1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Moire problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Silva, Dec 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Could anybody shed some light onto this problem for the 36PB50 and/or 36PL30. Can anybody describe what it looks like and whether it affects the picture so much that it cannot be overlooked?

Thanks for your help

Jon

2. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To see the effect when viewing NTSC material click on the link at the bottom of this message.

It can be very distracting when visible - mainly in darkish scenes but I have also Pasted an earlier post of mine about Panasonics official fix for the problem and my experiences:

In response to the Panasonic moire questions I have had a Panasonic engineer from Bracknell down to fix my NTSC moire problem on my 36PG50 and Panasonics official solution is to go into the service menu and increase the overscan in NTSC mode (V AMP) until the moire it disappears. A very nice guy came to visit my premises and did a geometry setup for me using a pattern generator.

The result was that when viewing NTSC material in 16x9 mode there was no moire evident (horray!). Moire in other picture modes was still there though. But on further viewing after he had gone everything looked really squashed which I ignored this thinking the engineer couldn't have set it wrong until I noticed films not filling the frame in NTSC 16x9 mode when I knew they previously did. Watching R1 Evil Dead showed rough white edges at top and bottom of image I never previously suffered.

I then tried THX setup on my R1 T2 disk and found that NTSC geometry was truely now far too squashed and opening up the V AMP setting ( the engineer kindly showed me how to do this before he left) started to bring the Geometry back to an acceptable size. But...........the moire is now back, just as before!

The engineer did comment that these sets were probably too sharp for there own good and people want to watch NTSC on TV's which really are optimised for PAL viewing. He also offered to defocus the scan beam which I declined. The geometry settings are separate for PAL and NTSC by the way. If anybody has one of these models I would be interested to know your V-AMP and H-AMP settings in NTSC mode just for a comparison.

Nick

http://www.pvr-net.com/baracuda/problem.jpg

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My neighbour had 3 panasonics, each showed the problem.

He declined a fix on each and gave up after the third one and went with a better Sony model.

He seems to be suffering slow pin 8 widescreen switching on that now (but thats another story).

4. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks, but is the moire problem noticable on PAL DVDs or NTSC gaming such as US Playstation2. Thanks