Panasonic NV-DA1 video Camera

Derrick241

Novice Member
Reaction score
Raking around in my loft the other day I found my old video camera, it still works the batteries are still good, found 2 video tapes with stuff on from 1999 (Panasonic NV-DA1 video Camera)

I did what I did when I had my XP PC, plugged the lead into the front of the camera, then into a USB port, set the camera to play, (I have to plug the camera into the charger, then the camera, the plugs aren't accessible when the battery is on)

The PC tried to update the drivers, but failed, so the PC cant see the camera (It is playing the footage on the camera)

I tried to plug it into the TV, using the video lead ad red and white sound leads, it worked I could see and hear the video

I tried again on the PC, but cant use the S video lead or the red and white plugs, they aren't on the PC, there is a small plug on the front of the camera, (I think its called a firewire) then there is a USB plug on the end of that

I just want to copy the tapes to my PC (in any format)

I know PC's have moved on since Win 95 and XP, but the USB plugs are the same on my Win 7 and Win 10 PC's

Anyone any have any suggestions on what I can do next ?

What other leads do I need to buy ? (if any )

I have uploaded pictures of my camera, sockets, and the leads

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 210
Yeah thats a firewire port on the device (what was called iLink by panasonic back then), you can get cheap firewire cards for modern PC's still.

I think that might be the best way to get the video off it, use a video editing package like Adobe or Vegas, select the firewire as the source for the video. Alternate options also are WinDV or HDVSplit to capture the raw DV video then load it into something else for editing.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks, I have tried both of those programs, they both told me that there were no files to upload
I have bought leads from ebay, but they haven't worked either

As next010 said, you need a firewire card in your PC.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Have to see when it arrives where to plug it in though, yes got a spare slot at the back of my PC

Thanks everyone, I have now managed to download the video to my pc, but now I need to put it on several DVD discs

I have tried windows movie maker, it worked sort of but there is nothing the to write it to disc, if there is I couldn’t find it

Is there any free DVD writing software out there that others have used ?

Thanks everyone, I have now managed to download the video to my pc, but now I need to put it on several DVD discs

I have tried windows movie maker, it worked sort of but there is nothing the to write it to disc, if there is I couldn’t find it

Is there any free DVD writing software out there that others have used ?

Yeah Windows movie maker has been retired for some time.

It's been quite a few years since I last used it, but I think it does not have the ability to make DVD's.... not sure on that, it got H.264 MP4 output support but that was at the very end of it's life. For a DVD compliant video you'd need a VIDEO_TS folder output or a disc .iso image to burn to DVD.

There is are a list of DVD authoring tools here, try this free one or this free one which can convert video's into a basic DVD video and burn it to disc.

Imgburn is tool which can burn .iso disc images to disc, the second of those free tools uses it, just be aware Imgburn tries to install a bunch of junk along with it just say no to the extras during the install.

Thanks for your reply

What I am trying to do is compile a video, it has still pictures, fades, titles, videos and music,

I want to join them all up, that makes a video, then write them to a DVD that can be played on a home DVD player

I did that with Movie Maker, but that was all I could do with it, it did save it as a MPEG, I changed it to an AVI in the hope it would write that to a DVD, it didn't, it couldn't find my DVD/C writer (I know its there and working because I used Media Player to make CDs with)

At the moment I have the saved MPEG?AVI sitting on my desktop, just waiting

(Life was a lot easier with XP )

I have a program called InterVideo DVD creator (it’s an old program) but I have the trial version, 30 days, InterVideo DVD creator platinum 2

I have made a movie, but again I can’t get it to write to the CD/DVD drive, it’s supposed to be compatible with Win10 (but I have it in both Win7 and Win10, both have the same problem, can’t see the drive)

Will make a DVD video free,
1) Install AVStoDVD and let it install the extras it asks for like avisynth etc.
2) Install Imgburn but don't let it install its extras.
3) Once AVStoDVD starts click on the green + icon to add a source video like wmv, mp4 etc.
4) Press DVD menu for options in tailoring the menu.
5) Click on the DVD size icon to select the size of your DVD-R.
6) Click on output and if Imgburn is installed you should be able to select burn DVD.

If you do not get a burn option you see if you can select ISO UDF image, this can be loaded into Imgburn manually.

If you want to spend money on something that will just do all of the above easily get ConvertXtoDVD.

..., it did save it as a MPEG, I changed it to an AVI in the hope it would write that to a DVD, ...

At the moment I have the saved MPEG?AVI sitting on my desktop, just waiting

Note that the required format for a properly authored DVD is MPEG2. Nothing else will work.

What is a MPEG2?
How do I convert it to that?
I can’t find anything that can do that

it was so easy with XP

What is a MPEG2?
How do I convert it to that?
I can’t find anything that can do that

it was so easy with XP

MPEG2 is the video format used by DVD's.

If your having difficulty using free software try the trial version of ConvertXToDVD it lasts 7 days, I think that may do the trick.

I looked into it and only one version of Windows from long ago the MCE version could burn DVD no normal version of Windows support making DVD's. You have to use third party software.

I have tried this Convert7to DVD, it’s written it to a DVD but how do I get it to play ?
Only thing I have is this burner on my pc, will it automatically play it ?
I don’t have a dedicated DVD player

Download the free VLC media player.

Once installed you can right click on the DVD drive in explorer and select play DVD if the option is there or start VLC, click on "media" in the menu then select "open disc" and point it at the driver letter of the DVD drive in your PC.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom