1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic LCD dead after 18 months!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Fulham Phil, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of you may recall a thread I put here a few weeks ago about my Panasonic TX15LT2 15" LCD, whereby the picture turned negative and was pretty unwatchable. Well, having thought it might be something simple, I e-mailed Panasonic who kindly wrote back saying that, as the TV was out of warranty (18 months old) I'd have to pay to ship it back to them for a repair at my cost.

Fortunately, I bought the set from John Lewis who, as you may be aware, offer a five year guarantee on televisions and plasmas. The set will be back next week, after a three week absence, having had a completely new panel fitted. I found out what JL are being charged by Panny for this repair - almost £800!!!!!!

Without the JL guarantee, I'd be paying that myself. I suppose the story has two morals:-

1) It still pays to buy from reputable retailers who offer value for money. A saving of a few hundred quid from an e-tailer would look like the world's worst economy right now.

2) LCDs and Plasmas are new technology and things go wrong - but is this acceptable?. It would be inconceivable in any other consumer product for terminal faults to occur within two years of ownership, whether it be the problem I've had, dead pixels, ghosting or whatever. Imagine buying a car whose gearbox failed after a year! If you're looking at laying out £5,000 on large plasma, you really should think about the cost of this machine over it's useful life. Does £1,000 per annum sound like good value???? Early adopters beware!

I also think that it's pretty slack of Panasonic not to support such a critical failing in such an expensive (£1,500 when I bought it) piece of kit.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Not worth it in your case, but if there's no extended warranty one should definitely get advice from the local C.A.B. office, or even a solicitor. I believe it's been established in at least one test case that for a TV costing £1500 to fail to the point of unusability within 18 months means that it was not "of reasonable quality and fit for the purpose" under the terms of the Sale Of Goods Act, which in turn means that Panasonic would be legally obliged to replace it free of charge (with a reconditioned model rather than a new one, probably) regardless of the fact that they said it was guaranteed for only 12 months.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What's the address for John Lewis and it's 5 year guarantee?

4. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine from JL High Wycombe, though there are stores all over the country. They trade under different names (like Peter Jones in London and George Henry Lee in Liverpool) although all under the John Lewis Partnership banner. I don't know where your nearest shop is, but you should be able to find out from their website, which I think is just Johnlewis.com. I think, however, that the 5 year guarantee doesn't apply to TVs bought from their website, only from stores - you'll have to check terms and condtions.

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's great,thanks for the speedy response!

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Pretty poor experience of Panasonic, saved by John Lewis. Glad for you that you did what you did.

The thing I find interesting, is that, if this had been sold as a PC monitor, it would likely have come with a 3 year warranty. But, as a consumer item, only 12 months.

Curious, that.........

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My nearest store is Nottingham.

I've e-mailed them to see whether they have Hitachi Plasmas and price match the Internet with a free 5 year warranty and deliver to Leicester.

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sounds like every Alfa i've ever known!!!!!
    (and I still own one:zonked: )

9. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You buy Alfas. You must be a glutton for punishment. Next thing you'll be admitting to owning A Kenwood Dolby PL all in one system

And anyway, I've heard Ken Wood'nt:D

10. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    They've got the 32PD3000 on display in the Nottingham JL. I don't believe they price-match Internet prices unless the retailer has a shop, and even then some people have more success than others?!

11. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good grief Phil, that doesn't seem acceptable to me considering the repair cost! :eek:
    Even though your covered through JL, I'd certainly write a letter to Head of Panasonic Consumer Europe to see what they say on the matter.

Does this one year warranty apply to their consumer Plasmas too? Is it different for the 'commercial' models?
    Glad I don't see too many 'problem' plasma posts after people have used them for a while.

Rick....on the Plasma verge.
    (Still loving his reliable GTV :clap: )

12. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot promise that my info here is correct but, i think that under European Law all electrical goods are actually supposed to have 2 years Manufacturer warranty regardless.

The only reason i say this is that i bought my XBox on the first day of its launch 16-18 months aga, and recently it went pair shaped.
    I phoned Microsoft all tooled up and ready for an argument, as all there documentation etc said one year, and after a very easy acceptance they said, unfortunately (puh) by law all electrical goods are to be covered within the EEC for 2 years, but, that Microsoft were fighting the case in court because it is costing them a fortune.

I have been wondering about this since then and have looked into a bit, but confirmation from someone who knows would be good!!!!!

13. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How much was it and do they do it with a free 5 year warranty?

14. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    £2499 and yes I think it did have the 5 year warranty included. :)

15. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ooops,sorry,wanted the price of the 42in.

Thanks anyway.

;)

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    JL do the 42" hitachi 3000 £3500.I have sent you a pm.

17. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awww thats a shame. You should have told them if they built a quality product in the first place it wouldn't be costing them a fortune in repairs.

18. raqman

raqman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Internet retailers are excellent, I went to JL and their prices are astronomical, so even if they give a 5 year guarantee, they were selling the PAnny 5 for 4'700 when online retailers were offeringing it for 3k.
    Its thanks to online retailers, that prices have dropped and there is more competition. More importantly, I can straight away see what a right price for a product is by checking out kelkoo.
    I must have saved a fortune by buying my DVD's from Play.com.

All my kit has come from online retailers, and when I had a problem with my SW of my mission FS1, QED sent their technician to my house to sort it out.

I got my Panny 6 from www.av-sales.co.uk and a chap called Liam gave me more help then any of these sales reps from department stores.

If you really want a "5" year warranty, you might aswell get the cheapest price you can from these onlie lads and take out a seperate insurance.

IMHO

19. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,810
    So why didn't you just get JL to price match an online retailer,saving £ and getting a 5year warrenty?

20. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    JL will not match online retailers unless they have a normal shop to purchase from.
    Some online retailers with shop fronts have different prices in the shop to on-line.

Also JL insist on not selling the panasonic plasmas without tuner, so increasing the price further. And many of us have no need for a very poor tuner (IMO).

Steve