firewire card rather than a problem connecting a camcorder to the card.
    Can you give us the specs of your PC & OS and then we may be able to offer more advise.

Mark.

14. deadhippo

deadhippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    intel desktop board D865PERL
    pentium 4 2.8 (Northwood)

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/index.htm

with a firewire that plugged right into the mobo along with two USB 2.0 at the front

OS XP SP2

thanks for reply

well, you must be right
    i used the firewire on the board and it worked fine
    i dont know why the adapter in the front didnt work
    i guess ill have to open it up again and have a look inside
    if i find the problem ill let you know
    ive had the same proplem with the usb ports sometimes and also my keyboard
    stopped working
    i had to get a usb keyboard
    somebody said it might be an irq conflict
    i dont really know what to do in that situation though

15. Daverey2

Daverey2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

I have the same Panasoic camcorder and connected to my PC via a cheapo firewire card & cable it works fine.

I run Windows 2000 Pro and use Pinancle Studio 8.

Thanks

Dave

16. callwing

callwing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we've just bought a Panasonic NV-GS11 too and have tried tonight connecting via a firewire 4:4 cable to a new PCMCIA combined firewire/usb2 combo card with no success at all.
    Connecting via usb is ok though and everything in device manager also looks ok. I know it's not the cable as we also have a Liteon dvd recorder that has firewire connection and when I connect the Panasonic to that it plays straight away without a problem.
    It's been driving me mad tonight trying just to get my laptop to see the camcorder via firewire - I must say we have no video editing software yet but surely the camcorder should be recognised without that? or do I have to point to it via editing software? I have no other firewire devices to check my pcmcia firewire card connection with but the usb ports on it are ok.

My laptop has W2000, Toshiba Tecra 8200 so a few years old but looked after!

17. callwing

callwing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finally resolved the problem - whilst the camera is connected and switched on I used the new hardware wizard in W2000 and found Microsoft dv camera & VCR listed as a hardware device so selected that. Then when I used the Arcsoft software that came with the Panasonic camcorder and selected the camcorder icon as the source Microsoft dv camera was selectable as the source and once selected the images came through. The camcorder still wasn't shown in My Computer which I was expecting but at least it now works. Hope this may help someone else as the Panasonic manual is no help at all.

18. dilsnik

dilsnik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also having a nightmare getting my pana ns-gv11 recognised in XP Pro SP1 with firewire (on motherboard MSI kn72g ilsr). 1394 looks fine in device manager, I'm using a 6/4 cable, reboot pc, turn on cam, NO JOY! its driving me insane.
    Also tried the cam on a friends Win 2000 SP4, SIIG standalone 1394 card, guess what....no joy. My friends samsung mini dv works fine on his comp and mine. I'm at my wits end. Have sent email explaining problem to panasonic support uk (4 days ago), and still haven't heard anything back. does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    dilsnik.

19. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well. Another month, and I'm no closer to sorting out this problem..

Extremely frustrating is an understatement. Since I bought my first Sharp MiniDV cam, I've bought the firewire card, a new graphics card, upped the memory, upped the OS, tried both Pinnacle and Premier Pro as well as the built in MS Movie Maker, applied the XP SP2 patch that knackers the firewire settings. Still nothing, nada.. tried all sorts of tweaking with the camcorder, the cabling, tried hardware wizard.

The Desktop I've got is AMD Duron 1100, 80Gb disk, 8x DVD-RW NEC, 128Mb nVidia MX440-SE GFX, Win XPSP2. The firewire connection is on a basic NEC class 6-4 firewire connection.

The laptop is P4 2.4Gb, 256Mb, 30Gb disk, cd burner, Win XP Home SP2, builtin firewire 4-4 connection.

As I have two different cable requirements, could it be possible that the reason why I can't get it to work is thus:-

1, Specs of the workstation/laptop is not beefy enough to deal with firewire thus Win XP says, 'forget it!'.
    2, That the firewire connections I have on both laptop/desktop are stuffed.
    3, That both firewire cables don't work.

