Panasonic JZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Barney Gumble

Hi

It's absolutely fine and I completely understand. I'd be the same, if my cables weren't easily accessible.

Are you using the PS 5 HDMI Cable or a Third Party HDMI Cable?

Does the game need to support VRR? Maybe that's why I'm not seeing it, even though I have VRR for Unsupported Games Toggled ON.

Thanks

Barry :)
For the PS5 I use the cable supplied but, I was able to double check using a different cable on Thursday or Friday, I forget which now, whilst somebody was here. We didn't dig the cable out, just plugged one in and had it dangling from under the TV for testing sake - same result.

So, we just re-seated the original PS5 one supplied again.

The only games that support VRR (I believe) are the HFR games. It's obviously a lottery as to which work that aren't officially supported, up to 60Hz.

Any that work over 60Hz, we wouldn't be able to check due to the issue associated with VRR and Panasonic TVs.

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
For the PS5 I use the cable supplied but, I was able to double check using a different cable on Thursday or Friday, I forget which now, whilst somebody was here. We didn't dig the cable out, just plugged one in and had it dangling from under the TV for testing sake - same result.

So, we just re-seated the original PS5 one supplied again.

The only games that support VRR (I believe) are the HFR games. It's obviously a lottery as to which work that aren't officially supported, up to 60Hz.

Any that work over 60Hz, we wouldn't be able to check due to the issue associated with VRR and Panasonic TVs.
Hi

I've just connected my Xbox Series X directly to my Panasonic TX65JZ2000B and turned on VRR on the Xbox Series X Settings and set the display to 120HZ, I tried these games:

Halo: Infinite, it displays the following:

3840x2160/119-120Hz/HDR(PQ)/FreeSync Premium

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, it displays the following:

So the Panasonic TX65JZ2000B will display up to 120Hz VRR, so it's just an issue between the TV and the PS5. Hopefully Panasonic will release a Firmware Update to address this at some point this year, sooner, rather than later.

Barney Gumble

Hi

I've just connected my Xbox Series X directly to my Panasonic TX65JZ2000B and turned on VRR on the Xbox Series X Settings and set the display to 120HZ, I tried these games:

Halo: Infinite, it displays the following:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, it displays the following:

So the Panasonic TX65JZ2000B will display up to 120Hz VRR, so it's just an issue between the TV and the PS5. Hopefully Sony will release a Firmware Update to address this at some point this year, sooner, rather than later.

I've read elsewhere that Sony are using the HDMI 2.1 spec for VRR and not utilising Freesync, which makes no sense as the processor on-board is also AMD.

I'm no expert but, could it be this is the reason for the issue associated with Panasonics (rheotirical)?!

Hence, why there are no associated issues with the X-Box, which is utilising Freesync.

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
I've read elsewhere that Sony are using the HDMI 2.1 spec for VRR and not utilising Freesync, which makes no sense as the processor on-board is also AMD.

I'm no expert but, could it be this is the reason for the issue associated with Panasonics (rheotirical)?!

Hence, why there are no associated issues with the X-Box, which is utilising Freesync.
Hi

To be honest, that's above my head lol. I have no idea lol, maybe someone else with more knowledge can answer your question.

Thanks

yourboylollipop

I had the same train of thought .

Sony uses forum VRR due to it being cheaper from my understanding (less or no licensing fees).

The pansonic having problems with forum VRR seems like the most plausible cause . I’m Not aware of any other devices that rely solely on forum vrr so perhaps pansonic had nothing to test it with when they implemented the feature 🤷🏽‍♂️

Barney Gumble

I had the same train of thought .

Sony uses forum VRR due to it being cheaper from my understanding (less or no licensing fees).

The pansonic having problems with forum VRR seems like the most plausible cause . I’m Not aware of any other devices that rely solely on forum vrr so perhaps pansonic had nothing to test it with when they implemented the feature 🤷🏽‍♂️
This sounds entirely plausible and typical of Sony.

They won’t pay for Dolby Atmos, instead choosing to develop some half-arsed proprietary ‘3D audio’ nonsense that equally doesn’t work with every game in the same way VRR doesn’t work with every game.

And no games in Dolby Vision for the same reason.

If Microsoft had some of the Sony exclusives I’d dump the PlayStation in a shot.

Barney Gumble

Freesync is just AMD branded VRR. They're basically the same.
But, they’re not, clearly. VRR via the PS5 isn’t working on Panasonic TVs or a whole swathe of monitors that utilise Freesync.

I’m incredulous to the fact Sony relies on an AMD processor but, hasn’t used Freesync.

Glad that people here rise this issue, I just bought the jz1000 for PS5 specially for the new 120+VRR upgrade.
But now it can only triggered VRR with 60hz or fixed 120, I am very disappointed too! I have emailed to Hong Kong Panasonic and will try to reach Japan side.

yourboylollipop

This sounds entirely plausible and typical of Sony.

