Panasonic JZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Hi

You can? I never knew you could. Would the PS5 need to be in Rest Mode though?

Thanks

Barry :)
Go to the app, click on your game library, click on game, click on download

Attachments

• PSN_2022-05-03_14-01-26-741.jpg
    PSN_2022-05-03_14-01-26-741.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 35
  • PSN_2022-05-03_14-00-53-618.jpg
    PSN_2022-05-03_14-00-53-618.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 37
Yep, it needs to be in rest mode or switched on.
Hi

Yes, but that relies on my putting the PlayStation 5 into Rest Mode. With the Xbox Series X, I leave the HDD Switch on in Settings. If I was away from home and the Xbox Series X isn't turned on the game would still install. If my understanding is correct?

You can PM me if you want, so we're no longer derailing the main topic of this thread.

Thanks

Some more thoughts on the PS5 VRR issue. I know some of us here were theorizing that it stems from the PS5 using the HDMI forum VRR standard, and not AMD's Freesync like the Xbox. But in Vincent's video review of the JZ980, we can see that he's feeding the TV a 120hz VRR signal:

1651583151822.png

@BarryMcKelvey your TV displays 'FreeSync Premium' and not 'VRR' when you press the info button on a 120hz VRR signal from your Xbox, right? If we can surmise that FreeSync signals are labelled as such, then that means Vincent able to feed the TV a 120hz HDMI forum VRR signal. Which could be proof of the Playstation being at fault, not the TV.

Last edited:
Some more thoughts on the VRR issue. I know some of us here were theorizing that it stems from the PS5 using the HDMI forum VRR standard, and not AMD's Freesync like the Xbox. But in Vincent's video review of the JZ980, we can see that he's feeding the TV a 120hz VRR signal:

View attachment 1691600

[B]@BarryMcKelvey your TV displays 'FreeSync Premium' and not 'VRR' when you press the info button on a 120hz VRR signal from your Xbox, right?[/B] If we can surmise that FreeSync signals are labelled as such, then that means Vincent able to feed the TV a 120hz HDMI forum VRR signal. Which could be proof of the Playstation being at fault, not the TV.
Hi

Yes that's correct :)

Thanks

Hi

Yes, but that relies on my putting the PlayStation 5 into Rest Mode. With the Xbox Series X, I leave the HDD Switch on in Settings. If I was away from home and the Xbox Series X isn't turned on the game would still install. If my understanding is correct?

You can PM me if you want, so we're no longer derailing the main topic of this thread.

Thanks

Yes, but I imagine leaving just the HDD switched on on the Xbox is akin to leaving the PS5 in rest mode. The Xbox is not just keeping the HDD on, but also staying on in a very low power mode. It needs its networking hardware powered on to intercept messages from Microsoft's servers (like you downloading a game from the app) and needs the CPU on (albeit probably in a very lower power state) to unpack and install the downloaded game. 'Rest mode' and 'HDD on' are probably very similar in terms of power draw, if that's your concern. And you can disable extra power drawing features like power to the USB ports in rest mode on the PS5, if you so desire.

Some more thoughts on the PS5 VRR issue. I know some of us here were theorizing that it stems from the PS5 using the HDMI forum VRR standard, and not AMD's Freesync like the Xbox. But in Vincent's video review of the JZ980, we can see that he's feeding the TV a 120hz VRR signal:

View attachment 1691600

@BarryMcKelvey your TV displays 'FreeSync Premium' and not 'VRR' when you press the info button on a 120hz VRR signal from your Xbox, right? If we can surmise that FreeSync signals are labelled as such, then that means Vincent able to feed the TV a 120hz HDMI forum VRR signal. Which could be proof of the Playstation being at fault, not the TV.
Vincent has a PC that does 4K 120. I assume that's what he's used to display that pattern. Unless its from a signal generator.

