1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic LCD to DVD recorder connection

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jerryat, Sep 5, 2005.

1. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this is old hat for you experts but I'm new to all this.

I have a Panasonic (being delivered) TX-32LXD500 set to be connected to a new Panasonic DMR-EH60D dvd recorder. :clap:

I propose using component and audio leads to give what I'm told, will be the best PQ. :)

Question is: The Panasonic system has Q-Link, which is apparently a means for the two units to 'talk' to each other. If I use the leads above, will Q-Link still work, or does this only happen if I use a scart lead? Or do I need both? :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jerry

2. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would be interested to hear others replies to this as well. I have a TX-LXD500 LCD and the DMR-EH60 too. Looking to connect it to a telewest cable box, and have component leads fitted to allow for progressive scan playback of pre-recorded DVDs.

Do you need to have the scart leads and component leads attached to achieve this ( and allow Q-link between the recorder/TV ) ?

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,909
    I think Q-Link only works through the scart........but nothing to stop you using both scart and component.

4. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Xaldub,

I think I have the answer (basically Jaycee's right) after talking to Panasonic's tech people. :clap:

They confirm that using component/audio cables is the best set-up, but in order for the Q-Link to work, you must run a scart cable between the AV1 (TV)scart outlet on the DVD recorder (that's the top scart socket) and the AV2 scart on the LXD500. It must be the AV2 on the TV by the way.

Apparently, this allows the Q-Link to work perfectly and quite separately from the component/audio cable inputs/outputs. :)

Still waiting for delivery of my panel so can't say yet whether it works, but Panasonic (who are remarkably switched on by the way) assure me that's the answer, so I hope it works for us both!! :D

Jaycee, thanks for your help - much appreciated. :smashin:

Cheers Jerry

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,849
    Let us know how you get on with this pairing as I'm very interested in this LCD as well (or maybe the 26" version) :)

6. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jerryat.

Yes it seems to work for me. I have a scart running from the Telewest box into the DVD recorder, and another from the recorder to the LCD. Have also attached the component/audio leads from the DVD recorder to the LCD, and in the "settings" on the DVD recorder set playback to "RGB (with component )" and enabled Progressive Scan mode "ON". I haven't had the time to record anything yet to see if that aspect of the setup works, but pre-recorded DVD playback is spot on. :thumbsup:

7. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi xaldub!

Great news it all works well! As I mentioned, I was very impressed with Panasonic's tech people on both the occasions I spoke to them, so for an A/V dumbo like me, it's a considerable reassurance.

STILL haven't got my panel yet (supposed to have been yesterday :-( ) but, as all this modern stuff is new to me, I'll try your settings first and see how I get on.

Bit off-thread, but I noticed your comments re Helen's 'heating' problem on her EH60D. As I said, mine only gets mildly warm whatever mode it's in or use it gets, so I wonder if her and the other poster's have come from the same batch.

I gonna keep a close eye (or maybe hand!) on mine to make sure it doesn't deteriorate.

God luck with your set-up.

Cheers Jerry

8. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, I replied too early. I had the cablebox connected into AV2 of the recorder and the AV1 of the recorder into the AV1 of the LCD panel. In other words, Q-link wasn't active. According to the manual a DVD recorder with Q-link capabilities should be fitted to AV4. Now, if I switch the scart from AV1 ( from the recorder ) to either AV2 or AV4 of the LCD panel I don't get a picture at all unless the DVD recorder is switched off. Not sure what's going on here .... help !!

9. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi xaldub,

Well this is gonna be the blind leading the blind then, but as I mentioned earlier, Panasonic say the scart lead must go from the AV1 outlet on the dvd to the AV2 socket on the lcd. Don't forget you have to tell the lcd which AV input the dvd is connected to. It's in the set-up menu if I remember correctly.

My lcd arrived this morning, so I've been trying to get things sorted through the day. Everything seems to work ok with the component/audio leads plugged into the relevant sockets, though I'm still not sure whether the Q-Link scart is working properly as I don't know how to check! My good lady bought the scart lead for me yesterday, but it's not a 'fully wired' one. The manual suggests it should be. Ah well, more cash!

I don't know whether any of the above mumblings will help, but I'm afraid I'm still at the 'God, what a fantastic picture' stage and dribbling down my tee-shirt!!

I'll be playing around again tomorrow and if anything of use to you crops up, I'll let you know.

Regards Jerry

10. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I'll be interested to hear how you fare. I know the following setup allows me to record/playback DVDs/watch cable :

Cable STB AV2 ( recorder) -----> AV2 DVD recorder
    AV1 DVD Recorder ------> AV1 LCD TV + Component leads from DVD Recorder to LCD TV ( setting AV1 Out on DVD Recorder to Video with component and enabling progressive scan mode ON )

The only snag with this is that the TV and DVD recorder aren't utilising Q-link ( this isn't a huge problem for me because my freeview signal is presently poor , and I have the cable to watch in any event ). I've tried connecting AV1 Out on the recorder to AV2 of the TV ( the manual actually states that AV4 is the more correct option ) but then I get no picture at all unless the DVD Recorder is switched off ..... there is an interference pattern on screen.

11. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add that it's all probably to do with the settings ( for TV and Recorder ) that determines whether these connections work. I've set the Q-link to AV2 ( which is a given ) but there is also an option for what the AV2 Out signal should be ( from the TV ). I could either set this to "monitor" ( ie. what's showing on screen at the time ), DVB ( what the digital tuner is fixed on ) or AV1 ( if I fit a scart directly from the cablebox to the TV AV1 socket in addition to the connections detailed in previous post ).

This is where it begins to get less obvious though , as the settings on the Recorder are less than intuitive. These settings want an AV1 Out signal ... but what to choose ? You can only choose between RGB, Video with component or S-Video. Now in my original connection plan ( where the DVD Recorder AV1 is attached to the AV1 of the TV ) that is easy ...I choose video with component to get progressive scan mode when playing DVD. But, when I have AV1 attached to the AV2 of the TV I'm using this connection for Q-link ..not for video.

I'm beginning to wonder if Q-link and progressive scan mode can be incorporated in one setup.

12. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are you getting along with the connections Jerryat ?

13. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi xaldub,

Well, I've now fitted the proper (fully wired) scart cable as advised by Panasonic, and everything works fine. I'm still groping my way around both the manuals at the moment, playing with different settings etc, but we're delighted with the set-up.

Difficulty for me in a way, is that we've replaced our 21 year old Hitachi crt for this 'latest tech' gear, so any improvement is going to appear amazing.

However, as I said, at the moment alls ok and we're waiting to try a high quality DVD film to really test the progressive scan function.

I hope, after the huge cost of the component/audio cables, it's gonna be worth it!!

Incidentally, like you, I don't know what 'output' to put in the set-up. I've used 'Monitor' and 'DVB' (and a couple of others) and I can't see any difference. Am I doing something wrong too?

Cheers Jerry

14. xaldub

xaldub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, for now everything appears to be working ok. I have the cablebox ---> AV1 TV, cablebox VCR scart ---> DVD Recorder VCR scart, DVD Recorder AV1 ---> AV2 TV, and of course have attached component/audio cables from the DVD recorder to the TV. I have set Q-link to AV2 ( and chosen the output for AV2 as AV1 .... not sure what this setting does, but it works ! ). On the DVD Recorder's settings I have chosen RGB/Video as the input from the cablebox's AV2 and the output from AV1 as Video( with component). The only thing I need to do now, is get a good quality RF Aerial lead for analogue/freeview TV. Oh, and after much use the DVD Recorder still doesn't feel hot to touch.

15. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi xaldub,

Good to hear all's working well, well done for sorting it out.

Yep, following Helen's post I found myself nipping over to check the temperature every half hour. But the temperature hasn't gone above mildly warm at any time, so I'm relaxed about it now.

Still lots to find out though!

Cheers Jerry