Panasonic JZ2000 OLED Owners Thread

Doctor Bravestone

But the rest of us with no problems also have TVs with the same chipset....
I can only go on my experience. Thank you for you help.

If that was the case then we would all be sharing images like yours - it wouldn’t just affect some sets in isolation. The fact that you experienced the same on the Sony as well (which supposedly handles this better) does still suggest something wrong in your settings and/or your equipment chain somewhere.

I wish you better luck next year but I’d again recommend that you take your player and films into a retailer to be sure that you’re happy. It will save you a tonne of grief and a retailer the hassle of having to deal with returns. :thumbsup:

Best,
HB
Very true, and yes, I have done this but the retailer lighting is so bright it masks the issues with near-black. Every possibility I have had a dud JZ2000 but on both sets the issues occur on internal apps, suggesting panel or processing.

Perhaps I am extra sensitive to it, but for now I just need to put this issue to bed for me, in the best way possible for now. Thank you for your assistance throughout, appreciated. 👍🏻

yourboylollipop

Hi folks,

Many thanks for all the help and interesting information provided. I was going to respond to each and every one of you that has been so helpful but I thought it quicker to post just once!

Unfortunately the issues I am seeing are not disappearing, and the effect demonstrated on Arrival is present elsewhere on other sources. As this is the same (and worse) effect as my A90J, it is not the fix I needed it to be and as such, I am returning my JZ2000 (and likely my A90J). What I will do next, I do not know.

My apologies for souring the thread for a little, but your informations and input were very valuable for making my decision. I just don’t have the time to wait to see if it goes away, and to be quite frank I am so fed up after this saga that I simply don’t feel I should.

Enjoy your TVs fellas, I’m sure I’ll see some of you around in due course. Peace!

That’s a shame to hear - all the best man .

I share the optimism with the others - I’m sure you’ll have better luck with your next set but I can understand y you feel pessimistically burnt out .

Hopefully , you won’t experience these issues on the QD Oleds but personally I wouldn’t hedge any bets on it . If your done with the whole oled deal , then maybe Sony’s X95J and Panasonic’s top JX might be worth looking into as a short term tv until microleds are actually within our Reach ….

Hopefully you’ll be able to get a replacement of a JZ2000 without the issue . Seems that this problem isn’t exactly universal with every single mediatek tv - tho if I was in your shoes I’d probably feel otherwise .

All the best mate

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
This was definitely a thing on standard blu ray too so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same on 4K, I remember specifically getting the US release of the Interstellar blu as it was better than the UK one.

They aren't all manufactured in one place and shipped all around the world, different distributors have rights to different films in different regions (despite there being no region locking now) and don't always use the same encodes.

From memory I think VLC shows the current frame by frame bitrate being played on discs so can be used to compare bitrates between different discs.

Yep. And Interstellar 4K is better than the Blu of course - and has extra scenes in IMAX format compared to the Blu too. There's a lot of differences when you go looking for them!

stephentw

Ahh I recently went on a bit of a 4K buying binge and Interstellar is now in the pile 🙂 Not watched it yet though. Thanks.

twojoes

Novice Member
I am sorry @Doctor Bravestone , I don't see the same posterisation, not enough to concern me.

I noted two things; first, you can see it a little in my pics but, not on the screen in real time. So, that's something the camera is picking up that the eye isn't.

Second, I noticed a while ago that the first time you play something in HDR10, the ambient sensor is enabled (again) and has to be disabled per input, when using HDR for the first time.
Hi, first post for me, I'm a total newbie to all this. And this is my first 4k oled, so excuse me if i ask anything dumb. But as I caught a moment of this posterisation on my new set too (Ad Astra hd film on prime), so trying to see if I also have an issue. The problem is for me is to get a reference to compare. Normal HD from sky and etc seem fine, but I do find it sometime a little harsh on certain recorded content where there is rapid camera movements & zooms (gold rush white water), so probably already worried about this TV. But generally the picture is great otherwise. Anyway, I've looked on youtube and there are various videos - this one shows colour banding etc - but I've no way to know if this is due to the you tube source or the TV. Can someone (with a good tv) be able to comment on what they get? - Thanks. PS. If anyone has alternative recommendation for a test video etc, please let me know. thx.

Edcole555

Hi everyone, looking for some help, and guessing has been asked in here before but I can't find it.

When using Apps such as Netflix my TV will just randomly turn off. I've turned every power saving setting off, but it keeps happening.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution, I'm getting ready to call Panasonic, but thought I'd ask here 1st

Yazza007

Novice Member
Hi everyone, looking for some help, and guessing has been asked in here before but I can't find it.

