1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic MX500 versus GS70B

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by speedy_gonzales, Apr 2, 2003.

1. speedy_gonzales

speedy_gonzales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been seriously thinking of buying a 3 CCD camera for a while and was almost going to purchase the Panny MX500. I then read in a few groups and forums of the poor quality in 'low light' situations. Will the 'coming soon' but cheaper GS70B be in better in 'low light' situations or worse/same.
    My main concern in my new camera will be video recording quality, both indoors and out and don't care too much about all this blue tooth or internet capability. I am about to become a dad for the first time and I really want to capture those 'early years' with a crytal clear recording.

2. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Relax! I've had my MX-500 for two weeks - bought to take pictures of my sprog, just like you!

I've seen other mentions on this forum about bad low light performance but I just cannot understand why. The camera works brilliantly in what I'd consider to be very low light situations(speaking as an experienced SLR user).

If you're main concern is picture quality, then buy an MX-500 right now. The video quality is quite incredible, the stills are superb, and the manual functions let you control everything yourself (if you want to).

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also a MX500 owner. Re the 'low light' rumours. Yes, there are cams that are better in low light. No disputing. But most of these 'rumours' seem to centre around the fact that the 3 CCD's are 1/6in & not the usual 1/4in. But panasonic claim that it has more effective pixels per block, to counteract.
    There's some divvy German chappy publishing still pics on the net taken without the flash (Think about that for a sec) & 'cos the pics are dark, "that means the cam's crap in low light"!:suicide: He's also sending MPEG4's to people to demonstrate how bad the 500 is in low light.:nono:

Anyway, I can only agree with the comments above. The 500 is fine under normal indoor lighting. (there's also a low light mode should you need it) And superb out in the big outdoors. The still pics are also an inprovement on any stills from a camcorder that I've seen anyway. Buy with confidence.

If you're still unsure, just pop down to your local Jessops & see it demoed.