Vincent has a PC that does 4K 120. I assume that's what he's used to display that pattern. Unless its from a signal generator.
Yes, exactly. He's probably using the PC with the Nvidia 3XXX series graphics card he's shown in some of his other videos. Those cards support Nvidia's own proprietary VRR implementation, G-sync, and fall back on HDMI forum standard VRR if the display does not support G-sync. Our Panasonic TVs do not support G-sync.

Thus we can assume that the TV can accept a 120hz HDMI forum VRR signal, because my screenshot shows it doing so from Vincent's Nvidia graphics card. The leading theory before was that these TV can only accept a 120hz Freesync signal, which is what the Xbox Series X uses. Freesync is AMD's own proprietary implementation of VRR which Sony is not using, opting to use the HDMI forum standard instead.

That's why I'm now thinking it's a Playstation issue rather than a Panasonic one.

Yes, exactly. He's probably using the PC with the Nvidia 3XXX series graphics card he's shown in some of his other videos. Those cards support Nvidia's own proprietary VRR implementation, G-sync, and fall back on HDMI forum standard VRR if the display does not support G-sync. Our Panasonic TVs do not support G-sync.

Thus we can assume that the TV can accept a 120hz HDMI forum VRR signal, because my screenshot shows it doing so from Vincent's Nvidia graphics card. The leading theory before was that these TV can only accept a 120hz Freesync signal, which is what the Xbox Series X uses. Freesync is AMD's own proprietary implementation of VRR which Sony is not using, opting to use the HDMI forum standard instead.

That's why I'm now thinking it's a Playstation issue rather than a Panasonic one.
But why are other TVs with presumably the same or similar chipset not limited to 60Hz? Or at least I have not heard anything like it.
Assuming that the 2022 models are using the same chipset, and the gaming-oriented marketing Panasonic is doing, they really have to fix this problem. Otherwise, even if it is not the end of the world, they will loose access to the gaming market.

Last edited:

If it’s a problem with forum vrr , surely it could be either Sony or pansonic at fault (or maybe even both ?).

I can’t think of any other forum vrr devices so maybe pansonic didn’t have anything to test forum vrr with - they just assumed since the other vrr standards work , forum vrr would work too.

Unless there’s something wrong between the PS5 and the specific meditek model Panasonic use (as far as I’m aware sony use a different mediatek model ) , can’t see why the problem seems more specific to pansonic TVs .

But why are other TVs with presumably the same or similar chipset not limited to 60Hz? Or at least I have not heard anything like it.
Assuming that the 2022 models are using the same chipset, and the gaming-oriented marketing Panasonic is doing, they really have to fix this problem. Otherwise, even if it is not the end of the world, they will loose access to the gaming market.
If I've understood what I've read elsewhere correctly, although the 2021 Panasonic range have HDMI 2.1 on-board, they opt for Freesync first for VRR and there's no way to disable it.

And despite using an AMD processor, Sony have opted to use the HDMI 2.1 standard version of VRR.

The curse of HDMI 2.1, and its widely fudged implementation by literally every manufacturer, strikes again.

If it’s a problem with forum vrr , surely it could be either Sony or pansonic at fault (or maybe even both ?).

I can’t think of any other forum vrr devices so maybe pansonic didn’t have anything to test forum vrr with - they just assumed since the other vrr standards work , forum vrr would work too.

Unless there’s something wrong between the PS5 and the specific meditek model Panasonic use (as far as I’m aware sony use a different mediatek model ) , can’t see why the problem seems more specific to pansonic TVs .
Honestly, it is such a complicated issue, it doesn't appear straight forward.

You can get fixed 120Hz from Dirt 5 without issue. It would appear you can get VRR from 48-60Hz without issue.

What you can't get is from 48-120hz VRR (scratches head). Apparently, the X-Box does 20-120Hz VRR.

What improvements would VRR @ 120hz give please, is it better picture quality or reduced judder/tearing?

If I've understood what I've read elsewhere correctly, although the 2021 Panasonic range have HDMI 2.1 on-board, they opt for Freesync first for VRR and there's no way to disable it.

And despite using an AMD processor, Sony have opted to use the HDMI 2.1 standard version of VRR.

The curse of HDMI 2.1, and its widely fudged implementation by literally every manufacturer, strikes again.
Hi

Just out of curiousity, could Panasonic issue a Firmware Update to Disable Freesync, so that VRR could work properly with the PS5. Or is that just simply something Panasonic can't or won't do?

Thanks in Advance

Honestly, it is such a complicated issue, it doesn't appear straight forward.

You can get fixed 120Hz from Dirt 5 without issue. It would appear you can get VRR from 48-60Hz without issue.

What you can't get is from 48-120hz VRR (scratches head). Apparently, the X-Box does 20-120Hz VRR.
Hi

How are you getting 120Hz Fixed VRR with Dirt 5, if the PS5 will only allow 48 - 60Hz VRR?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
What improvements would VRR @ 120hz give please, is it better picture quality or reduced judder/tearing?

It reduces judder and screen tearing.

It often runs the risk of decreasing brightness but from my understanding this hasn’t been the case for the PS5’s VRR. It also seems some developers like insomniac are using the ps5’s VRR as a way to unlock frame rates in supported games (which isn’t really what VRR is meant to do).

If I didn’t have a “TV-free” lounge and a whole bunch of content I’ve been delaying to use on an oled , I would have just tried to wait out the storm and hope that 2023-2024 would give us flawless vrr … but fate has other plans for me .. for better or worse 😂

If I didn’t have a “TV-free” lounge and a whole bunch of content I’ve been delaying to use on an oled , I would have just tried to wait out the storm and hope that 2023-2024 would give us flawless vrr … but fate has other plans for me .. for better or worse 😂
2023-24?! I’ll be sniffing around the new models that year to buy again!

Hi

I got my Panasonic TX65JZ2000B towards the end of last year, it will have to last me a good 10 years before I can upgrade lol.

Hi

I got my Panasonic TX65JZ2000B towards the end of last year, it will have to last me a good 10 years before I can upgrade lol.

Fingers crossed that is the case .

My Samsung plasma lasted me about 10-15 years . For me every tv regardless of brand , tech , budget- should last ten years given that my ancient Samsung was able to that .

Hopefully our oleds will last at least that long 😂 🤞

May I ask why? Hopefully your JZ2000 should last long enough until microled comes into the market (at a price that’s as good or better then these first gen QD OLEDs) ?

Our expectations when buying TV's can be the same as when buying carpets, we want them to be able to give us at least 10 - 15 years use, even though we know we will probably change them after 5 or 6 years :)

That's a good point. I have no idea, none of us really know for sure. It could be that the chipset in the JZ series is different enough from the rest that it introduced this issue on the Panasonics only. Vincent did speculate that the different chipset used in Panasonic's 2021 OLEDs could be one of the reasons Panasonic were able to pull off full-resolution 120hz VRR on this set when Sony and Phillips could not.

Yes, it could be a combination of both. After all, these are the same Panasonic sets that can't accept a 60hz HDR signal from the PS5 with out tearing/micro-stutter unless VRR is enabled, and that was the case before last week when the PS5 didn't even support VRR. So far, Panasonic don't have the best track record on testing thoroughly with the PS5.

Reduced judder/tearing for games that already support 120Hz but don't consistently hit that target, yes. But more interestingly, the potential for games to previously capped at 60Hz to run at higher frame rates than that. Console games capped at 60FPS often have the headroom to run well above 60FPS, but are capped there to achieve a solid and consistent frame rate. Spider-Man Remastered, Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank, for example, have all been updated to detect when 120Hz/VRR is enabled on the PS5/display and remove the 60FPS cap in those games' performance modes. They can now run at higher (but more unstable) frame rates above 60FPS up to and including 120FPS, because thanks to VRR, the fluctuating frame rates don't case stutter. Your TV would only draw a new frame when the PS5 says it's ready to deliver one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom