Panasonic JZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Hoping to learn of any settings needed in advance of getting my JZ2000, I will be using with Sky Q as our main feed and with an Xbox Series X for occasional gaming. We currently use the Sky Q box for watching Netflix, Disney+ & Amazon Video but I understand getting an Apple TV 4K box will give me better use of these apps?

So when connecting the Sky Q & Xbox to the JZ2000 via HDMI, are there any sound & picture setting adjustments I'll need to make on the devices for best results?
If you're using a receiver, via ATV you possibly have the benefit of lossless audio from apps, as well as Atmos from the Disney+ app (currently unavailable via the TV's built-in app).

Otherwise, I am unaware of any other benefit over the TV's built-in apps.

I wouldn't dream of using any apps via Sky Q (and don't). That would only serve to give you the worst possible experience, both visually and audibly.

When I turned my JZ2000 on for the first time, I switched every input to the 'filmmaker' preset, disabled the ambient sensor and adjusted the luminance level to suit our viewing area and that's it. I don't feel the need, nor urge, to tinker, it is a perfect picture.

No, it is an excellent picture. Colour and picture accurate. Enjoy!

Last edited:
If you're using a receiver, via ATV you possibly have the benefit of lossless audio from apps, as well as Atmos from the Disney+ app (currently unavailable via the TV's built-in app).

Otherwise, I am unaware of any other benefit over the TV's built-in apps.

I wouldn't dream of using any apps via Sky Q (and don't). That would only serve to give you the worst possible experience, both visually and audibly.

When I turned my JZ2000 on for the first time, I switched every input to the 'filmmaker' preset, disabled the ambient sensor and adjusted the luminance level to suit our viewing area and that's it. I don't feel the need, nor urge, to tinker, it is a perfect picture.

No, it is an excellent picture. Colour and picture accurate. Enjoy!
Thanks, no Im not using a receiver. So best to just use the TV's built in apps for Netflix etc and not bother with ATV?

How would you expect every day TV viewing picture quality to look via Sky Q?

Thanks, saves me a bit of ££ too :)

I just thought of something @WarHog , if you've already had Apple TV and made purchases by it, they won't be accessible to you unless you use your ATV box as the Apple TV app isn't available via Panasonic TVs (yet).

Something that only just occurred to me, sorry to mislead you.

However, if you've only ever used it for the apps, I would personally use the TV's built-in apps in order to benefit from the content available in 4K Ultra HD and HDR.

Sony A90J best TV 2021 overall
Panasonic JZ2000 best Home Cinema TV

As much as I love my X95J , Sony haven’t done enough to win my loyalty to buy another Sony tv.
Hoping to learn of any settings needed in advance of getting my JZ2000, I will be using with Sky Q as our main feed and with an Xbox Series X for occasional gaming. We currently use the Sky Q box for watching Netflix, Disney+ & Amazon Video but I understand getting an Apple TV 4K box will give me better use of these apps?

So when connecting the Sky Q & Xbox to the JZ2000 via HDMI, are there any sound & picture setting adjustments I'll need to make on the devices for best results?
someone else can answer most of that better but I definitely recommend against using the sky q apps (like Netflix or Disney +).

You won’t be getting hdr or Dolby which is what makes TVs like these really stand out .

Either use the native apps or invest in a streamer (like the Apple TV you mentioned or even something cheaper like a Roku ultra ).

I just thought of something @WarHog , if you've already had Apple TV and made purchases by it, they won't be accessible to you unless you use your ATV box as the Apple TV app isn't available via Panasonic TVs (yet).

Something that only just occurred to me, sorry to mislead you.

However, if you've only ever used it for the apps, I would personally use the TV's built-in apps in order to benefit from the content available in 4K Ultra HD and HDR.

No, I haven't made any purchases in ATV, but thanks for the info :)

I'm having a strange problem with my 65JZ2000 where picture menu items from what looks like a LCD TV appear in with my usual items I'll also get two motion sub menus. At first I though just a novelty as they usually disappear by themself. Now I'm seeing that after they have appeared and gone away again my calibration setting done by Calman for Panasonic autocal disappear as well.

So far I've calibrated Pro 1 and Pro 2 for SDR and HDR. One each of those had disappeared yesterday evening. That's now meaning I'll have to redo at the cost of 4 odd hours of time to be spent.

Has anyone else had the mashed up menus? or disappearing calibration? Obviously for me it's just wasted time. But if having a pro calibration it's potentially a lot of wasted money.

Not sure if we’re allowed to link to other threads but I’d be interested if any of you JZ1500-2000 owners who use a ps5 can relate to the problems in this thread ;JZ2000 + PlayStation 5: Flicker @ 4k 60Hz HDR RGB

As a prospective buyer , who’s looking at a tv for a gaming set up , it’s a tad concerning I can’t lie 😂.

Most the people I’ve spoken to are happy with the gaming performance of their Panasonic JZ2000, so hopefully the two facing this problem is a one off. I’d still like to find out if anyone here can relate to it just in case …

Hi All,

today I want to share my newest experience about the 65JZW2004. As I explained in mid of August time frame my new 65JZW2004 has relevant jerks and flickering especially at fast moving movies but with slow moving pictures as well.

First of all I experienced the first time with a big panel a kind if break in period. But yes this OLED developed over the time significantly. Especially the colours has made great development. And the quiet picture presentation improving as well. Over a time of 1000h I have decreased the colour intense regulation by 5-7 points and I have a the most realistic colours I ever seen on a TV now. That is one of most strength of Panas displays for me over all those natural colours.

But now to that annoying jerks, flicker and unsteadily moving scenes on this screen that let me doubt of that JZ2000 in the first months of use. Exactly at 1000h of use the first screen maintanance started automatically. This was some days ago at my panel. It is programmed so that it started anywhere in the night. It runs about 80 minutes and was reported at first power on next day.

After this first screen maintanace I was really surprised what I have seen the next day. Colours are again more naturally than it was before. The quiet picture presentation has reference level for me now. Sharpness and many more parameters are really at a level that was not seen out of the box.

But the most important point for me after that automatic maintance was the missing jerks and moving artefacts from this moment on. As several people reported before the FI has significantly influence to those heavily moving artefacts. They recommend to use user FI with BLUR = 0 and Film smooth = 1. I use that set up for FI as well until now because it was the best compromise. I accept the jerks in the moving picture as it is because higher values in the FI does not work better.

But after that maintance I make a new experience. Because the screen rest is so good from that moment on I tried out to go up slightly with BLUR to 1 and Film smooth to 4. And WOW ... the moving picture is much more "analog" now without showing significantly jerks and other artefacts through the FI regulation. This is a significant improvment for this display for me like a new electronic "trick" they built in. It so significantly that "fast playing movies" are a really pleasure now.

NOW ... this Panasionic is for me the best TV I have ever owned.

Only the "sound issue" is not gone completely as I described in August time frame. I have found a set up with my subwoofer and the user sound menu that hide this issue as best but if I play louder there is still a little resonance. I already opened the back side panel to have a look if there is a screw not fixed properly or any glue is missing to fix especially the bass drivers. But no they have mounted everything secure and properly. I think if the two small (different) woofers in the JZ2000 are playing with too much power there will be a resonance with the plastic back side panel of the TV.

I try to fix the back panel better and the bad resonance improved a bit but it never gone away completely. To improve more I use the equalizer in lower frequencies with -2dB to -4dB and increase the crossover frequency (TV side) to around 140Hz. In parallel I increase the subwoofer crossover frequency to 100-110Hz. But that means you need to use a sub that is able to play into the midrange bass frequencies widely. A good choice should be a sw derivat with long membrane moving. (Excuse my lousy English language.) But it is as it is and it works outstanding better in that way and you can play relatively loud with those little tiny built in drivers.

Hope I can help anyone with my experiences and maybe other users can describe there experience especially after the first screen maintance which is at 1000h of use.

Have a nice evening,
Jürgen

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone recommend any great sellers of the JZ2000 - preferably with a black friday deal and 5 or more years warranty?

I've discovered an anomaly

when using DV IQ via Netflix, I know some settings are greyed out but, others that aren't, I've disabled for picture accuracy but, as soon as you stop watching or switch titles, they're enabled again.

I've tried to save the settings and the TV won't do it. It keeps enabling settings that are detrimental to the PQ such as Noise Reduction and MPEG Remaster:mad:.

Here are some basic settings/things to check that should reduce the risk of 'screen burn'. I have the GZ, but I would imagine the JZ settings are similar, if not identical...
  • Turn Pixel Orbiter on
  • Set Logo Luminance control to Max
  • Set Panel Maintenance Message to On, so you get a warning when the major cycle is about to run (you get 30 seconds to postpone it if timing isn't convenient)
  • Ensure regular (4 hour) and major (1000 hour) panel maintenance cycles run properly (undisturbed) when TV is put into standby
Check! Got all those sorted now, thanks I appreciate the help. Feel a bit lost with all the settings. With the big and regular cycles I've got it on permanent standby anyway so should be fine. By undisturbed I assume you mean not pulling the plug, what happens if I turn the TV back on while the LED is orange, would that be bad?
In addition to that, I would try not to spend too much time browsing the menus or pausing content in the YouTube and Netflix apps due to their bright red logos and progress bars. Being able to 'cast' from the YouTube phone app to the TV is a great feature, because it allows you to browse the menu on your phone instead.

Luckily for me, neither myself or my family members have any interest in watching GMB (with it's problematic logo) or watching live news channels with scrolling banners for hours, as programs/channels of this type have been known to cause issues in the past.
Noted, I don't watch any broadcast TV at all. I'll try to get into the casting mentality with youtube too.
I also avoid overly bright picture modes/settings when watching SDR material - I mainly use the Pro 2 picture mode with a modest Luminance level of 30 and the occasional switch to Pro 1 which is set at 45. These levels may not be high enough for you if you have a bright room and/or watch TV during the day, but I do most of my viewing in a dimly lit room in the evenings so those modes/settings are fine for my environment and ones I would choose regardless of any potential screen-burn risks anyway.
I watch in a dark room mainly so lower luminance will likely be fine I just wasn't sure how to set it having never had the option before. I think SDR is at 35 currently.
I leave the default (maxed out) settings for HDR unchanged, because static content isn't generally a problem with HDR movies / TV series and lowering these would reduce the HDR effect.
So (I might have already asked this) all HDR presets (DV Dark, HDR10 etc) should be maxed out Luminance Level and Contrast? I feel a bit like I'm getting a suntan sometimes :laugh: I mean it looks stunning but, wow, my eyes! I think I might have changed some of the inputs in my misunderstanding.
I'm not sure. The floating 'OLED' screensaver has been a feature on Panasonic OLEDs for a while now and there are no options to turn it on or off that I'm aware of. If you want to confirm that it's still present on the JZs, then try pausing one of the TV's apps and it should kick in after a few minutes of inactivity.
You're right, I had a nervous few minutes with a paused youtube video and it came on. So that's automatic only? Shame it's internal apps only, I've just been putting the My Scenery thing on if it's a short pause or turning the TV off altogether if it's longer so far.

Despite being an ex-plasma owner for around 8 years or so, that's a new one on me ! If anything, I'm under the impression that the opposite is true for OLEDs - that heat actually increases the chances of premature pixel wear, hence the heatsink Panasonic build into their (brighter) JZ2000 models. If you're interested in finding out more, this part of the HDTVTest video review of the GZ20000 shows temporary image retention disappearing quicker on a GZ2000 than a competing model and this was put down (in part, at least) to the heatsink present in the 2000 series OLEDs.
:laugh: maybe I've been fed a load of bull then. I'm sure there is some truth behind it though, on my VT65 plasma when I turned it on if I booted the Xbox I could see the huge "XBOX" loading screen logo faintly showing on the screen for a good few minutes of use but once the TV had been on a while it wouldn't happen at all, I could boot the Xbox again and no IR. I never got anything permanent on plasma so I'm hopeful I'll be ok on OLED too.
My take on it is this - with plasmas, you often stood a chance at removing any temporary image retention if you spotted it before it became permanent and took action by changing your content for a while, whereas the OLED 'screen burn' issues you often see talked about on these forums tend to be permanent because the pixels have simply worn out - so by the time it starts to appear on an OLED, it's not possible to remove it or remove/reduce the effect.
This is what I think I don't fully understand, is it only static images that can cause cumulative "burn"? Say for example you watched a TV show that tended to have an overly red/pink vibe to it like the Graham Norton show with big red and pink backgrounds, red sofa etc etc and you watched that every week for the TV's entire existence would that wear the pixels or is it purely static logos like channel logos and game HUD's etc and "moving" content is less of an issue?
An instant 'screensaver' button would be a fantastic feature to add to the remote !
Maybe that's the idea of this My Scenery thing, it is just a button press and takes you back to your previous content on it. It dims down after a while too, manual says it dims it to prevent burn in though.
I've discovered an anomaly

