Panasonic LCD or Plasma?

starpoint

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am about to buy and on the basis of "expert" opinion from sales people, I was going to go for LCd ie Panny TX32LXD52. But have now seen Panny Plasma TH37PE5o and am now undecided as the pic was great. Appreciate the LCD is HD ready but I'm not really up for anything better than SD for some time. So which is best Plasma or LCD?

LCD's look good in a shop environment due to the brightness, I saw the new samsungs in a pub tonight and looked pretty good (the ones the 360's are demoed on).
Plasma's are more of a cinema screen, much better at night time. You need to see both in a home setup, but that's easier said than done.

Another vote for plasma (this is a plasma forum)

Plasma.

Pros:

-Look better than LCDs at night
-can do much better with SD-Signals
-Colours are more vibrant

Cons:
-Plasma "needs" the darkness in order to show the full beauty of its colours

In daylight LCDs look fine and you'll be fooled that the blacks are black. A plasma will look almost dull in daylight whereas if you put the both in darkness the image will reverse... ;)

I have a Panasoniv LXD1 LCD 32" and a TH42PE50 Panasonic Plasma. No contest - go Plasma.

Our LCD is 16 months old and has feint black lines and patches now burnt in (no image burn but rather a strange background patchiness) only moticable on fast moving stuff like Football but mot distractingly so. A similar effect occurs on computer LCD screens too. Won't spend £2500 on an LCD again in a hurry. Also LCD isn't as sharp now but still OK though.

Interesting to see state of the plasma in 16 months.

So in a nutshell buy the plasma.

k0rn said:
In daylight LCDs look fine and you'll be fooled that the blacks are black. A plasma will look almost dull in daylight whereas if you put the both in darkness the image will reverse... ;)

I wouldn't quite agree with that, only in very bright light will a plasma look dull. Think of a plasma to be CRT like.

mal600908 said:
I wouldn't quite agree with that, only in very bright light will a plasma look dull. Think of a plasma to be CRT like.

You're probably right... but still the difference is noticable between daylight and night on my PV500.

Plasma.

Daytime viewing is still fine.

I had more daytime issues watching Footy Focus on my old Loewe CRT than I do on my PA50!

having gone through this myself I went for plasma. I am very pleased with the picture quality when viewing terrestial channels and DVD. I looked at LCD and was going to purchase but when I looked at them they were not as good as plasma dealing with the material available today. This may have been due to the set up but if you look at comments on this site and also read reviews of lcd tvs there are always a small number of comments relating to the lcd technology and todays viewing material. Tomorrow that may be different. Depends on what percentage of your viewing in 2006 /7 will be of HD material.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom