Panasonic Launch BluRay Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
  2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    ...and here are the details:
    http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5757

Looks good, listed features are:
    - BluRay (RW) Recording to single (25GB) and dual layer disks (50GB)
    - DVD-RAM recording
    - DVD-R recording
    - Digital and analogue tuners

Odds are we will see a UK launch in 2006 when Sky HD launches. Can't come a moment too soon IMHO!

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
  4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I wonder if they will manage to include digital video inputs/outputs on the US and European versions. :rolleyes:

Steve

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Guys will blue ray recorders / players be compatible with the current DVD format ? I mean if I bought a blue ray player when they come out will my current DVD collection work on it ?

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Yes - they do now. Both BluRay recorders (the Sony and Panasonic models) commercially available now support traditional red laser media (DVDs and CDs) and the new blue laser media (BR-RW). The only problem at the moment is there is no 'universal' laser - so devices such as the Panasonic DMR-E700 require one laser for DVDs and one for BR. This bumps up the cost and contributes to the size of the machine. This isn't going to be a problem for long as Sony have already developed a suitable optical head:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=5472
    ...this should be marketed soon.

Additionally - and the whole issue is still up in the air at the moment - but it is quite possible that BluRay will only be a recording format. The all important Hollywood studios are yet to commit in the HD-DVD versus BluRay war. Thus it goes without saying that 'backwards compatibility' of BluRay recorders is ensured.

Expanding upon this it should also be noted that even if BR-ROM does get off the ground then it is unlikely to take over from DVD-Videos. When DVD arrived it brought CD like functionality and a leap in PQ from clunky old VHS. Even though HD content presents the same leap in PQ it is unlikely that 'joe public' will consider the shift important enough to substantially buy into the new format. Thus we will see a slow growth for HD disks and hence the all important DVD compatibility will remain.

Even backwards compatibility with DVDR media is ensured. Panasonic, JVC and Samsung have all proven they can add DVD-RAM read/write whilst Sony have proven DVD-RW. All four companies have successfully added DVD-R recording as well. It will be down to Philips to develop a optical head for a BR and DVD+RW/+R combo optical head.

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Sounds promising - really looking forward to a high def dvd format.

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Although I'm looking forward to dvd blu-ray, I've only just bought a rec dvd player. I can't imagine buying another for at least 5 years. Hopefully by then there will be a reasonable number of hi-def tv shows, pre-recorded blu ray dvds available all at a reasonable price. Personally I won't be opaying £1,500 for the 1st generation of blu-ray players. Gonna need an expansive display to go with it as well. Better start saving if you want all that in 2006.

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Are these the next gen DVD players?

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    There's going to be a 'format war' to decide that! There are two major camps: HD-DVD (Toshiba and NEC) and BluRay (all the other big companies). Both are going to offer recording solutions and ROM solutions. The format Hollywood backs in force will win because Dual format machines aren't regarded as a possibility.

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    You are all assuming that Comet/Dixons shoppers wwill adopt this technology.

It could simply end up as the SACD/DVD Audio of the audio world. No format war because no mass take up.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    They won't get much of a choice. Take BluRay for example: Panasonic have outlined their roadmap that has BluRay recording to be incorporated into the DIGA range - within a matter of a few years all but the most basic DVD recorder will have BluRay recording. Even if nobody want HD then they will go for the increased capacity (almost fives times as much as a normal DVDR). I'm sure Toshiba has a similar roadmap for HD-DVD.

And as DVD recorders are likely to replace most DVD players within the next few years that will ultimately means mass takeup without the requirement for any public interest.

But commercial High Def DVD releases (whether BluRay or HD-DVD) will get a niche market at least (SuperBit DVDs do 'OK' in the sales figures). And Sky HD will prompt more people to explore High Def content; both recorder and pre-recorded.

13. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    In the mean time though there will be widespread adoption of dvd+/-R which will have cheap prices. Even if Panny and tosh try to force adoption of high end formats, the masses will simply go for the cheap imports from elsewhere. DVD players only really took off with supermarkets touting sub £200 players from non major manufacturers when all the key players were selling theirs for £400.

I am the only AV nut amongst my friends, I am the only one with a "branded" DVD player. Most rely on PS2 or £30 RS/Tesco offerings, quality, sound mean nothing! But they are the ones that will decide dominant formats.

by the time HD is cheap enough the dvd will be dominant, and your average joe is price driven, not capacity/quality driven, inmy opinion anyway. Even when sky launch a hd service itll be at a premium for a while. So even with a 2006 launch you are talking about 2008-2010 before its adopted in reasonable numbers, long enough for DVD to become entrenched.

Look at sky plus, thats a better service (HDD), better quality (5.1), I dont see it revolutionising and replacing vanilla sky.

But it will when its a similar price as vanilla and there is no cost to switch

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    I like your viewpoint nunew33 - but nobody is suggesting that DVD +/- is going to fall to HD disks. What I'm suggesting is that HD disks will simply be added to existing recorders. For example the DIGA recorders will remain fully compatible with DVD-RAM/DVD-R as well as BluRay so we are not going to see a switch to HD. More a slow changeover.