• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic Microwave using 70W all the time

duncanbudd

Established Member
Both my parents microwave and mine - both Panasonic, but different models and vintages - were drawing 70W continuously just to drive the little LED clock. This was measured with an owl meter and also with a plug-in meter from Tchibo. Madness. I turned it off and my bills went down. Simple.

The owl also spotted that my audiophile 8-way mains block was drawing 400W continuously. I found this difficult to believe - it was only mildly warm, but it was also buzzing slightly so maybe the extra energy was dissipating through sound and vibration. Turned that off; bills went down a lot. (It's 6 years old and I think some of the conditioning components need replacing).

I led with the microwave because there are likely to be hundreds of times more of those in circulation than the posh mains block.

Duncan

ad47uk

Established Member
Both my parents microwave and mine - both Panasonic, but different models and vintages - were drawing 70W continuously just to drive the little LED clock. This was measured with an owl meter and also with a plug-in meter from Tchibo. Madness. I turned it off and my bills went down. Simple.

The owl also spotted that my audiophile 8-way mains block was drawing 400W continuously. I found this difficult to believe - it was only mildly warm, but it was also buzzing slightly so maybe the extra energy was dissipating through sound and vibration. Turned that off; bills went down a lot. (It's 6 years old and I think some of the conditioning components need replacing).

I led with the microwave because there are likely to be hundreds of times more of those in circulation than the posh mains block.

Duncan

I have a Swan combination Microwave, I just done a test on it using a power meter and it uses 6 watts on standby. I find it hard to believe that your oven is taking 70watts just to run the clock. My oven is on it's way out I think, a few times if have come up with a error code and it was only on standby. I switched it off for a couple of days, switch it back on and it is ok now, but for how long? I am not going to get another one anyway, well I may get a cheap one at some point, the ones with dials.

robh2002

Established Member

Duncan

Than does sound high. From my measurements, I''d expect less than 10W (in line with ad47uk) for a fluorescent clock display.

At 70W you're paying 32p a day to have that running 24/7, but doing nothing...or over £100 a year! Assuming £0.19/kWhr. We've got a 40W drain on the house when all but the boiler/alarm/clock are on. That's still nearly 20p/day £73...I wouldn't mind but we don't use the alarm...! Must turn it off tonight!

ad47uk

Established Member
Than does sound high. From my measurements, I''d expect less than 10W (in line with ad47uk) for a fluorescent clock display.

At 70W you're paying 32p a day to have that running 24/7, but doing nothing...or over £100 a year! Assuming £0.19/kWhr. We've got a 40W drain on the house when all but the boiler/alarm/clock are on. That's still nearly 20p/day £73...I wouldn't mind but we don't use the alarm...! Must turn it off tonight!

sounds high to me as well.

andykn

Prominent Member

A device drawing 400W of power will produce nearly half as much as much heat as a single bar electric fire. Any energy dissipated in sound or vibration will ulitmately be turned into heat as it hits walls or rubs on the floor and will only represent a small percentage of the energy consumed, most will be heat.

Unless your mains block is nearly half as hot as a one bar fire your owl is faulty. Try it on a 60W light bulb.

fortean

Established Member
Just measured the power consumption of my Panasonic Microwave...

0.31 A or 74 W

....thank you Duncan.

F

freischi

I have bought a Panasonic Microwave NN-SD686S one month ago. My standby power consumption is 78 W !!!
Have used my meter many times with other equipment and it was always spot on.

Has anyone contacted Panasonic yet?

robh2002

Established Member
I have bought a Panasonic Microwave NN-SD686S one month ago. My standby power consumption is 78 W !!!
Have used my meter many times with other equipment and it was always spot on.

Has anyone contacted Panasonic yet?

I have to say these numbers are absolutely obscene. How Panasonic can allow this sort of power consumption is beyond me - I'd be taking the microwave back if I were you. It will be costing over £100 in electricity costs.

If any one contacts Panasonic, can you please post the reply here?

Thanks.

F

freischi

I have spent a few hours yesterday attempting to confirm the 78 Watts drawn in standby as indicated by my portable meter:
I first turned off all electrical appliances and confirmed that no current was drawn on the main power meter of my house.
Then I plugged in the microwave (standby) and worked out the consumption: If was definetly less than 5 Watt!!!:thumbsup:
So the Microwave is fine after all and my portable meter can somehow not cope with this device. It was indicating a power factor of 100%, perhaps it can not work out the power factor of the microwave?

robh2002

Established Member
I have spent a few hours yesterday attempting to confirm the 78 Watts drawn in standby as indicated by my portable meter:
I first turned off all electrical appliances and confirmed that no current was drawn on the main power meter of my house.
Then I plugged in the microwave (standby) and worked out the consumption: If was definetly less than 5 Watt!!!:thumbsup:
So the Microwave is fine after all and my portable meter can somehow not cope with this device. It was indicating a power factor of 100%, perhaps it can not work out the power factor of the microwave?

Phew!

southone

Established Member

Duncan

I would get that checked 70w,s cant be right :lesson:

robh2002

Established Member
Mine uses 13w when its microwaving and under 1w when its doing nothing its a 2 knob one without clock :clap:

I'm sure you don't actually mean 13W when it's cooking food! If your meter actually says 13W - it's broken! It should be more like 500 - 800W - check the label on the back.

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Mine uses 13w when its microwaving and under 1w when its doing nothing its a 2 knob one without clock :clap:

Does it cook the food just using the light bulb inside it?

Surely the drive mechanism that spins the turntable inside it should use at least that, and the bulb at least that again before the microwaves are even generated.

bigtel28

Standard Member
I tested my Panasonic microwave (Clock only) at the weekend using a calibrated meter. Came out at 81.6 watts.
It is now turned off until I need it!

bigtel28

Standard Member
That was 81.6 VA not watts. They are normally the same but not with same devices with high inductor circuits.

Turns out its only 3 watts !!!!!

Panic over!

Last edited:

fortean

Established Member
That was 81.6 VA not watts. They are normally the same but not with same devices with high conductor circuits.

Turns out its only 3 watts !!!!!

Panic over!

Just checked mine again taking in to account the power factor and like bigtel28 found my Panasonic microwave is using only 3 watts.

Not sure if I'm pleased or not since I can't now save £40 a year by switching off the microwave.

jt666

Novice Member

Duncan

You are right our Panasonic microwave used 66W/h while doing nothing
Our Panasonic washing machine uses the same , 1p per hour = £7.00/ month = £84/year and it doesn't even have a display

w0z

Standard Member
You are right our Panasonic microwave used 66W/h while doing nothing
Our Panasonic washing machine uses the same , 1p per hour = £7.00/ month = £84/year and it doesn't even have a display
You're almost certainly measuring out of phase power, most Panasonic microwaves have a terrible power factor, the in-phase power is only a few watts, mine is the same, I've measured both You aren't paying for the out-of-phase power but your electricity generator is.
Think of it this way, imagine your microwave was a 60 W bulb in a box, how hot would it be if on permanently? Your microwave would be cooking the food without having to switch it on. It's not consuming 70W in standby, it may however be reading 70VA.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
^^^ Agreed... Could be 70 VA. Power factor is either inductive or capacitive. Probably the real consumption in under 5watts...that's what you pay for.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom