1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic LCD's series 50 vs 500

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by radpilot, May 29, 2005.

1. radpilot

radpilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder, since both series feature the same specs except for extra connectivity, if someone got a 50's series wouldn't be easy enough to change the connection board (or something like that) at the back with one of the 500's and have an HD ready LCD ? :lease:

2. radpilot

radpilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Im not an expert on lcds but i dont think you can change the boards on them like you can plasmas.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yeah, you're right - non changable.

It's common for the US models to be a lot better. They like to replace HDMI connections with fricking SCART ones over here :mad:

5. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Took delivery of TX26LXD50 on Monday.

Very happy with all aspects of this TV except black levels during night-time viewing.

Gradation of blacks is fine, however, full black not as black as I would have expected.

I had hoped that full black would have been somewhere close to the colour of the screen when the TV is turned off. Is this wishful thinking?

Anyone been able to compare blacks of 50 and 500 series LCDs side by side in dark conditions? Is there a difference, or is the Viera system doing the same job on both?

I'm wondering whether the 500 series has backlight control (the 50 series doesn't, but has a 'CATS' sensor which is claimed to adjust 'certain' picture settings to take account of ambient light; anyone know if this sensor also adjusts the backlight?).

Is the 500 series likely to be better ref depth of blacks - any specs out there that would give a definitive answer?

Dave

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I would expect black levels to be the same between the 50 and 500 series.

So how are you getting on with the Freeview picture?

7. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    From 6 ft away I'm extremely happy with the freeview picture (signal level in my area around 90%).

Get close up and there is the oily water appearance. I've minimised this by ramping up the MPEG filter to max (without apparent degredation of any other aspect of the pictures). As soon as you move away from the screen everything is fine and appears crystal clear.

Slow panning doesn't result in much judder at all (it seems better than the JVC LT26DS6B which I returned earlier this week).

I just want to be 100% sure that black levels on this set are as good as the 500 series.

Dave