when using DV IQ via Netflix, I know some settings are greyed out but, others that aren't, I've disabled for picture accuracy but, as soon as you stop watching or switch titles, they're enabled again.

I've tried to save the settings and the TV won't do it. It keeps enabling settings that are detrimental to the PQ such as Noise Reduction and MPEG Remaster:mad:.
Did you try Netflix Calibrated mode? Netflix defaulted to that for me. Looked ok but I felt like the skin tones were slightly off and I ended up using DV Dark at it's default settings (I think anyway, struggling to keep track of what I've changed where now :eek:).

Excuse the long post, not had chance to catch up on the thread for a while.

Not sure if we’re allowed to link to other threads but I’d be interested if any of you JZ1500-2000 owners who use a ps5 can relate to the problems in this thread ;JZ2000 + PlayStation 5: Flicker @ 4k 60Hz HDR RGB

As a prospective buyer , who’s looking at a tv for a gaming set up , it’s a tad concerning I can’t lie 😂.

Most the people I’ve spoken to are happy with the gaming performance of their Panasonic JZ2000, so hopefully the two facing this problem is a one off. I’d still like to find out if anyone here can relate to it just in case …
I wouldn't get too concerned honestly, the issues I was seeing are only in Dolby Vision games (which correct me if I'm wrong there aren't a lot of).

With Dolby Vision off and using standard HDR it didn't happen. I will do some more testing soon though and report back.

New firmware 3.124 EU/UK for JZ series

Improvements
Date/Version Description
Nov 24, 2021
Ver.3.124

Improve network applications.
Improve system stability.

New firmware 4.124 Asia / Oceania for JZ series

Improvements
Date/Version Description
Nov. 24, 2021
Ver.4.124

Improve network applications.
Improve system stability.

With the big and regular cycles I've got it on permanent standby anyway so should be fine. By undisturbed I assume you mean not pulling the plug, what happens if I turn the TV back on while the LED is orange, would that be bad?
I meant either switching it off at the rear switch/plug or turning it back on again, as all of those will interrupt a panel maintenance cycle. While it's not the end of the world if it happens by mistake, I would try not to interrupt the cycles if you can help it, especially the 1000 hour one.

Ok thanks, yeah I wouldn't normally. I didn't notice the orange and turned it back on by mistake then realised as it was coming on.

Hi, just received my jz2000. Does anyone know how to sort program order to individual preference. Also can anyone recommend a reasonably priced subwoofer to go with the built in Technics. Thanks

Hi, just received my jz2000. Does anyone know how to sort program order to individual preference. Also can anyone recommend a reasonably priced subwoofer to go with the built in Technics. Thanks
You have to sort the program order in the main program list. Once you´ve done that you can define the favourite list from that.

It is not comfortable but there is no other way or I have´nt found it so far.

That is three steps backward in the firmware because in previous TV series you just can pick your favourite TV station to the favourite list and sort afterwards there. That procedure was very much faster and easier to go.

It is as it is in our world with many technical devices we have. Minimum in 50% of all cases firmware updates or new developments are in many points a step back. Often I have the impression that the development engineers have no new ideas. The design several steps back will correct again some updates later and they sell it as an improvement. TzTzTzTz ....

Best regards,
Jürgen

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom