Panasonic launches first TV sets with PAL prog inputs

Grubert

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, the moment we've all been waiting for: tellies that officially support PAL and NTSC progressive signals!

In October 2002, Panasonic Germany is going to market the TX-32PS20D (D for Deutschland). Not only will it have component inputs (the 32PH40 already had), but it will accept progressive signals.

To see it, go to www.panasonic.de and click on Produkte - Unterhaltungselektronik - TV-Geräte - 16:9 Stereo Breitbild-TV.

Apart from the widescreen the flat Quintrix-F picture, the Progressive Scan technology, in combination with the progressive YUV component input ensures an incomparable image quality for discriminating home cinema aficionados. It is possible to use sources with progressive outputs, which offers a more fluid and realistic movement rendition and sharper contrast.

The 32PH40 already accepts PAL prog scan signal, What HIFI and video reviewed it and tested it in that form, they said it was the best they have seen.

I have just taken delivery of one and I can tell you it rocks !!!
Aint tried it with prog scan yet but the pictured via my 4 year old dvd player using components is breath taking.

I tested the Toshiba 32ZD26 before and it was not as good, but is a lot cheaper, however I think it was worth the extra £300.

Last information I had said that PALprog was disabled on the PH40. Maybe they have re-enabled it?

Does anyone know if there is going to be a 36" version of the PH40?

I want 36" and PS on PAL and NTSC........bit greedy I know...

As far as I know the one What HIFI tested was enabled, they state in there testing that they are not allowed to modifya player or any equiptment b4 test so I assume from that it must have come to them enabled.
When I get my PAL prog scan DVD I will let you know :p

I have not heard of any 36 inch but the idea is a lovely one :rolleyes:

The review is in Septembers issue of the mag..

AL

I don't think What Hi-Fi has reviewed this set yet... If they did then I'm sure it would have got a mention on the awards issue. Anyway it should be interesting to see if they have cured the moiré on this TV... If so then I might have a look at it.

NeoBlade,

I wish they sorted out the moiré too, but the tube is the same as the PG-PL-PK series (good old Quintrix F) so I don't expect any improvement.

Wait and see...

hi

ive had a 32" ph40 for about a month. i bought it on the what hifi review recommendation, i think home entertainment have a review in thier next edition, what video were not too impressed however in their review. i don't know if prog scan on pal is enabled but what i do know is when using gamecube set to 60hz pal output (in particular "rogue squadron") the set switches to prog scan and the picture is simply stunning. My dvd gives a very good picture but this is a sony dvp ns700v thru rgb scart. i think i might have had the moire problem (not sure what it is) but since reconnecting to av4 input the problem has gone. the gc connects to av1 and this is fine. The picture from my pace ondigital box on rgb is excellent depending on the bit rate etc etc. I would say that the rf input picture is not so good so i watch digital most of the time now.:)

Neoblade, why say it aint been reviewed yet when I gave you the issue it was in, which is by the wayin front of me !!! do you like being disagreeable ??
No wonder forums get a bad name.

It did not win the award because it cost that mush more than the Toshiba, I suggest anyone thinking of buying either, should demo them both and make your own mind up.

For the record it IS prog scan enabled I just checked with Panasonic service centre, of course they could be lieing but why would what HIFI do the same...

The more I watch this set the better it becomes, cant wait to get prog scan DVD :D

Neoblade, why say it aint been reviewed yet when I gave you the issue it was in, which is by the wayin front of me !!! do you like being disagreeable ??
No wonder forums get a bad name.

Big_AL007, no need to take it personally. I just gave my views as 8,000 plus other members, including yourself, on this forum. I have never stated (and never will) that I am the last word on anything in the world so don't be so quick to jump the gun. Plus I did not state that the TV was not reviewed, I just said "I don't think". There is a difference and everyone is human after all.

I don't believe I have been totally"disagreeable" on any of my 777 odd posts to this forum. If I was then I'm sure the moderators would let me know. Plus if in any way, shape or form I have acted like some "elitist" who think they know everything there is to know and has never helped anyone on this forum (or elsewhere) then please quote me on it...

Since its the "elitist" that are the ones that often give forums a bad name and that is why I have left other forums in the past. During my time on this forum I haven't encountered any "elitists" but I'm sure they exist and I'm certainly not one of them. If you honestly believe that I've given this forum a bad name then quote me as often as you'd like and back up your points to let everyone on the forum know about it.

Back on topic, on my previous post I mentioned moiré being the stumbling point for me and it still is as Grubert agrees with me and other members who own a Loewe TV.

I haven't at all totally dismissed the TV for its RGB qualities and the potential of PAL and NTSC prog.scan. I've only pointed out one thing and once thats gone I will have another look. As for now I'm quite happy with my current TV and in 3-5 years time I'll be passing it down to my parents, of which by then all mid to top range TVs should support PAL and NTSC prog.scan.

Panasonic have kicked the ball, now its up to the other manufacturers to keep the ball rolling, eliminating any teething problems on the way...

Cant find a decent expalnation of moiré, dont think I am encountering it with the Panasonic as all seems well.

I only changed TV because I got a refund from Sony on a 32DX100 IDTV which done weired things when changing channels. So took the opportunity to "upgrade" to prog scan.
Just need the prog scan DVD now :rolleyes:

PAL Progressive scan?!?
Who cares as long as the lock to full mode problem has not been fixed. So has it?

I'm not going to touch a progressive enabled television if it forces me to watch progressive 4:3 sources in 16:9, what the hell is that all about?

Tell me about it Kamikaze, I'm as sick about the situation as you are! I don't understand why it would be so complex to keep the material in its original aspect ratio...

I know that the Loewe TVs will retain the 4:3 ratio in progressive scan but thats because its running in VGA resolutions. Also by using the service menu you can alter one of the modes I believe to watch things in widescreen... Don't quote me on that because I don't own a Loewe TV but there are numerous threads all about it.

All in all I don't watch anything in progressive scan now unless its in widescreen, which is a serious shame when you've paid good money for the components.

Moiré appears on Panasonic TVs when displaying NTSC material (e.g., region-1 DVDs). Evenly-coloured areas get a pattern of lines that go from the sides of the screen towards the centre, roughly in the shape of a diabolo (the lines are closer together near the centre than on the sides).

To spot it, play a R1-DVD, look for a large expanse of one colour (e.g., a blue sky) and look for any spurious lines.

I don't know if this is clear enough. :)

I sent Panasonic an E-mail a little while ago asking them why this problems is there and if they are going to address in the future? Not surpassingly I got no answer, I don't even think that most Panasonic techsupport people are even aware of the problem and Panasonic and other TV manufacturers don't view this as a big problem that needs to be solved. Perhaps if more people started complaining about it and awareness of the problem was increased the manufacturers would have to solve it.

The funny thing is that the PDP’s suffer from the same problem. And even funnier (or sadder) is the fact that these sets can change aspect ratio on progressive signals they themselves produce via there deinterlacing chips.

Sony NZ told me that the EH36(I guess it's same product as the Sony KV 36FS70 in UK) is capable of receiving PAL progressive.
Then, is EH36 is the first one doing PAL progressive or what? :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom