Panasonic NV-FJ780B - poor playback

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Barrovian, Dec 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +57
    I've recently bought the above VCR to replace my old Panasonic. Although I'm pleased with the quality of recordings, playback of pre-recorded tapes leaves a lot to be desired. Nearly all of my pre - recorded tapes suffer from what seems to be poor tracking, with noise and 'sparklies' in the lower part of the screen. Adjusting the tracking only makes it worse. Incidentally, the tapes play perfectly on my 8 yr old Matsui. Is it possible that the heads (or whatever?) are mis-aligned, and if so, will it be a simple job to adjust by an engineer? The machine is still under warranty.
    Any suggestions or advice welcome.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I had a similar problem with a NV-FJ710 a couple of years back which showed the same sort of playback defects which looked on the surface like a trackign problem.
    It was replaced with a new unit after two months and that unit developed exactly the same problem a few months later, the problem went away when the casing was removed which the first engineer took to mean an electrical/screening type fault.
    The first enginner tried all sorts of things before they replaced the VCR with a brand new one and the second enginner who repaired the replacment VCR said it was a common fault with that model and fixed it in a few minutes.

I can't for the life of me remember what or if he actually told me what was causing the display problems but the VCR has given me no problems since.
    As you are still under warranty and the tapes play fine on another VCR then make use of the warranty and call them out.

3. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Starburst,
    Thanks for your reply. I think I know what you are referring to, as my previous Panasonic suffered from an earthing fault which caused dot like scrolling interference on SP recordings. Despite 4 different engineers, none could fix it, hence my reason for change.
    I'm beginning to regret it though. The problem I have now with my new deck is not the same. It really does look as though the tracking is knackered. It affects ALL my pre - recorded tapes, and even recordings at any speed seem very grainy, with washed out colours.
    I always thought Panasonic were the best VCR's you could buy these days, now I'm not so sure.
    It's only 10 days old, so don't fancy accepting a repair. What do you think the chances are of John Lewis swapping it?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I am not aware of John Lewis having a bad or awkward reputation when it comes to faulty goods and you might want to check tradings standards as I am sure you are legally entitled to a full refund on faulty goods within a certain time period.

They will probably offer store credit at first which isn't a problem if they stock another make/model you are interested in.

5. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I know this is a bit sad, replying to your own thread, but for anyone interested.. I took Starburst's advice (thanks S.) and took the machine back to John Lewis this morning and they swapped it over without much hassle. New machine appears to be fine. :)

Merry Christmas.