I have been toying with the idea of getting the Pinnacle Studio AV/DV deluxe, but I don't want to shell out £100 and find that doesn't work either.. I will need the AV bit as I'll be wanting to pull in stuff that we have previously put onto tape when I had the original Video 8 camcorders.

The suppliers of the camera have been no help, Panasonic still haven't responded and I've still got ten tapes to transfer to disk!!

If anyone else has any ideas, then I'd be most grateful..

Thanks

ScroZUK

20. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but this is another 'me too' post.

Replaced my Canon 530i (which worked fine out the box) with a Panasonic NVGS120B, and I cannot get any applications to work with it: I have MGI VideoWave, MM2, VideoWorks, and Premiere LE.

I'm using the 6-4 Firewire cable which came with the Canon, on an Asus A7N8XE-deluxe motherboard with on-board Firewire. I'm also using XP-SP2 , and Device Manager reports no probs with IEEE1394 interface.

I have a spare Firewire PCI card, so I'll try dropping that in to see if it works, but from what I've read here, I don't hold out much hope ...

Paul

21. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, tried VIA firewire card, that disn't work either: Think this camera might be going back to the suppliers...

Paul

22. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Scrozuk, sorry to hear you are still having trouble! Let us know where in the UK you are? Maybe one of us could come round and try to help you - or failing that we could get an exorcist over to sanctify your setup. :D

Seriously tho' have you got any mates or neighbours with another camcorder you could try just to eliminate that possibility?

Finally - are you sure your house wasn't built on an old indian burial ground? :rolleyes:

23. mw01908

mw01908
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a Panasonic GS-15. I am researching putting together an editing PC, to use with the Camera. After reading this thread I am wondering if these Panasonic cameras don't work with DV into a pc. I have not tried mine as I have no firewire port, but the camera does have USB 2. Can transfers be done using the USB2 port?

24. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    No! USB2.0 is not good enough to carry all the information required. Some camcorders can pass web cam type quality via USB or still pictures from memory cards if on the cam.

Mark.

25. dilsnik

dilsnik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right Folks,

Finally after almost 2 weeks, panasonic customer support have finally got back to me. Here's my origianl message and panasonics reply.

Panasonic NV-GS11EB. Cannot transfer video to PC via Firewire. Have
    correct

Firewire driver, Have used various DV software, all to no avail. All
    PC's I

have tried the camera on fail to recognise it through firewire
    (Win2000,
    WinXP
    PRO). Have even installed windows patch specifically for panasonic
    camcorders,
    still no joy. Can you help?

ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr Lepts,

Thank you for your email enquiry.

In response, it would appear that the camcorder is fault if it has been
    tried on more than one machine. I would explain that Panasonic UK has
    introduced nationwide Camcorder Service Centres which will be able to
    effect repairs in or out of guarantee. There is one telephone number
    (below) which will automatically route you to the nearest specialist
    service centre. They will then be able to arrange collection of your
    unit.
    They offer repairs under the terms of the guarantee or fixed hourly
    charges
    and a fixed transportation fee.

0870 906 8357

We do, however, recommend that you call this number from a domestic
    telephone line, preferably at your own home.

I trust that this information has been of assistance to you. However,
    of
    course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate
    to
    contact us on 08705 357357 or customer.care@panasonic.co.uk and we will
    endeavour to assist.

Regards,
    Customer Support

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Regards,
    Dilsnik.

26. scrozuk

scrozuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I await with baited breath to see how you get on. Will be interesting to see if Panasonic fix the problem.

No stuff it, I think I'll give them a call this morning too..

Interesting part though will be to see that as I bought the camcorder from Pixmania which came across from France.. think it should as it has the proper european standard stamp on it!

Got a work colleague who has a Panasonic Camcorder that works on his Sony laptop with firewire, so am asking him to bring in laptop and we'll test it. If camcorder works, looks like my pc setup is sh*te, but if it doesn't work, then looks like Panasonic are gonna have a camcorder to fix!

