panasonic NV dDX 100 Vs NV-GS 55

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by happychappy, Jul 14, 2004.

1. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi all

In your opinions am I making a mistake by buying the new Panasonic NV-GS 55 dv cam to replace my old NV-DX 100 3ccd cam ?
    the main reason for the change is the size, I came from an old Cannon A2 Hi (massive!) to the NV-DX 100 (a lot smaller!) but now with an active family to contend with I find that I do not use the dv cam very much and thought that a change to a smaller cam would be a good idea as I may take it to more places and actually use it , but my main concern is the quality, is it going to be a big step down in quality terms or hopefully just a sideways move.
    all thoughts will be gratefully received.

2. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    anyone?

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    The only way I can really answer your question is to say 'beg, borrow or steal one and try it and see'. You may notice a big drop in PQ, but then again you may not where others do - its your eyes you have got to convince with the new cam.

Also you have to look at the method of viewing the footage you have got from a cam:
    Will it be viewed on a PC screen or a small TV or a plasma/PJ etc?
    Will it be played from the cam, put onto VHS or DVD?

As I said above, it's down to weather You can see the loss of PQ.
    Also a lot of the new models from Sony have been said to be lower quality than the previous models. This may also be the case with the Panasonic. But also as the technology moves on it (normally) gets better, so a newer single CCD cam could in theory be better than an old 3 CCD cam.

Sorry to throw more questions at you rather than answering your question, but I have hopefully given you a few things to think about before you splash the cash.

Mark.

4. El Indio

El Indio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could consider the new GS120. Small body and 3CCD.

At the end of the day, a camera you use a lot is surely better than a camera you use a little, no matter how the features of the two cameras compare.

5. geewhy5668

geewhy5668

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ive kust bought the nvgs55b and its amazing
    im impressed that it is dv in/out and av in/out
    i had saved my wedding vid onto a dvd+ thru a very poor philips dvdr 800 then the dvdr broke after six months
    i transfered the vob files onto my hard drive and burned them onto a dvd- disc
    i want to edit and author my wedding vid
    so i plugged the nvgs55 into my asda pacific dvd player and recorded the vid onto the camcorder, then i captured it into adobe prem plus 7 and the quality is superb. now i can edit it with background music and transitons then author it and burn onto dvd.
    this litle machine is great the only thing i cant work out is how to get the dv in to work straight from playing dvds on my computer,
    the still camera isnt good and it seems to struggle with indoor video taking but that may be the settings i have it on apart from that for 374 pounds its a steal. go ahead buy it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I have to agree with geewhy5668, its a fantastic little cam for the money. ive had mine since last summer and not had any problems with it.
    the only fault i can find (again, for the money) is the AV in is not a pass through. you have to record to tape first then copy the tape to the pc. i was looking to transfer a lot of Hi8 tapes to my pc and then to dvd but in the end couldnt be bothered doing it through the GS-55.
    Dave.
    :thumbsup:

7. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi all

I thought it manners to bring you up to speed

The story so far:-

Last week I purchased a Panasonic NV-GS55 from Jessops using their price match offer to get a great price, took it home and due to the fact that at the same time I also purchased a new camera did not get to investigate it until yesterday.........ooooh dear! the step down to the NV-GS55 from my
    NV-DX100 was rather like a leap off a cliff! although it is fully loaded with all the latest must haves i.e. dv in+out, analogue in+out, night vision, small size etc I guess I was blinded by the stats after all you only get what you pay for.
    Anyway for me the indoor footage was terrible (grain/noise) in both auto and by playing with the manual settings in comparison with the NV-DX100, so this morning outside to the garden I ventured... not quite as bad but still far from perfect and still no way as good as the trusty old NV-DX100. Whoops what have I done I thought (the actual words I used were slightly stronger than whoops!) I looked at the receipt and catalogue and noticed that they offer a refund/ exchange if not happy with your purchase (check the terms though) so off I went to Jessops to get my refund.
    On arrival I explained the situation to the assistant who suggested that I try the Panasonic NV-GS120 3 ccc cam (he seemed quite happy just to refund me) but suggested that I gave the Panasonic NV-GS120 3ccc a chance. He loaded up a tape (my own one from my previous tests) and we went outside, inside even into a darkened room! to test the cam out, after an hour or two the result.... fantastic! I am so glad that I took his advise as the NV-GS 120 is worth every extra penny that it cost, I suspect that my expectations were too high for the NV-GS55 but the NV-GS120 has addressed these and added valuable extras into the bargain (build quality is certainly better as well)
    The moral of the story is never dismiss other peoples opinions and always buy from a reputable source. I wonder how many other companys would go to such extremes?

Anyway thanks to everybody for replying to this thread ,each piece of advise was helpfull
    :)

8. ALEXANDROS65

ALEXANDROS65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,ITS ALEXANDROS AGAIN.
    DID YOU RECEIVED MY MAIL?
    I BOUGHT NV-GS55 LAST WEEK AND I AM THINKING OF SENDING IT BACK!
    POOR AND GRAINY INDOORS(EVEN AT A 25 inches TV)
    Does it worth it to go for the NV-GS120?
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW
    THANKS AND SORRY IF I AM GETTING ANNOYING
    ALEX

9. Sweddad

Sweddad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is it with the 16:9 format with NV-GS120 ?
    I read that it cut top and bottom (european model), thas it matter ?

Sweddad

10. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi all
    Sorry for the delay in replying I have been on my hols checking out Americas windy city (no NOT Chicago!)

ALEXANDRO

Questions to ask and be answered are what a forum is all about,you are certainly not annoying in any way or form!
    I would whole heartedly say that the NV GS 120 is a definite upgrade to the NV GS55 the quality of the NV GS55 in low light enviroments is not comparable to the NV GS120 the 120 being streets ahead, go on pay the extra and enjoy the true colours! I have lots of tapes to evaluate but will not be able to do this for a couple of weeks at least,but first impressions are very good! I will keep you informed.

SWEDDAD

If I have read the manual correct the 16:9 ratio effect is just that..an effect it is not a true anomorphic picture (I believe the only company going that route is Sony?) all it does is crop the top and bottom of the picture.

hope these comment help
    :)

11. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am looking to upgrade to digital and am seriously thinking about 3ccd as a friends old analogue 3ccd was like chalk and cheese with my existing camera. Other than the Panasonic NV-GS120 what other 3ccd cameras should I consider?

12. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I guess you cant really expect to go to a smaller single chip cam if you needed a 3 chip cam in the first place.
    I find the conveniance of the GS-55 is the selling point for me. i have an old Sony (something) 1000 which is a fantastic hi8 cam but to big to carry around.
    I suppose its the same with digital cameras. i have a small Canon S400 which is very good out doors but not so good inside, also a digital Rebel which has a bigger chip that gives even better results in all conditions but is bigger.
    Just my thoughts
    Dave.