When using Apps such as Netflix my TV will just randomly turn off. I've turned every power saving setting off, but it keeps happening.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution, I'm getting ready to call Panasonic, but thought I'd ask here 1st
Not come across this myself at all, but have you tried a full reset and logging in to your apps again? Could fix the issue.

dotnotbot

Hi, first post for me, I'm a total newbie to all this. And this is my first 4k oled, so excuse me if i ask anything dumb. But as I caught a moment of this posterisation on my new set too (Ad Astra hd film on prime), so trying to see if I also have an issue. The problem is for me is to get a reference to compare. Normal HD from sky and etc seem fine, but I do find it sometime a little harsh on certain recorded content where there is rapid camera movements & zooms (gold rush white water), so probably already worried about this TV. But generally the picture is great otherwise. Anyway, I've looked on youtube and there are various videos - this one shows colour banding etc - but I've no way to know if this is due to the you tube source or the TV. Can someone (with a good tv) be able to comment on what they get? - Thanks. PS. If anyone has alternative recommendation for a test video etc, please let me know. thx.

The banding is clearly in the video. In my experience youtube is useless if you want to check for color banding since even the highest quality videos have a lot, it's because of lousy compression.

BTW this video was uploaded by the famous clown, Quantum TV. He disabled comments of course so that no one can point out that it's wrong. It may be only useful if you want to test color debanding filter (which Panasonic TVs don't offer unfortunately). But I guarantee that every TV will show a lot of banding displaying this "test" since it's in the source.

Last edited:

BarryMcKelvey

Hi

Is there any films/apps I can use to check for banding on my Panasonic TX65JZ2000B?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)

Snowfire

Mindhunters season 1 episode 8 on Netflix - starting at 47:15. Good scene here, suggest watching in dark a room as possible.

kidznok

Novice Member
Hi,
I just registered just for JZ2000 topic.
I would like to buy 65 JZ2000 but I just wonder how glossy is this OLED.
Now I have TX-50CX700E from 2015 and it's still good for me but I would like to buy sth bigger and better. I have north-facing window but I'm worried this screen will be to glossy.
I watch sports, films and tv series.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hi,
I just registered just for JZ2000 topic.
I would like to buy 65 JZ2000 but I just wonder how glossy is this OLED.
Now I have TX-50CX700E from 2015 and it's still good for me but I would like to buy sth bigger and better. I have north-facing window but I'm worried this screen will be to glossy.
I watch sports, films and tv series.
Not very much in my experience. It has an effective anti reflection coating.
A black filter that suppresses the influence of ambient light reflection and improves the tightness of black is used so that you can view high-contrast images even in a bright room such as a living room in the daytime. You can enjoy the excellent black reproducibility and dark gradation expression of the OLED VIERA TV.
高画質 | 4Kダブルチューナー内蔵 有機ELテレビ JZ2000シリーズ | 商品一覧 | 4K液晶・有機ELテレビ ビエラ | Panasonic

Panasonic’s anti-reflective filter is very good. It is identical to those of the Oled models of 2018, 2019 and 2020. The anti-reflective coating manages to dilute most light reflections. The result is among the best on the market, but does not match that of Samsung’s high-end televisions, such as the 65Q85R, Q950TS and 65QN95A, true benchmarks on this point.

Panasonic TX-65JZ2000 review: the best Oled TV is ready for the future

But like all panels it can be reflective you have (spot) lights in a position which can be reflected. For your windows get blinds or curtains if necessary for daylight watching.

Last edited:

kidznok

Novice Member
Not very much in my experience. It has an effective anti reflection coating.
Panasonic’s anti-reflective filter is very good. It is identical to those of the Oled models of 2018, 2019 and 2020. The anti-reflective coating manages to dilute most light reflections. The result is among the best on the market, but does not match that of Samsung’s high-end televisions, such as the 65Q85R, Q950TS and 65QN95A, true benchmarks on this point.
Panasonic TX-65JZ2000 review: the best Oled TV is ready for the future

But like all panels it can be if you have (spot) lights in a position which can be reflected. For your windows get blinds or curtains if necessary for daylight watching.
Thank you very much.
I have blinds but I hope they're not be use.

Tomorrow is last day of special offer for 65JZ2000 so I'm still thinking :)
There is a few tv right now and I don't think the price will be lower.
Is it smart to wait for summer and new model? HDMI 2.1 is future so what new they can add to KZ2000...
It's expensive tv but with 5 years protection I hope it will be okay.

yourboylollipop

Thank you very much.
I have blinds but I hope they're not be use.

Tomorrow is last day of special offer for 65JZ2000 so I'm still thinking :)
There is a few tv right now and I don't think the price will be lower.
Is it smart to wait for summer and new model? HDMI 2.1 is future so what new they can add to KZ2000...
It's expensive tv but with 5 years protection I hope it will be okay.

In regards to waiting for the new model - I would say it really depends on your use case .

If you are an Xbox or pc gamer - I think waiting could have some merits due to vrr flicker issues on oled .

If you are someone who is very very sensitive to near black gradation I think waiting may be a good idea .

But those are two niche use cases - I think for a majority of people , I don’t see a reason to wait. If you are worried about FOMO , CES2022 is only around the corner - so you can wait until the new models are at least announced .