They won’t pay for Dolby Atmos, instead choosing to develop some half-arsed proprietary ‘3D audio’ nonsense that equally doesn’t work with every game in the same way VRR doesn’t work with every game.

And no games in Dolby Vision for the same reason.

If Microsoft had some of the Sony exclusives I’d dump the PlayStation in a shot.

Tbh that a fair opinion .

I wouldn’t say I’m a Sony fanboy (other than light banter with mates since the rest Xbox or pc game )- but I was hoping Microsoft would be able to sway me with the latest gen .

The the last two generations of Xbox have definitely been the better polished consoles but the PS5 just has a certain charm that’s hard to describe . Can’t wait to get an oled tv and put my ps5 to the limit . I’ve had Rachet and clank since last June and still haven’t played it lol .

stephentw

I wonder if it's because Panasonic implemented Freesync and doesn't allow to switch to VRR, only Freesync. At least I think. LG have an option to choose between VRR or Freesync.

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
I wonder if it's because Panasonic implemented Freesync and doesn't allow to switch to VRR, only Freesync. At least I think. LG have an option to choose between VRR or Freesync.
Hi

Is it definately a Panasonic issue, and an issue that can be addressed with a Firmware Update?

Thanks in Advance

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Hard to say. Everything works fine on Xbox so I assumed it was Sony but it could just as easily be a Panasonic issue.
Hi

While I'm waiting on a response from Panasonic, I'm going to go back to PlayStation Support, and say VRR doesn't have an issue doing 120Hz on the Xbox/Panasonic TV and see what they say. Probably still blame Panasonic lol.

Thanks

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Hi

I've just sent this response to PlayStaion Support:

Hi

Thanks for your response. I have thoroughly checked my PlayStation 5 and Panasonic TV manuals. VRR is correctly switch on correctly , on both my Panasonic TV and my PlayStation 5. I have another device which isn’t a PlayStation 5 connected to my Panasonic TV and VRR up to 120Hz works correctly, so there’s no issue with my Panasonic TV. So I’m still confused as to why my PlayStation 5 will only do 48-60HZ VRR on my Panasonic TV.

It’s just a thought, maybe VRR on the PlayStation 5 hasn’t been correctly implemented for the likes of the Panasonic TX65JZ2000B. I’ve spoke with others who also own the Panasonic TX65JZ2000B and the PlayStation 5, they are all experiencing the same issue with VRR on the PlayStation 5.

I’d appreciate if this can escalated and be further looked into by the appropriate team.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards

Barry McKelvey

I'll update you guys once I get a response.

tibor101

Standard Member
I have been in contact with Panasonic and tweeted at PlayStation/AskPlaystation. Here goes nothing... I am not sure whos problem it is, and this could be the major issue.

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
I have been in contact with Panasonic and tweeted at PlayStation/AskPlaystation. Here goes nothing... I am not sure whos problem it is, and this could be the major issue.
Hi

Hopefully one of the owns up to the issue. I don't think there's going to be a fix anytime soon unfortunately :-(

Thanks

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
ah, and I also tweeted at Vincent Theo, but I did not hear back from HDTVTest ^^
Hi

I tried to contact him via his website, but couldn't see a contact link :-(

Thanks

Barney Gumble

Hi Barney how are u doing? Hope your health is doing great.

How is it possible guy guys are capped with 60fps once u enable VRR?
How are ya? I'm fine, TY.

Nobody knows for definite but, it's starting to look as if it's down to the way Sony implements VRR.

Frustrating, but not the end of the world.

Barney Gumble

Hi

I've just sent this response to PlayStaion Support:

Hi

Thanks for your response. I have thoroughly checked my PlayStation 5 and Panasonic TV manuals. VRR is correctly switch on correctly , on both my Panasonic TV and my PlayStation 5. I have another device which isn’t a PlayStation 5 connected to my Panasonic TV and VRR up to 120Hz works correctly, so there’s no issue with my Panasonic TV. So I’m still confused as to why my PlayStation 5 will only do 48-60HZ VRR on my Panasonic TV.

It’s just a thought, maybe VRR on the PlayStation 5 hasn’t been correctly implemented for the likes of the Panasonic TX65JZ2000B. I’ve spoke with others who also own the Panasonic TX65JZ2000B and the PlayStation 5, they are all experiencing the same issue with VRR on the PlayStation 5.

I’d appreciate if this can escalated and be further looked into by the appropriate team.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards

Barry McKelvey

I'll update you guys once I get a response.

Having read about it extensively last night across the net, I leaning towards it being a Sony issue.

Until it's confirmed, I will continue to talk about it here. If it is indeed a Sony issue, then we should move the conversation to the right thread on the forum accordingly. At least I will, for the sake of other owners that have zero interest in gaming.

The fact Sony aren't utilising Freesync means they've also excluded lots of monitor owners from benefitting from VRR, as well as us Panasonic owners.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen