Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic LCD 22" vs Sharp LCD 22"

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by wdwmagic, Apr 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. wdwmagic

wdwmagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Does anyone have any opinions of the Panasonic LCD 22" vs theSharp LCD 22" ? I am having trouble finding a demo of both units.

Thanks

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Panasonic - IMHO a better design/style. Has better contrast (subjectively) because they have a clever system whereby the brightness of the backlight is reduced when the picture is overall very dark.

Sharp - much, much better viewing angle than the Panasonic. The Panasonic needs to be watched (in the vertical plane) more or less straight on. The Sharp can be watched from 70+ degrees above or below without any deterioration of the picture.

Both of the above have relatively low resolution panels - 848*480 pixels.

Consider also the Samsung LW22A13. This has a wide viewing angle both ways, and a much higher resolution panel (1280*720). It is also cheaper (GBP1195 from Unbeatable). Styling is on a par with the Panny (IMO). Web information on this set is hard to find. However, if you can follow a bit of French, look here....

http://www.mediterranee-electronic....uits&espace=det_prod&prod_id=147&sous_cat=266

and my brief review of mine is here....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77492

3. Roger

Roger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel

I viewed the Samsung LW22A13 in Selfridges but as they wanted £1499 for it and didn’t seem to know much (anything!) about spec or connections etc I just jotted down the model no. and left.

I agree about the wide viewing angle (when I view LCD screens I sometimes get some funny looks when I move up and down to check I can still see the screen ok).

If used mainly as a tv (via Labgear SetPal Freeview box) does the higher resolution produce a better picture than a lower resolution disply bearing in mind the fixed Pal TV 625 line output?

Did you view the LG MW-30LZ10, Samsung LW-29A1 or LW-24R1 and how do they compare with other offerings?

As with other screens such as Panasonic and Sharp I don’t like the all silver finish and keep hoping to see some of these screens offered in an alternative finish, preferably black, so I can seriously consider buying one.

Does anyone know when more black (or at least not all silver) LCD screens might become available?

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Seems to be the case elsewhere, too. A web search will find nothing for this in English (hence the French link in my other post) and Unbeatable don't even have a picture on their website. Samsung uk's website doesn't acknowledge its existence. Yet it is clearly a UK product; it came with a UK mains lead that wasn't packaged like an afterthought, and the manual has the usual UK statutory warning about the colours of the cables. I saw my first one in Chesterfield and was taken with it immediately. And, I thought, if I get it and find it is lacking something important, I can use my 'distance selling regulations' rights to send it back for the price of a courier. A risk worth taking for the good price.
    Yes. The other two have only 480 pixels vertically so they are actually degrading the 576 line PAL signal. Given a good scaler/interpolator (and this certainly seems to have one) you get a much smoother and apparently more detailed image.
    Nope. The Samsung LW24R1 is a fairly old model now and the last I saw it, was still quite expensive. As for the others, I was in the market for one this size, no larger, so no.

5. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Personally I think the Sharp is terrible compared to the Panasonic. The Sharp is far to blurry with any movement in my opinion and colour nowhere near as good the Panasonic.

The Panasonic's picture meanwhile looks far more natural and resembles a CRT TV's picture much more closely. It also looks a hell of a lot better in design.

As for the viewing angle....

Who actually watches their TV from the side?

Certainly not me! :nono:

Regardless of the cost, the only LCD screen I would buy is a Panasonic.

talking about this... Iwas in high-end hi-fi shop Rayleigh the other day while they was telling a customer that they only sold the Panasonic because they felt it the only worthwhile choice around. I completely agree! :D

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    I doubt you've seen the Samsung, then.