To klr10.. not sure if our house was built on an indian burial ground. But will say that when I first got wireless, couldn't get it working at all in the front room downstairs, but everywhere else in the house was perfect and up most of the garden too, so hey I could have some disturbed spirits in there.. must stop the wife drinking the gin!

ScrozUK
    In Southampton.

27. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to say I have emailed Panasonic UK with details of the problem (at least I think I did, there are a number of broken links on their web-site, so I didn't get the expected confirmation).

I have borrowed a colleague's Panasonic NV-DA1 today, plugged in my Firewire cable and it quite cheerfully popped up the dialog, started Windows MovieMaker, and let me control the camera, so I can be sure that it's not my rig that's defunct.

The bugger's going back and I'll get me a Canon.

Paul

28. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi scrozuk et al,

I have been experiencing issues capturing video from a Panny (NV GS55) via firewire too.

Windows XP Pro (SP2) (all patches applied)
    ABit KT7-A RAID (nForce2)
    1GB RAM

I'm sorry to say though, that I am at least a step closer to full functionality than scrozuk, who must be really chuffed off by now! :mad:

When I first plugged in (firewire), WindowsXP detected the device fine and picked up the model etc (before installed anything which came with the camera). I've just had problems capturing anything.

Tried Windows XP MovieMaker to begin with, which kicked into action and asked me some encouraging questions. After selecting the capture quality etc, I clicked on the final step, at which point it informed me the tape would now rewind and begin capturing... Nothing happened. At all. Zippo. :thumbsdow

So, I decided to install all the (usually crappy) software which was shipped with the camera. After reboot etc, launched the relevant capturing software, to find it wouldn't even detect a connected camera device at all! (Even though My Computer still listed it as an attached camera device). Really cheesed off now. :rolleyes:

Did some Googling, to find this problem has occurred before, a number of times. Apparently, Panasonic just recommend buying their premium video editing suite from their site, insisting that it will miraculously have all the answers and suddenly work fine.

Some reader suggested just downloading the following program, which is a no BS, straight forward firewire capture utility (no camera control, no editing etc):

http://windv.mourek.cz/download/WinDV-1.2.3.zip

Hosted at: http://windv.mourek.cz/

I followed this instruction and found it works! Just whacked my camera into playback mode, hit play, and voila! Boomshanka!

I'm very confused! This WinDV software is less than 100kb!! And it manages to achieve what Microsoft's software can't, even Panasonic's shipped software!?

I really want to get to the bottom of this! I don't understand why the camera won't communicate.

Are there any specific camera drivers available which would maybe resolve the problem? I don't see anything on panasonic's website.

It's as though Windows can see it ok, but struggles to control and operate it via its built-in/native method of communication.

I have yet to try any other software, like Adobe Premier or Roxio (I hear Pinnacle is good too), but so far, I'm not convinced these will overcome the issue.:suicide:

Hopefully, the answers will soon reveal themselves.:lease:
    vbmenu_register("postmenu_1349918", true);

29. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    elliot_01
    Just taking a wild guess here, but the problem with your camcorder being controlled by software could well be to do with a problem with the timecode recorded onto the tape as you film. Most software that controls the cam relies on the timecode for tape position information, and if your cam is not writing it or writing it incorrectly this could well be the reason.
    Can you borrow a tape recorded on another DV cam and see if that works in your cam for capture? Try capture with device control disabled as well (software dependent).
    Also when filming make sure there are no gaps between scenes as this will cause a gap in the timecode that does cause the capture software problems with tape control.

Mark.

30. sangodkar

sangodkar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic NV-GS15 (Same as GS11 but with SD slot) and face exactly same problem as noted by Scrozuk. I am plugging it to Toahiba Satellite laptop. I tried the connection with GS30 & JVC camcorders. It is still unresolved. The problem does not appear to be on SP2 as my brother's PC has SP2 on XP but it worked there. It could be problem with Imaging device. The imaging device should read "Microsoft DV Camera and VCR". I will try re-installing Xp on my machine to see if it works. In the meantime the link could be of use.
    http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_support.html