Bare in mind buying the newest model in the summer will likely be significantly more costly then buying now due to inflated MSSRP release prices .

I’ve been pondering the same thing as well (whether to go for the JZ2000 or wait for a newer model ). The room that the Panasonic oled will go in - is still being renovated so buying the tv right now isn’t exactly practical for me

hammer man

Hi everyone, had a 55jz2000 delivered and now set up by myself.

Impressive picture quality all round. However, I may have made a school boy error when connecting everything up.
I put the amazon cube into hdmi 1 and my onkyo 609 AV receiver (which is eventually going) into hdmi 2 (earc).
When watching something from the cube that is supposed to be Atmos I’m only getting DD+ on the “i” button.
Should the cube have been connected to the earc input.
I must say I’m very pleased with the inbuilt speakers, but would be nice to see Atmos display on screen.
Asking here first before I drag it all back out to see for myself.
Thoughts and advice welcome,
Many thanks in advance.

Snowfire

Impressive picture quality all round. However, I may have made a school boy error when connecting everything up.
I put the amazon cube into hdmi 1 and my onkyo 609 AV receiver (which is eventually going) into hdmi 2 (earc).
When watching something from the cube that is supposed to be Atmos I’m only getting DD+ on the “i” button.
I must say I’m very pleased with the inbuilt speakers, but would be nice to see Atmos display on screen.
Many thanks in advance.

No, should be fine. I've got my Sonos arc into hdmi 2 and my Nvidia shield into hdmi 1. Obviously this is using passthrough and a JZ1500 but should be same as above in terms of the technical side of things.

hammer man

No, should be fine. I've got my Sonos arc into hdmi 2 and my Nvidia shield into hdmi 1. Obviously this is using passthrough and a JZ1500 but should be same as above in terms of the technical side of things.

Ok thanks for that. When you say using pass through, where in the settings do I find that.
Sorry for questioning but I’ve been in so many menus and tried different things I’ve got myself in a bit of a headspin.
Also , should it say Atmos on screen?
Thanks for your time 👍

Snowfire

Ok thanks for that. When you say using pass through, where in the settings do I find that.
Sorry for questioning but I’ve been in so many menus and tried different things I’ve got myself in a bit of a headspin.
Thanks for your time 👍
Passthrough is in the sound options, but this is if you are using external speakers/soundbar etc. Assuming as you've got the JZ2000 you are using inbuilt speakers.

TAFFH

Novice Member
Hi, I use a Yamaha 2700 with my current tv. I am about to purchase the 65jz1500 but was wondering is the 65jz2000 sound with its atmos etc better than my soundbar. If so I’ll get the 2000. Regards mark

two2midnight

Distinguished Member

Many thanks in advance.
Have you got atmos turned on in the JZ2000 sound settings?
Your choice of HDMI is OK.

hammer man

Thanks all. Yes, I’m going to eventually just use the tv speaker as front room being decorated in spring so coming away from existing 7.1 set up. Decided to go with 2000 rather than 1500 as accrued £460 John Lewis vouchers so they paid the difference in my mind 😜
Sounds like I’m ok with connection just need to find a setting to get tv to show Atmos.
As regards the quality of the inbuilt speakers, so far I’m impressed by the sounds but have the option of adding the existing sub (minx 201?) just for added bass.
Also if needed may go for Sonos system as already on their platform elsewhere in the house.

I’ve checked and Atmos is selected. Not disappointed at all with existing sounds but would be nice just to see Atmos on screen rather than DD+ when available.
Perhaps I just need to get out more. 😂
Once again, really appreciate your time and advice.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Thanks all. Yes, I’m going to eventually just use the tv speaker as front room being decorated in spring so coming away from existing 7.1 set up. Decided to go with 2000 rather than 1500 as accrued £460 John Lewis vouchers so they paid the difference in my mind 😜
Sounds like I’m ok with connection just need to find a setting to get tv to show Atmos.
As regards the quality of the inbuilt speakers, so far I’m impressed by the sounds but have the option of adding the existing sub (minx 201?) just for added bass.
Also if needed may go for Sonos system as already on their platform elsewhere in the house.

I’ve checked and Atmos is selected. Not disappointed at all with existing sounds but would be nice just to see Atmos on screen rather than DD+ when available.
Perhaps I just need to get out more. 😂
Once again, really appreciate your time and advice.
If you are using a receiver or soundbar you will not see the atmos popup banner on the JZ2000 screen. It only shows when the TV itself is decoding the soundtrack, not when it is passing through to another external device..

dion 6

Atmos should should show up as you have your fire cube connected to an hdmi input on the TV it doesn't matter if its passed through to a avr or not as long as its connected to a hdmi input on the TV. On my 65 inch GZ if my firestick is connected to my avr the tv gives no notifications but if its connected directly to the tvs hdmi port you get dolby Atmos, hdr10+ and dolby vision notifications

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon